Le Pain Quotidien

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien

Interview Details – I came in twice. The first time was the official interview with basic interview questions but a major stress on availability. The second time I came in they said they wanted to hire me and I filled out paperwork.

Interview Question – Worst and best customers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of 6 emails back and forth. 1st meet with DM,2nd meet with RDM,3rd meet with store mgr.waited 9 days and was told I was hired. then 3 days later 1 strange phone interview. Then another week before a start date total of 3 week wait to get an answer. Ridiculous

Interview Question – barely any questions asked about my professional experience,alot of chit chat while the DM and RDM ate lunch in front of me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation, they made an offer of 42,000 and was promised bonuses and extra days off. never happened

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien in April 2013.

Interview Details – I met the recruiter at my school and she immediately signed me up for an interview the following week. Met with her the next week and the interview went great. She asked me to come in to one of the stores for a few hours for a "Day in the Life." I talked with a lot of emplyees, met the GM, and felt that it went well. I followed up after that day by phone and email and never got a response back. They seemed overwhelmed with fast company growth and new applicants and I was disappointed that they never concluded the process either way.

Interview Question – Where do you want to be in five years?   Answer Question

Calabasas, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien in July 2012.

Interview Details – Series of interview with the store's Assistant Managers and General Manager. The process of getting the job required a lot of unscheduled visits to the restaurant in order to let the management know that I was serious about the position.

The interviews usually lasted about 15 to 20 minutes (professional dress is required), and after the second interview the questions start sounding the same. Overall, it is a well thought out interview process.

Interview Question – What makes you qualified for this position when you have very little experience in coffee making?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was an entry level position, so there was no negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien in March 2013.

Interview Details – 1) Walked in a location in lower Manhattan. The manager told me about the "job fair".
2) Went to their "job fair". Awesome interview by a manager of a store. All questions were pretty much about why I want to work at Le Pain and I could talk about my passion for European food etc. Very positive.
3) Group interview with HR department.
First you are led into a waiting room. Then you sign in with your ID. Then they lead you downstairs, then you go into a meeting room and everyone introduces him-/herself. You have to say your name, for which position in which location you apply and why you apply.
Then there is a break. After the break you get to build towers from carton and paper, materials provided. You work in teams of 2 or 3 people. The tower must be in a certain height, and it has to be stable to hold a cup of coffee on it. You have 8 minutes to complete the project.
Then the 3 HR persons leave and when they come back they sort out those who don't get the position.

In my case I didn't get the job because they didn't like my team-work. I was in a group of 3 and one person tried to build one that didn't match the height and the other literally didn't understand English. So I finally pulled one together that matches the height but the guy who didn't speak English tore it apart... HR made a break and asked everyone what do we think of our teams and how was our project going. In our case they asked it right after the 'tower' was thrown apart. I answered that I thought that our teamwork sucked.

I had the opportunity to talk to the regional manager about why I was not hired and he said that I have no teamwork skills whatsoever because I criticized my team. I asked if he thought that I have to say the teamwork is going well right after a person who doesn't understand English and the other doesn't get the instructions destroy the paper tower. His answer was that if I am interviewed for a position I have no right to say my side of story.

The guy who didn't speak English was not hired and the other guy whom I had to repeat three times what HR said about height of the tower and sturdiness was hired.

2 of the 3 HR people have never worked on floor, they are office workers.

Don't think that the fact that you have a passion for their product or restaurants is gonna impress them.

Side note: along with cartons in box there were some interesting magazines and during the break where they asked what we thought about our teamwork I dared to look at a magazine and turn a page. My hand was physically grabbed by a PR person saying that I am not allowed to look at a magazine.

Interview Question – Had to build a box from papers.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien in February 2011.

Interview Details – My first encounter was a hiring sign on the door. I went in, filled out an application, and agreed on a date to call the hiring manager of the store to come in for an interview. I came in, had my interview, and was offered a position. It was a pretty simple affair. Both times I came, I came during off-peak hours so the restaurant was quiet and everyone felt pretty relaxed.

Interview Question – What's your general availability?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate anything. The thing with hourly positions is that the company tends to have a standard rate they're willing to pay for certain positions, and sometimes they just use the state minimum. Not so here, they offered me above minimum wage, but it wasn't negotiated.
They did negotiate my schedule with me, and always do, when I want to have, or need, time off.

Manager General Manager Interview

Manager General Manager
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien in January 2010.

Interview Details – What they called a management job fair, Bring resume!! Went to the location specified about 50 applicants in total. Walk in sign sheet wait while they are interviewing in same room, first you speak to one regional and if you pass his test, you are asked to wait, then you see the next regional manager, they promise callback but never follow through.

Interview Question – The management position is very mundane, what will you do for stimulation?   View Answer

Kitchen Prep Interview

Kitchen Prep

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien.

Interview Details – Very quick process from application through hiring. An initial one on one interview and then a group interview. The group interview focuses on whether or not potential employees will fit with the team.

Interview Question – What are you looking forward to about a job with LPQ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible - the wages are set centrally for in-store positions.

Server Interview

Server

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Le Pain Quotidien in March 2010.

Interview Details – 3 managers in store, had 1 interview w/ each on different days & the went 2 orientation the following week. Each person touched on different areas! First interview was about my experience & availability & length of time I was seeking employment. 2nd was more about my skills & work ethic & what they were looking for in an employee. 3rd was about their business model & acclimating me 2 how they were different from other organizations I may have experienced & confirming my willingness 2 adjust 2 their way of doing business! All of them were personable & friendly before & after hiring me!

Interview Questions

• What is a fault you have that you would like to change about yourself, related to your job performance?   View Answer
  • How would you handle a guest request for substitutions, knowing our company policy of no substitutions?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Made clear what my scheduling requirements were & received exactly what I asked for & still do, because I come 2 work & do a great job! If you slack off & do bad work you will get crappy schedule & section & as usual seniority rules! U want a set schedule, make sure it's available before you accept position & be a hard worker & you'll get what you want!

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Le Pain Quotidien? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Le Pain Quotidien interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Le Pain Quotidien employees and interview candidates.