Lazard Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014
32 interviews

3.4

M&A Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

College alum forwarded my resume to the HR department. Got a phone call from Beijing Office in a week. Attended written test in the following week. Invited for in-person interview in 1+ months.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in February 2014.

I had 2 interviews: first with ananlysts and with one of the managing directors. Was asked mainly about my motivation and skills. The second interview was conducted by another two managing directors. Questions were technical and theoretical.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on Macroeconomics, Valuation. I had an impression that I should've had full understanding of things happening in the world and to be able to analyze it and give some propositions concerning it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in September 2013.

The interview process for an internship implies 4 rounds : two with analysts and two with associates. Since it was for the Telecoms and Tech team, the interviews were very oriented on the strategic aspects of the major actors in Telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, and in France : Orange, SFR, Bouygues, and Free). The recent disposal of Vivendi of its shares in Maroc Telecom (IAM), was the main subject of the interviews, since I knew from an intern that the team was currently working on the deal. concerning the technical part: valuation methods, and accounting cases were briefly discussed.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was for me: what do you put in a pitch presentation ?   Answer Question

M&A Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

Got in contact via campus recruitment. The employees from the Amsterdam office were very friendly and answered all questions. After a workshop on campus, for which there was CV selection, there was one more interview at the office. There were no really difficult questions in general, but the interviewers went quite into detail when it came to technical questions --> so be prepared!

Interview Questions
    • Really know the intuitions behind every item in the free cash flow analysis, what happens if this goes up, this goes down, by how much etc. Know multiples very well. Give your forecast fo the M&A market in the next year, which industries might do well/poorly?
      Also, why don't you want to do consulting instead? What's so special about our firm, compared to competitors?
        Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

There were three components: business case study, numerical reasoning test (again), and general interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, very standard. Why Lazard, what differentiates you from others etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

One interview round with about 4 bankers - 2 analysts, 1 associate, 1 vp. Interview process went by pretty standard - walk me through your resume, questions about high school, university, previous internships, extra curricular activities, why I want to do investment banking, why I choose to apply for Lazard and what I want to gain through that internship. Technical questions are fairly easy and so are the brain teasers

Interview Questions
    • It's 12:15, how many degrees are the minute and hour hands apart?   View Answer
    not applicable

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Lazard.

Passed the initial application by answering 4 questions about motivation, the company etc then put through to numerical reasoning, then had to pass a verbal reasoning and was invited to AC1 in London headquarters (tasks: company summary, numerical re-reasoning and fit interview with HR). Having passed that I was then invited to AC2 in London HW again ( tasks: Group exercise, Individual exercise and lunch with previous interns).

Interview Questions
    • Individual exercise, hard to read how you were doing as your presentation went on. General Q&A after presentation difficult, very poignant questions, looking for specific answers which I couldn't necessarily give.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

Online application which included a few short questions on motivation and 1 technical question on valuation methods. First round interview was mainly fit and was conducted by HR. I also re took the initial maths test to prove I'd done it the first time on my own. Second round was a group discussion followed by an individual presentation.

Interview Questions
    • During my presentation (on a due diligence case study) I was asked how I would handle a request for specific legal information. Unexpected.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2010.

Three round interviews by VPs and MDs. Includes detailed technical questions regarding accounting, corporate finance and project management, followed by an on-site 3-hour financial modeling and comps test.

Summer Advisory/IBD Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

1. Online application (lengthy, difficult)
    2. Online tests (Verbal + Numerical) - simple
    3. First round interview in the office. 1) Numerical tests online (pretty much the same as online) 2) Case study (You have to summarise a deal between two companies- very simple) 3) Standard Interview with HR (Why banking, Why Lazard, etc)
    4. Second round is an AC. 1) Group exercise (you describe the best acquisition target between the candidates) - quite hard because of the quality of people, especially if you are foreign. 2) Presentation. (You get given 20 minutes to prepare a 5 minute presentation about potential acquisition). Hard task, because very little time. Make sure you are confident about what you say and you have a structure.
    5. Didn't get to this stage...

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected of difficult questions, they rather wanna see how you behave.   Answer Question