Lazard Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

3.4

Spring Week Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lazard.

Interview

Had to send an email application to Lazard Graduate Recruitment: this consisted of a CV and a cover letter specifying why Lazard and also what previous experiences set you apart from other potential candidates. This was followed by a 20 minute first round telephone interview with graduate recruitment, and would be followed by a final face-to-face interview at their offices in London.

Spring Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

competency mainly, phone then in person, phone interview was ok, was asked what an independent bank was, in person was a group with one hr person and two bankers who asked questions about competency stuff but also about why i chose lazard and not other banks. Also asked why i wanted to be involved in m and a and investment banking.

Interview Questions

• give us an example of where you have applied old knowledge to a new situation   Answer Question

Spring Week Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

15 minute telephone interview-competency heavy
    45 minute final round at their London office-mix of technical and competency-emphasis on understanding your character. One HR member, and one VP made up the interview panel

Spring Insight Week Interview

Application

interviewed at Lazard in January 2015.

Interview

Very short telephone interview: roughly ten minutes. No choice in timing for the interview, I was given a set time and had to adjust for it. The questions were all standard competency and motivation questions. No technical or commercial awareness questions. Very quick response afterwards. Next stage is a face-to-face interview. More technical and commercial awareness questions there.

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

So far only completed first round interview. The interview took consisted of a case study followed by an interview. The case study was, surprisingly, individual work and it took about an hour. I think what they are looking out for is a sense of commercial awareness and ability to develop your reasoning clearly and cogently, rather than coming up with a 'right' answer. Following that, the interview was pretty standard, i.e. why M&A, why Lazard, give me an example when you demonstrated X (leadership, commercial awareness)

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest failure?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Long application form but fairly standard. Numerical and verbal reasoning tests. Very quick response (two days later) invited to first round interview at their office. An hour case study on a company, had to produce a one page summary on a computer from a long paper report. Key here is to work fast and efficiently. It is better to leave out some detail and finish than to not finish the task. I found this stage quite challenging. A re test of the numerical reasoning. A 30 minute interview on the case study and some general competency questions. Invited to next round AC but received an offer from another banks so I didn't attend.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in three words? Which other banks have you applied to and why? What is your greatest disappointment?   Answer Question

Full Time Analyst Position At Lazard Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview process was quite quick (7 days after submitting all the documents). I was called by an HR lady who previously worked as a banker herself and at some point decided to become an hr as she wanted to start a family. Without even introducing myself she asked about my biggest failure which was quite unpleasant at the very start. In overall, the interview was standard

Interview Questions

• Candidates should know why Lazard is so special (this question comes after the question where else did you apply) and you should learn all the divisions (even if you do not apply there) and what they do there.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Online application which consisted of some competency questions and psychometric tests. Next stage was a first round interview which consisted of a competency interview, numerical test and presentation. For the presentation we were given some documents on a company called dynago which was quite similar to HMV and we had to prepare a 3 page presentation on PowerPoint. If you have time I would suggest using excel as well to plot graphs and make charts. Formatting is quite important but make sure you finish the presentation. Got invited for the second round, which was an assessment centre. The day consisted of a group exercise and individual presentation. In the group exercise we were all given information on potential buyers of dynaGo and supposed to evaluate them based on some key measures. We all had to agree and rank the buyers. As everyone was given different companies expect ppl to make cases for why their company should be higher. The individual presentation was about another buyer who was not mentioned. A few questions on the due diligence process was asked. We had to prepare slides on A2 papers. Didn't get through to the final round.

Stagiaire Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lazard (Paris (France)) in February 2014.

Interview

J'ai eu droit à deux entretiens : un premier avec des analystes et l'un des directeurs. Les questions étaient principalement sur ma motivation et mes compétences. Le second entretien était avec deux directeurs. Les questions étaient techniques et théoriques.

I had 2 interviews: first with ananlysts and with one of the managing directors. Was asked mainly about my motivation and skills. The second interview was conducted by another two managing directors. Questions were technical and theoretical.

Interview Questions

• Des questions sur la macroéconomie et les expertises. J'ai eu l'impression qu'on me demandait de connaître l'ensemble de ce qu'il se passe dans le monde et d'être capable de l'analyser et de donner des propositions à ce sujet.   Questions on Macroeconomics, Valuation. I had an impression that I should've had full understanding of things happening in the world and to be able to analyze it and give some propositions concerning it.   Answer Question

M&A Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lazard (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in October 2013.

Interview

College alum forwarded my resume to the HR department. Got a phone call from Beijing Office in a week. Attended written test in the following week. Invited for in-person interview in 1+ months.