Lee Hayes

Updated Jan 6, 2015

1.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lee Hayes

Patent Attorney Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Lee Hayes.

I had a number of connections to this law firm and was familiar with the type of technology they prosecute, so when one of my connections suggested I apply, I sent my resume to this person who sent it on to the business manager of the firm. I then received an email requesting I interview. Because of joint schedule constraints, my interview day was almost three weeks later.

I met with another connection in the days prior to my interview. He asked who I was interviewing with, and as I told him, he either said "they are very smart" or "they are very nice" or both.

They conduct the interview partly in person and partly by Video Tele-Conference with a person in one of their other offices. I interviewed for thirty minutes each with five people in the morning, had lunch with two junior associates and then three afternoon interviews of 30 minutes each. The final interview time period was split between the business manager and the HR person.

Mostly, I was asked to walk through my resume and the interviewer asked me questions about the things in there. The VTC interviews felt pretty awkward; the camera position was set up to view an entire conference room at a height higher than the person on the other end, so it felt impossible to look at them, as well as the other difficulties of making a personal connection with someone on a screen.

By the third walk-through my resume, I wondered if they were testing whether I gave exactly the same answers to each question. Nobody asked how I would take an invention disclosure or respond to an office action. I don't recall any technical questions about patent prosecution.

One afternoon interviewer seemed abrasive from the very beginning. Perhaps this was a test of how I'd deal with such a personality, but my qualifications were belittled and in particular I felt denigrated that I did not myself have any patents from my prior technical career.

The business manager asked how I thought the interviews went, and I told him I thought they went well. But, I also felt they went worse as the day wore on.

I sent thank yous and received responses. Despite regular follow-up, I was never given a hiring decision.

Interview Questions

Patent Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lee Hayes.

I interviewed with Lee & Hayes' new D.C. office. Their office is in Reston, VA. It has four to six attorneys and no support staff. I heard about the new office through a friend. He forwarded my resume to a partner. They immediately contacted me for an in-person interview. Based on the firm’s expansion and willingness to interview me right away, I was under the impression that they were hiring to grow their new office.

The interview with one partner was about 45 minutes. He asked questions about my background, technology expertise, and patent prosecution skills. He was pleased with my answers. He concluded the interview with requesting writing samples from me. Under normal circumstances, this is an indication that the hiring process is moving forward.

Immediately after the interview, I sent my writing samples that demonstrated my knowledge in multiple technology areas.

A month went by.

After I reminded the firm of my interview 30 days prior, Lee & Hayes then asked for more writing samples. They wanted more recent writing samples. (Some of my original writing samples were from 4+ years earlier. A number of the writing samples were proprietary and privileged. I redacted a few samples and found appropriate writing samples to send.)

A few weeks went by. However, I did not wait a month to contact Lee & Hayes. I e-mailed the partner in Reston after 2 to 2.5 additional weeks. He deferred to a Human Resources assistant in their Spokane, WA office (HQ). She called me and abruptly told me on the phone almost two months after the interview that the Reston office was not hiring in my technology area.

I work in multiple technology areas and am not limited to a single technology. It is unacceptable to mishandle a potential job candidate. Please hire competent people or at least hire support staff in your local office who are responsible for sending out an effortless rejection letter.

Interview Questions
    • Would you send us more writing samples even though we have several that we haven't read in a month?   Answer Question