Lazard

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Intern Interview

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process for an internship implies 4 rounds : two with analysts and two with associates. Since it was for the Telecoms and Tech team, the interviews were very oriented on the strategic aspects of the major actors in Telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, and in France : Orange, SFR, Bouygues, and Free). The recent disposal of Vivendi of its shares in Maroc Telecom (IAM), was the main subject of the interviews, since I knew from an intern that the team was currently working on the deal. concerning the technical part: valuation methods, and accounting cases were briefly discussed.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was for me: what do you put in a pitch presentation ?   Answer Question

M&A Analyst Intern Interview

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

Interview Details – Got in contact via campus recruitment. The employees from the Amsterdam office were very friendly and answered all questions. After a workshop on campus, for which there was CV selection, there was one more interview at the office. There were no really difficult questions in general, but the interviewers went quite into detail when it came to technical questions --> so be prepared!

Interview Question – Really know the intuitions behind every item in the free cash flow analysis, what happens if this goes up, this goes down, by how much etc. Know multiples very well. Give your forecast fo the M&A market in the next year, which industries might do well/poorly?
Also, why don't you want to do consulting instead? What's so special about our firm, compared to competitors?
  Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in October 2013.

Interview Details – There were three components: business case study, numerical reasoning test (again), and general interview questions.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, very standard. Why Lazard, what differentiates you from others etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

Interview Details – One interview round with about 4 bankers - 2 analysts, 1 associate, 1 vp. Interview process went by pretty standard - walk me through your resume, questions about high school, university, previous internships, extra curricular activities, why I want to do investment banking, why I choose to apply for Lazard and what I want to gain through that internship. Technical questions are fairly easy and so are the brain teasers

Interview Question – It's 12:15, how many degrees are the minute and hour hands apart?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – not applicable

Summer Internship Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Lazard.

Interview Details – Passed the initial application by answering 4 questions about motivation, the company etc then put through to numerical reasoning, then had to pass a verbal reasoning and was invited to AC1 in London headquarters (tasks: company summary, numerical re-reasoning and fit interview with HR). Having passed that I was then invited to AC2 in London HW again ( tasks: Group exercise, Individual exercise and lunch with previous interns).

Interview Question – Individual exercise, hard to read how you were doing as your presentation went on. General Q&A after presentation difficult, very poignant questions, looking for specific answers which I couldn't necessarily give.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

Interview Details – Online application which included a few short questions on motivation and 1 technical question on valuation methods. First round interview was mainly fit and was conducted by HR. I also re took the initial maths test to prove I'd done it the first time on my own. Second round was a group discussion followed by an individual presentation.

Interview Question – During my presentation (on a due diligence case study) I was asked how I would handle a request for specific legal information. Unexpected.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2010.

Interview Details – Three round interviews by VPs and MDs. Includes detailed technical questions regarding accounting, corporate finance and project management, followed by an on-site 3-hour financial modeling and comps test.

Interview Question – Financial modeling test on-site.   Answer Question

Summer Advisory/IBD Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Online application (lengthy, difficult)
2. Online tests (Verbal + Numerical) - simple
3. First round interview in the office. 1) Numerical tests online (pretty much the same as online) 2) Case study (You have to summarise a deal between two companies- very simple) 3) Standard Interview with HR (Why banking, Why Lazard, etc)
4. Second round is an AC. 1) Group exercise (you describe the best acquisition target between the candidates) - quite hard because of the quality of people, especially if you are foreign. 2) Presentation. (You get given 20 minutes to prepare a 5 minute presentation about potential acquisition). Hard task, because very little time. Make sure you are confident about what you say and you have a structure.
5. Didn't get to this stage...

Interview Question – There were no unexpected of difficult questions, they rather wanna see how you behave.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lazard.

Interview Details – At least 2 initial interviews with recruitment consultant. About 4 interviews with progressively senior team members at the company. The first interview was quite long, perhaps 2 hours. The last with 2 senior managing partners, was about 5 minutes.

Interview Question – I was given some quite specific "game theory" type questions, along the lines of the Prisoners' Dilemma, not so much to give a "correct" answer, but more for them to see how I thought through a logical, ethical, business problem   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a pretty attractive package. I did not negotiate on the salary, but I did on some of the benefits. I got everything I asked for.

M&A Summer Analyst Interview

Paris (France)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

Interview Details – summer analyst in the Telecom and tech team. i had 3 interviews, 1 with an analyst and 2 with associates. each interview lasted for 45 minutes, mainly technical. they asked about evaluation methods, mainly multiples, then deals about telecom i already know about, why Lazard, questions about earlier internhips, etc
they mainly need multicultural graduates, who speaks different langages.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lazard