Interview Question

Interview Menlo Park, CA

Let's pretend you are sending out emails to encourage SMB's

to advertise with Facebook. Each email to each SMB costs $1. After you send the emails, .5% of the SMBs sign up. How much did you pay for each person that signed up? I had to keep asking clarification questions. "How many people did I send to?" Then he said, "Let's pretend there were 1,000." Then I got the answer from there... I believe it's just a way to assess how you think and not exactly to get the correct answer.
Answer

Interview Answer

6 Answers

$200

hmmm on May 19, 2013

Isn't it $20?

really on Jul 31, 2013

The answer is $200. .5% means that 1 in every 200 people sign up 1/200=.5% If the answer was $20, this would mean the 5% of people sign up (1/20=5%). Hopefully this helps!

Nick on Sep 2, 2013

Isn't the obvious answer $5? You sent the email to 1000 people, 0,5% sign up. 0,5%*1000 = $5 as one sendout costs $1.

Lisa on Oct 18, 2014

I believe it's a trick question, based on phrasing. "Each email to each SMB costs $1. ... How much did you pay for each person that signed up?" Unless I'm misreading this, you paid a buck per regardless of the eventual sign-up status.

Anonymous on Jun 12, 2015

There's no need to know how many emails were sent. 200 emails for every 1 signup, and $1 for every email, means $200 for every 1 signup.

Anonymous on Jul 23, 2015

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.