Level 3 Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Architect Interview

Software Architect
Southfield, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Level 3 Communications in May 2012.

Interview Details – They ask you a few question on the techologies they are intrested in and find out how comfortable we are or at least show the attitude to learn on job. Good interviews

Interview Question – Just general technical questions on the area of your strength and the technologies you have work   View Answer

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Level 3 Communications.

Interview Details – I sent my cover letter and resume to a recruiter who contacted the school for students. I had a phone interview with the lead developer and the project manager of a specific team and was called back within the same day for an in-person interview. I was contacted by the recruiter to attend the company job fair (multiple teams interviewing). At the job fair I met with two other teams and the team I had the phone interview with. I was offered the position the next afternoon. The interview was not very technical, some data structure and algorithm questions and distinguishing between C++ and Java. Very personality-based interview. I was very smilely and friendly, spoke a lot about what I wanted to do in the future and how this position would be a great step.

Interview Question – This was my second phone interview ever, I was nervous and did not know how to answer a simple algorithm question. The in-person interview with each team was very relaxed and conversational, more of the team telling you what they do and asking if you see a fit. Most difficult question... Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not very much room for negotiation, but the opportunity I was offered was more than I could ask for, and no other company presented a similar opportunity.

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied in-person - interviewed at Level 3 Communications in March 2013.

Interview Details – 2 Interviews and an offer.

Negotiation Details – None...

Very Easy Interview

Senior Director Cybersecurity Interview

Senior Director Cybersecurity
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Level 3 Communications in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, job was posted publicly. Despite having an employee contact on the inside, I could get no information about the position, nor any feel for how they were looking to fill it, what its duties were, etc. After pressing for 3 weeks, I finally did get my contact to press HR to contact me. Someone called, interviewed me for a half hour. She said she would send me an email, contact the hiring manager (the CSO) but she never did. The interviewer had no more information than the one sentence description of the job on the website. It was disappointing, really, because it seemed Level3 had no urgency to fill the position, or to even interact with me after applying. If I hadn't known someone there I'm sure I would have never received any communication from them at all. After about 5 weeks of nothing, I was told they were looking to fill the position internally. So why post it in the first place? Lack of integrity? Are there rules that require positions to be posted publicly to give the impression of transparency and openness? Why when it's all just a dodge?

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions at all, it was simply a rehash of my resume with someone who didn't know anything about the job (or that they didn't really want to hire someone from the open position anyway)   Answer Question

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Senior Sales Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Level 3 Communications.

Interview Details – Interview process consists of multiple steps
Step 1 - Initial screening interview with staffing manager - they are looking for coherent speech, active listening, salary requirements in range, some details on targeted hire date, previous employers.
Step 2 - Hiring manager phone interview, discuss in detail your experience, education, certifications, position description
Step 3 - Technical screening interview - deep dive to understand your level of expertise prefer face to face
Step 4 - Senior management and sales team interview - will you be a good fit with existing team, do you look act and dress professionally.

Interview Question – Bring in an existing anonymous customer network diagram and explain it in detail...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Received a better offer $ and greater stability from another company

Product Analyst Interview

Product Analyst
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Level 3 Communications.

Interview Details – Forgot I had applied here, but heard back about a month after applying. Once I heard back, it went pretty fast. 30 minute phone screen with recruiter, followed by 2 hour interview session in Broomfield. Spoke with the VP of the department as well as the 3 managers that worked for him in 30 minute blocks. Mostly just talked about my experience and interest in Level 3, some people were more interested in technical details than others. Interviewed on Friday, heard back on Monday or Tuesday.

Interview Question – Can you explain what MPLS is?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate on salary, but didn't get any movement.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Broomfield, CO

I applied online - interviewed at Level 3 Communications in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was required to have 2 phone interviews followed by multiple back to back interviews (face to face) after which I didn't hear anything for more than a month. The questions were not difficult but they did tend to focus on specific methodologies (PMP, Six Sigma, etc.) Level 3 places a high emphasis on these certifications and generally on subject matter expertise.

Interview Question – There was a lot of emphasis placed on specific methodologies and my understanding of them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate and was told that the offer was already signed off on by leadership and that I couldn't get any additional money because compared to others on the team that were making more/less the salary they were offering was justified. I was also informed that I would not qualify for any relocation or bonus despite this being dangled by leadership during the interview process previously.

Sales New College Grad Program Interview

Sales New College Grad Program
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Level 3 Communications.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview-explained the position and gave a brief intro to the company

Personality/IQ test- Behavior questions, math (pretty simple), then word analogies (SAT format).

45 min Phone Interview- Once again went over job description. Know a little bit about the company. Research the products and services the company offers. Be prepared to talk about your professional and educational background.

Face to Face Interview- Your in a board room with 3-4 employees of Level 3. One of them was a recent hire (Sales Manager) whom didn't seem to be that educated. You'd be suprised if you actually research your interviewer's which one's embelish their roles. Continue to know a little about Level 3. Questions are stictly behavioral. How would you handle a specific situation. How would you engage a Client etc.

Your recruiter is very informative as to what to be prepared for before each following interview.

Good Advice: Be yourself, remain calm, and know your interviewing for a position within the firm. It's important to not repeat questions throughout the process. Remember to take notes. Phone interviews are a great way to have cheat sheets.

What not to do: refrain from asking questions you can find out after you've been selected to work for Level 3. You may encounter an arrogant interviewer, don't make them feel stupid. You won't get selected.

Interview Questions

Intern Interview

Intern
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Level 3 Communications in April 2013.

Interview Details – It is actually a career fair. Each group will interview one student at a time. About 2 groups for each student. Talk last about 20 min. Mostly about what they are doing then how can you fit into that and talk a little about technical questions.

Interview Question – Not so hard, just relax.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Level 3 Communications in July 2012.

Interview Details – My first interview with the General Manager was less than a half hour. The interviewing manager explained that she needed to multitask a bit because it was the end of the month. We were interrupted often and in hindsight I should have taken this as a sign. My second set of interviews were with someone who would be my peer and a Sr. Sales Engineer. The interview with my future peer was very informative and candid. My interview with the SE was to say the least, bizarre. He seem quite irritated that he was asked to interview me. His social skills were off-putting and made me feel very uncomfortable. He did not have an advance copy of my resume so I provided him with a copy. I asked him is he would like me to give him an overview and he choose to read it as I sat there awkwardly. He then decided we should role play. I was asked to create a scenario where he was a customer and I was a Level 3 sales person. I was completely taken off guard and did my best to fumble through this process.

Interview Question – I don't recall any particularly difficult or unexpected questions, just the impromptu role playing was difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Simple, they asked what salary I expected and they had not issue.