Leatherman Tool

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Design Engineer Interview

Product Design Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Leatherman Tool in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to the position on their website. It was a very long process taking me several hours. Essentially the online application is your first interview because they ask a ton of questions about your experience and various work related situations. After answering questions for several hours, I began to think it was so much content, that there was no way someone would read it all. Because of that, I answered some questions a little too carelessly. It came back to haunt me a little bit.
I tried following up by calling HR and trying to get the name of the hiring manager so I could send him a cover letter, but got the usual response "We received hundreds of applications and we'll contact you if we're interested." Fortunately, they were interested in me and I got a call from the HR woman a few weeks later asking me to do a Skype interview with her and the hiring manager.
I interviewed with them for about an hour over Skype. They were all very standard engineering and work situation questions. No big surprises except that they had the massive document I had typed online and had several questions for me from that document. I spent some time explaining some of my answers and clarifying things. During the interview I got a lot of questions about my ability to work in a group setting. I felt like I must have come off as being a person either doesn't work well with others or a person that is too much of a hot shot to bother working with others. I didn't feel like it was true, but it's a difficult balance showing your strengths while not looking too cocky.
A few weeks later I got a call from the HR woman and they wanted me to come interview with them in Portland. It was an all day ordeal. I spent an hour at the head of a large table fielding questions from about 8-10 managers. I then had another hour at the same table with 5 or 6 engineers grilling me with questions. Most of the questions dealt with some kind of manufacturing or product testing situations. Admittedly, I had little experience in those areas and I said as much. All of the product design engineers were in their 20's and 30's. It sort of surprised me that there weren't any grumpy old engineers.
I went out to lunch with the engineers and we had a chance to hang out without all the formalities. I then got to go on a tour of the plant. That was really cool. They make almost everything right there. I was really impressed.
After the tour, I sat down with the HR woman and the hiring manager for another 45 minutes or so, mostly asking them questions and thanking them for having me out.
I was told I would hear back from them in a few days about their decision. It turned out to be a bit longer because they took longer than expected to decide. I didn't get the job. It's too bad because it seemed like a position that I would have really liked and the environment was great. If I had another chance, I would do it again.

Interview Question – What types of tests would you do to quantify the validation of a particular design?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Product Design Engineer Interview

Product Design Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Leatherman Tool in November 2010.

Interview Details – The entire interview was very lengthy and lack a clear direction. I first applied for the job in May and never heard anything back until after a month. Eventually I was called in for an interview which lasted about an hour+. I thought things went really well and I received positive feedback. However, after several more weeks I never heard anything back. Eventually I talked to the HR representative who was very helpful and explained to me that the position was on hold but I was still being considered as a strong candidate. Another month or so went by during this unclear time and I reached out to HR again and landed a second interview. My second interview consisted of 3 people including HR and lasted about 2 hours. Afterward, I still never heard anything for like 1-2 weeks. I was constantly checking in with HR about once per week in which they kept saying I was being considered. Eventually, I determined that it wasn't going anywhere and I asked for some clarification on the process and my candidacy. I kept getting really ambiguous responses which I couldn't tell if it was positive or negative feedback. Finally, in November I got clarification that they have decided I wasn't the right fit. It's almost 2011 about 7 months from the time I hired and the position is still open and they are still accepting applications.

Interview Question – Describe your work experience.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Leatherman Tool? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Leatherman Tool Product Design Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Leatherman Tool employees and interview candidates.