Lazard

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

3.4

Summer Analyst Interview

So far only completed first round interview. The interview took consisted of a case study followed by an interview. The case study was, surprisingly, individual work and it took about an hour. I think what they are looking out for is a sense of commercial awareness and ability to develop your reasoning clearly and cogently, rather than coming up with a 'right' answer. Following that, the interview was pretty standard, i.e. why M&A, why Lazard, give me an example when you demonstrated X (leadership, commercial awareness)

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Lazard in October 2014.

Online application which consisted of some competency questions and psychometric tests. Next stage was a first round interview which consisted of a competency interview, numerical test and presentation. For the presentation we were given some documents on a company called dynago which was quite similar to HMV and we had to prepare a 3 page presentation on PowerPoint. If you have time I would suggest using excel as well to plot graphs and make charts. Formatting is quite important but make sure you finish the presentation. Got invited for the second round, which was an assessment centre. The day consisted of a group exercise and individual presentation. In the group exercise we were all given information on potential buyers of dynaGo and supposed to evaluate them based on some key measures. We all had to agree and rank the buyers. As everyone was given different companies expect ppl to make cases for why their company should be higher. The individual presentation was about another buyer who was not mentioned. A few questions on the due diligence process was asked. We had to prepare slides on A2 papers. Didn't get through to the final round.

M&A Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

College alum forwarded my resume to the HR department. Got a phone call from Beijing Office in a week. Attended written test in the following week. Invited for in-person interview in 1+ months.

Stagiaire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lazard in February 2014.

J'ai eu droit à deux entretiens : un premier avec des analystes et l'un des directeurs. Les questions étaient principalement sur ma motivation et mes compétences. Le second entretien était avec deux directeurs. Les questions étaient techniques et théoriques.

Interview Questions
    • Des questions sur la macroéconomie et les expertises. J'ai eu l'impression qu'on me demandait de connaître l'ensemble de ce qu'il se passe dans le monde et d'être capable de l'analyser et de donner des propositions à ce sujet.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

First rounds were conducted on campus, contacted the same evening to attend a Superday at the office. Relatively straightforward questions on valuation and basic qualitative questions (tell me about yourself, why banking, why Lazard, tell me about some of the recent deals this office has done, etc.). Superday was 3 hours long.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me why one company may have a higher multiple (any multiple of choice) than another   Answer Question

Stagiaire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lazard in September 2013.

L'entretien pour un stage se déroule en 4 étapes : deux étapes avec des analystes et deux étapes avec des collaborateurs. Étant donné que c'était pour les Telecoms et l'équipe technique, les entretiens étaient orientés sur les aspects stratégiques des acteurs majeurs des Telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone et pour la France : Orange, SFR Bouygues et Free). La récente cession par Vivendi de ses parts de Maroc Telecom (IAM) était le sujet principal de l'entretien car j'avais appris par un stagiaire que l'équipe travaillait actuellement sur l'affaire. À propos de la partie technique : les méthodes d’évaluation et les cas en comptabilité ont été brièvement abordés.

Interview Questions
    • La question la plus difficile selon moi était : que mettriez-vous dans un pitch de présentation ?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

We had interviews on campus as part of our school's recruitment process.

M&A Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

Got in contact via campus recruitment. The employees from the Amsterdam office were very friendly and answered all questions. After a workshop on campus, for which there was CV selection, there was one more interview at the office. There were no really difficult questions in general, but the interviewers went quite into detail when it came to technical questions --> so be prepared!

Interview Questions
    • Really know the intuitions behind every item in the free cash flow analysis, what happens if this goes up, this goes down, by how much etc. Know multiples very well. Give your forecast fo the M&A market in the next year, which industries might do well/poorly?
      Also, why don't you want to do consulting instead? What's so special about our firm, compared to competitors?
        Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

There were three components: business case study, numerical reasoning test (again), and general interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, very standard. Why Lazard, what differentiates you from others etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

One interview round with about 4 bankers - 2 analysts, 1 associate, 1 vp. Interview process went by pretty standard - walk me through your resume, questions about high school, university, previous internships, extra curricular activities, why I want to do investment banking, why I choose to apply for Lazard and what I want to gain through that internship. Technical questions are fairly easy and so are the brain teasers

Interview Questions
    • It's 12:15, how many degrees are the minute and hour hands apart?   View Answer
    not applicable