Lee Enterprises

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.5

Anonymous Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lee Enterprises.

The process was very long. After applying online, it took a month to receive any notification. From there, things sped up a bit, but at least a total month more to get to the offer stage. First a phone interview with HR (~45min), then a phone interview with the Editor (~45 min). Finally a face-to-face. Standard questions asked with nothing too technical or cumbersome.

Interview Questions
    • What interests you about Lee Enterprises and working in the Newspaper Business   Answer Question

DMS Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lee Enterprises.

Long

Circulation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lee Enterprises.

Pretty typical for a company

Time off

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munster, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munster, IN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Lee Enterprises in April 2011.

Very Professional, however the hiring manager was late and I waited over 45 minutes. It was also very lengthy, over 4 weeks until hire offer. Off site drug testing was hard to find, and HR did not give good direction.

2 interviews, 1 phone, 1 face to face

Advertising Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lee Enterprises in April 2010.

Interviews pertaining of a conversational meeting with a mid-level manager or HR manager on he phone or in person occurs to see if one might fit in the organization. Testing may be ordered consisting of an IQ test, personality testing and a psychological profile -- some in person, some online. A second interview with another manager and/or a higher level manager is in order. A third interview where an offer and negotiation takes place pending a drug screen. The hiring process at Lee is arduous and unappealingly long. This lack of efficiency leads to better employee candidates being scooped up by other companies.

Regardless of pace, the process was and remains quite legal and ethical. I received no 'red flag' questions, quite the opposite.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think newspaper is the place for you?   View Answer
    They make a vague offer and you can take it and hope for the best.

Assistant Circulation Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux City, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux City, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lee Enterprises in July 2009.

The interview process was pretty standard. I submitted my resume online and was contacted the same day. A phone interview was cunducted with both the circulation director and the publisher to weeks later. The phone interview was a pretty limple process mainly discussing my job experience in relation to thier requirements. Following the phone interview I was asked to fly up at thier expense for a more formal interview. I was put up in a luxury hotel for the 2 day process. The first day was a very casual meeting with the circulation director. I was driven around the market and given a nice overview of the city followed by a very nice dinner. The second day was more in depth. I interviewed with several department heads including the editor, advertising manager, niche products manager, marketing manager and customer service manager. I was offerd a position the day after I returned home. We negotiated salary and bonuses for about a week following the intial offer and came to a agreement.

Interview Questions
    • How would handle managing a staff much older than yourself?   Answer Question
    • How are you going to handle the climate in relation to what you are used to.   Answer Question

Digital Media Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lee Enterprises.

They found my resume online I posted a year earlier- they brought me in, tried to tell me I would have an established book of business when I started and I could make tons of money- they asked me what I thought and didn't even really ask me about my background or what I would do I. Certain situations. Just an FYI- if you have an interview like that please please please don't take it.

No negotiation