Lee Hayes Interview Questions

Candidate Interview Review

Patent Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lee Hayes.

I interviewed with Lee & Hayes' new D.C. office. Their office is in Reston, VA. It has four to six attorneys and no support staff. I heard about the new office through a friend. He forwarded my resume to a partner. They immediately contacted me for an in-person interview. Based on the firm’s expansion and willingness to interview me right away, I was under the impression that they were hiring to grow their new office.

The interview with one partner was about 45 minutes. He asked questions about my background, technology expertise, and patent prosecution skills. He was pleased with my answers. He concluded the interview with requesting writing samples from me. Under normal circumstances, this is an indication that the hiring process is moving forward.

Immediately after the interview, I sent my writing samples that demonstrated my knowledge in multiple technology areas.

A month went by.

After I reminded the firm of my interview 30 days prior, Lee & Hayes then asked for more writing samples. They wanted more recent writing samples. (Some of my original writing samples were from 4+ years earlier. A number of the writing samples were proprietary and privileged. I redacted a few samples and found appropriate writing samples to send.)

A few weeks went by. However, I did not wait a month to contact Lee & Hayes. I e-mailed the partner in Reston after 2 to 2.5 additional weeks. He deferred to a Human Resources assistant in their Spokane, WA office (HQ). She called me and abruptly told me on the phone almost two months after the interview that the Reston office was not hiring in my technology area.

I work in multiple technology areas and am not limited to a single technology. It is unacceptable to mishandle a potential job candidate. Please hire competent people or at least hire support staff in your local office who are responsible for sending out an effortless rejection letter.

Interview Questions
    • Would you send us more writing samples even though we have several that we haven't read in a month?   Answer Question