LearningRx Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at LearningRx (Woodbury, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

Very glad I read the interviews on Glassdoor.com. before interviewing... I was told shifts were typically from 3 pm to 8 pm, 5 hours. My question for the interviewer. Are you working 5 hours?
    Answer usually because of scheduling you will not be working 5 hours. Are you paid for 5 hours?
    No, you are only paid for the hours w/student. Ok, what do you do during the down time that you are required to be there? Answer you can go shopping or out to eat. Who wants to drive to work for 3 or 4 hours but, be required to be available for 5?
    Not ME!...I left after that.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my teaching experience and if, I knew the difference between tutoring and skill development.   Answer Question

Cognitive Skills Trainer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LearningRx.

Interview

The interview is intense, but not overly stressful. Upon passing the initial interview, the interviewer extends an invitation to participate in structured training/certification process. The hiring process as a whole requires prospects to put in a considerable amount of time and effort (classroom training, observation, hands on training, and certification exam) upfront before the position is officially offered. However, it is a necessary for the company in order to find really committed individuals, and employees are compensated when hired.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at LearningRx (North Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

They did group presentations to people interested in employment where they told about the program. Each person also had to tell about themselves. They then broke everyone into groups and did some testing. Finally, they did one on one testing of each individual and did a short interview. It was not what I expected.

Interview Questions

• They did quite a bit of testing. Some of it was challenging.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at LearningRx (Colorado Springs, CO) in January 2014.

Interview

Very poor on disclosure of specific interview process. Turned out to be a "cattle call" type of interview where about 50 or more people sat waiting to be called in for a 1-2 minute "interview" for a position they stated was very important to the business. This is not expected and a very poor way to interview and gives a very negative first impression about the business. They obviously do not care about the feelings of the candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something you would not normally tell anyone else asking you to brag about yourself.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at LearningRx (Chantilly, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

Most hiring of directors begins with a monster post, online listing, or network referral. We meet for coffee/ do a center tour and get a feel for him (my experience is the same). If they are a candidate for a director position, we bring them into a trainer role part time for several months prior to entering a director role and make a decision to promote at that point. Most hires come from within.

Interview Questions

• What is your business and marketing plan to take a new business to the customer in the first year?   Answer Question

Cognitive Skills Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LearningRx (Denver, CO).

Interview

The detailed process is as follows:

1. You show up at a 'hiring night' where you are given a marketing pitch about the company. At the end of this you will be given a speed test where you mark the letters p, d, b, and q in rows. You might be asked to circle the p's, put a square around the d's, triangle the b's, and cross out the q's. What you do to any given letter is up to the person doing the test that night at that center so you should practice different ones until you can do any of them in less than 4 minutes. A sure way to get 4 minutes is to remember what to do to each letter without writing them down. Then, as soon as the person says go write the first four that you were told. These will always be the letters p, d, b, and q. You can do the test in 4 minutes by looking at this key, but you have to be quick in looking. Better is to remember. You cannot skip around the page, but have to do each letter as it comes randomly and do the right thing. You'll be told that this test is because processing speed is required to be a trainer, but it is also testing your memory to remember what to do.

2. You will have a very short interview. The interview will include your clapping on beat on every other beat and every third beat, maybe while answering questions. The interview will ask you why you want to be at LearningRx or other simple questions. You will probably be asked to do some fast math and to read a list of sounds. You especially need to be able to pronounce the short vowels. If you are dressed well, speak well, act normal, and can do these basic things, you should get to the next stage of an actual interview.

3. At your interview, you will have to convince the director that you want permanent, flexible, part-time work. Of course, you should probably actually want this, but you will have to convince her that you are okay not earning money for the first few months while being trained and waiting for your first student. They will stress that you are not guaranteed to become a trainer and that you may not get your first student for a long time. If you want good questions to ask:

a. ask about the pay & benefits because it is the weakest aspect of LearningRx.
    b. ask how long the center has been open and how many directors, director of first impressions (front desk), and directors of training there have been. This gives you an idea of the turnover of the people who run the center.
    c. ask how many trainers have quit in the past year. the turnover of trainers can be great, so you should know if this is true, then figure out why. the biggest reason in my center was the many hours of unpaid work and finding better jobs.
    d. ask about how many students the center has trained in the past 12 months.
    e. ask how many trainers the center has.

[From the last two questions, you can divide and know how many students you will have. If you multiple by about $6K you will have the estimated revenue for the center.]

4. If you make it through the interviews, you will go to training to become a trainer. You will not be an employee yet and you will not get paid to do all this training. The training will take you at least 80 hours if you are diligent, but I have seen people take even more time and not become trainers. You will struggle (or even be in tears) if you struggle with math, reading sounds, memory, answering on beat, knowing whether others are on beat, or slow.

5. You will have to pass a final exam for training, maybe watch a video of yourself training, watch videos about the company, watch trainers training, practice with students (without pay), and pass a background check (of course). The final exam can be hard and the trainers who make it all the way to this point don't necessarily make it through the exam. You will be asked to train a student or the director and to answer a series of questions about the procedures.

6. Now you are certified and waiting for your first student. Keep track of your actual hours and your actual pay and make sure you are still above minimum wage. I would include hours for becoming a trainer in this, but that is up to you. You cannot use this training anywhere else, so it is incredibly specific to this one job.

Interview Questions

• The pdbq test is the hardest test in the interview process.
      The most unexpected question is whether you really just want supplemental income on a part-time basis. You really have to be in decent financial shape to become a trainer at LearningRx.

Answer Question

Negotiation

The company does not negotiate pay or benefits. You just get what you get and then factor in the unpaid hours to figure out the pay per hour consumed in your day.

Brain Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at LearningRx in September 2011.

Interview

Straight forward interview where they gauge your ability to communicate well and be friendly, plus your education and experience with tutoring related services, Also how well I could deal with tutoring related topics: dealing with children and parents, keeping records accurate, customer service, etc..

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with psychology related to learning? Define a cognitive skill?   Answer Question

BrainTrainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at LearningRx (Vienna, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

Candidates are brought in for a group presentation and two skills test - one based on Processing speed, and one based on verbal fluency. Second interview is based solely on scores. If scores are high enough, candidate is brought in for a more thorough IQ test. If these scores are high enough, an offer is given. There is no pay negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Candidates are given a series of five nonsense "words" and asked to read them, utilizing English pronunciation rules.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Director of First Impressions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at LearningRx (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2011.

Interview

I dropped off my resume in person - Each center is pretty small, I figured it would be best if I could meet them face to face. This worked out well because the director was there & had free time, so I had an on the spot interview. After meeting with the director, I met with the other Director of First Impressions (This is a job-share position, there are 2 directors of First impressions per center). Next we scheduled a time & I met with the director and owner. After that I got a call that I got the job! I trained in for about a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at LearningRx (Madison, WI) in April 2010.

Interview

Started with a phone interview. After that we met in-person and answered a few basic interview questions. I then had to test my own cognitive skills with the franchise owner (e.g. attention, focus, memorization, pronouncing sounds) Then after a few more days I was offered the job over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Reading a few lines of words as fast as I could. The words were colors, that would colored in different colors than the written word. For example, the word "red" was written in the color yellow.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negociation