Lazard Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

6 interviews

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

We had interviews on campus as part of our school's recruitment process.

Other Interview Reviews for Lazard

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Was interviewed by 2 guys, one associate and one junior analyst. The interview was very laid-back, mostly fit questions like going through my resume, why I wanted to work in investment banking, which sectors I was interested in and so on. They were both very nice, no good cop, bad cop. They did throw in some technical questions, but they were basic accounting questions.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in October 2011.

Normal on-campus recruiting process. First round was a two-on-one interview with Associates. Mainly technical questions, fairly intense. One interviewer would ask a question and the other would interrupt my response with another technical question. They were nice enough guys though, as after I answered a bunch of technicals correctly the tone of the interview shifted and became much more lighthearted. Nothing unexpected though. Invitation to superday a few days later. Superday consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews with VPs and Associates. Fewer technical questions, more fit questions as well as some brainteaser/probability questions.

Interview Questions
    • standard valuation, accounting questions. ex: can you have negative enterprise value, etc?   Answer Question
    • why lazard?   View Answer

Have heard bad things about culture and bonuses. Had another offer at a similar firm.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lazard in December 2012.

Online application which included a few short questions on motivation and 1 technical question on valuation methods. First round interview was mainly fit and was conducted by HR. I also re took the initial maths test to prove I'd done it the first time on my own. Second round was a group discussion followed by an individual presentation.

Interview Questions
    • During my presentation (on a due diligence case study) I was asked how I would handle a request for specific legal information. Unexpected.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in April 2011.

Applied online through email and received first round interview a few days after. First-round interview took place in office with 2 analyst/associate. It was a general fit type of interview, questions about resume and knowledge of deals. Whole interview lasted for half an hour; went really smoothly.
    Second-round interview was with 2 directors at the firm's office again: covered more technical and fit-based questions as well as questions on Why Lazard etc. Process went really smoothly and made it to the next round which was a group case study. Most of the participants did not know much about pitchbook presentation, valuation and modelling. As the sell-side advisor, we had to recommend whether to sell the company given its the strategic rationale, risk, valuation appropriate for the company, and how we should approach the offer etc. The whole case study lasted for 2 hours and presentation for 15mins with 10mins Q&A. Then we had a networking event with the senior bankers.
    Perception of the culture of the firm was quite neutral personally. Firm had around 15 people at the office which I found was not my fit. Didn't click with the bankers at the office. Work culture I heard was quite rough (heard stories of many all-nighters there)

Interview Questions
    • Why would you choose a firm like Lazard over a bulge bracket like Credit Suisse?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lazard in October 2007.

On-campus interview
    Final rounds at the office (interviewed with 5-6 people)
    Asked basic banking questions: Why Banking? Why Lazard? Why you?
    Asked questions you can get from vault: How do you value a company? What are the ways? (and gets into more and more detail to see how well you know)
    Basic behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • You're a banker and you hate banking -- it'll take you a truck load of money to convince you to be a banker. How much money is in the truck?   View Answer
    I negotiated for two weeks -- I wanted to be in the Restructuring group

Worked for Lazard? Contribute to the Community!