LensCrafters

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

East Brunswick, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LensCrafters in April 2010.

Interview Details – There were 2 interviews, one involving another store manager and the second involving a regional manager. The questions were pretty standard involving work experience, challenges in current role and ways you solved them, and how you feel you can change the way LensCrafters is run. Lots of business/retail math questions and P&L understanding. You can definitely tell the focus is way more on sales and numbers then the optical end of the business. Most people interacted with were sales/retail background versus optical, like opticians optometrist, etc...

Interview Question – What would you do to impact the usage of LensCrafters account not knowing how the program is structured but knowing it needs to account for 10% of sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate base salary, do not rely on commission or monthly bonus.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LensCrafters in November 2010.

Interview Details – I had two interviews, one was in person, the second was over the phone. I was asked basic questions such as "Why LensCrafters? What do you know about us? etc." Ultimately this company only cares about making a profit, so they want to hear about how you can make that happen and what skills and experience you bring to the table to substantiate your claim. They are only looking for key words such as accountability, customer retention, customer conversion, and profit. The Regional Managers honestly do very little, so the more you sound self sufficient, the better you look.

Interview Question – "What would you do if you had a poor performer associate that did not meet his/her sales goals? What would you do if they continued?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for $70k and they agreed right away. Either I asked for too little and they jumped at it, or they were desperate for managers. I have heard stories that they try to low ball you with offers in the 60s or less, but if you say you want something in the 70s or you will walk they eventually cave in.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at LensCrafters in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, received a phone call from the district manager about 4 weeks later. Set up a face to face interview with him. Didn't hear back from him, so I called him about once a week to check my application status. Four weeks later he set up a phone interview with himself and another district manager. Two weeks later I had a phone interview with the regional vice president. Two weeks later I received the offer.
Very lenghty process. Definitly follow up.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no room for negotiating.

Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LensCrafters in May 2011.

Interview Details – I initially interviewed with a store general manager then I did a phone panel interview with the regional and other general managers. I then did a store panel interview with other regionals. The questions consisted mostly of coaching techniques and situational type questions.

Interview Question – Explain a time you had to coach and underperforming employee and what was the result   Answer Question

General Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LensCrafters in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with RDO and RVP. Required to take a written test and drug test. Test was pretty standard and interviews were very basic

Interview Question – Give me an example of what you did to drive your business.   Answer Question

General Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at LensCrafters in August 2010.

Interview Details – I obtained my initial interview through a recruiting agency. The first interview consisted of about 1/2 hour with two managers in the room. The interview was a bit rushed, they seem to have a lot of people scheduled for the same day and I did not have a chance to ask many questions. The interviewers were courteous and the questions were job specific and focused on: 1) customer service philosophy, 2) situational (describe a situation when you had an angry customer and how you dealt with it, 3) supervisory skills and management style (how do you go about assessing employees skills and what would you do if you had to move them to a different position).

I was disappointed that they had no job description for me to have a better idea and expectations on what job duties the job entailed, my recruiter did not have one either. I was then set up to complete an online assessment consisting of a math skills section (word problems, math/ sales oriented calculations such as percentages, profit margins etc..) and a general / personality test section geared towards assessing your customer service skills and general work ethic. The math part was challenging to me because each question was timed individually as opposed to the entire section being timed so if I finished one question in a few seconds, I could not apply my extra time to a more laborious question that required extra calculation - I found that a bit unfair. Passing the test was a requirement for management positions. I did pass. About two weeks later, I was set up for a second interview with 2 other managers. This second one was more relaxed and longer so I had the chance to find out more about the job itself. I then learned that the position required completing a certification to become an optician which on average takes about 3 years (working full time, and going for the education on a part-time basis). About another week later, I was invited for a third interview.

Interview Question – Did you have an occasion where you had to go against your superior (boss), describe how you handled it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The company seemed very good to work for and it seemed like a good career opportunity but I wasn't committed to becoming an optician in the long run and that is something that seemed pretty crucial to anyone's success in this career path, so I declined.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at LensCrafters in December 2009.

Interview Details – After being recruited due to my background and experience I went thru the hour long phone interview and hour and half face interview.Was told they were only looking to hire General Managers that have District Manager potential which I did in my past career. After 2 weeks of not hearing from them I called the District Manager(whom recruited me in the 1st place) and left a msg stating I was still intrested. 5 minutes later I get a call from the phone interviewer stating she was calling for the DM to say they were going to promote within?

I felt it was a huge waste of my valuable time since this company put huge postings all over the internet for my specific city to find out nobody that interviewed would be considered and go internal.

Interview Question – The face to face interview did not have a stuctured format of questions.Interviewer said it was more of a get to know each other meeting of my past experience.   Answer Question

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LensCrafters in May 2009.

Interview Details – The actual interviewing process is very thorough but if you have a very strong knowledge base and experience with retail management you will do great. They ask good, "tell me a time when" questions. Be prepared to discuss your past successes and how you achieved them. I was asked specific questions to determine how my management style will fit into their way of business. There will be three interview total, one of them a panel interview. There will also be compentancy/personality test that takes 1-2 hours. This personality part is a breeze, however if you aren't just out of school, the comp part of the test will prove challenging.

Interview Question – I was asked to back up all claims made on my resume. This is not a dealbreaker as long as you can articulate how you went about achieving them and you were honest as I was on my resume. If you lie, you will most probably be caught with your pants down.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at LensCrafters

Worked for LensCrafters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LensCrafters General Manager interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by LensCrafters employees and interview candidates.