LexisNexis Legal & Professional

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in March 2007.

The career website is clunky, hard to navigate and difficult to search. I had second thoughts about even applying after seeing both the company site (http://www.lexisnexis.com) and then my experience with the career site trying to find the jobl If I hadn't been given a recommendation by a friend who worked for LexisNexis, I probably wouldn't have applied. However, once my application was received and my interviews scheduled, I was delighted. I was flown to both Dayton and New York. The HR representative was warm, and the questions asked gave me the opportunity to highlight my personality traits and work practices that would prove beneficial to the company along with my skill set and experience. My initial interview was a phone interview with the HR representative. My second interview was at the headquarters in New York, NY where I met with executive management. I was impressed with the warmth and enthusiasm of the senior directors and global VPs I met with and, again, I was given an opportunity to point out personal traits that enhanced my skills. My third interview was in Dayton with the technical people who I would work closely with on the project I was hired for. The fact I met with executives on my first in-face interview was both intimidating and told me an important thing about the company: The senior management was engaged and had personal interest in those hired for LexisNexis. The travel arrangements were tailored to my needs and adjusted when I had a conflict. The culture of LexisNexis was described in all my interviews, both phone and in-person - it is a family-friendly company and, as best as it can, encourages a health work/life balance. I was told, and have found to be true, that LexisNexis is devoted to service to the communities in which we work and live as well as in areas of the world that are struggling with legal issues.
If you are given the opportunity to interview with LexisNexis, be prepared for talking with a variety of people at different levels in the company, including senior VPs, HR representatives and managers, potential colleagues and even those who are not directly involved in the position's area. Be neat, clean and have a copy of your resume with you, as well as any applicable samples of work. Be prepared to be scrutinized on your personality, work practices and views on current legal issues. As painful as it is, read through the company's website and get an idea of the products and services offered; then Google LexisNexis to find recent news on it so you can intelligently discuss others' view of LexisNexis as well as news affecting the company. LexisNexis is also a proponent for home-based employees; if this is your preference, be sure to have supporting evidence as to why you would be a good fit as a home-based worker.

Interview Questions
  • What do you consider your greatest weakness.   View Answer
  • Discuss what advantages and disadvantages there are to Web 2.0   View Answer
  • While I can't remember the exact questions, I was asked very specific questions about a few software packages, and web applications, that I had little experience with.   View Answer
I was able to negotiate not moving to Dayton or New York - a deal-breaker since my situation does not allow relocation. I was offered the opportunity to work at home; however, I prefer being in an office and the company went through some rather large obstacles to find me a seat in a local office.
For salary, I was able to negotiate a 10% raise from my current position's salary - if I had really researched the average salary for the position and been better at negotation, I probably could have gotten a higher salary. However, I made one mistake. I didn't compare the benefit costs between the two companies and, basically, ended up with a little more than 1%. In any job, There are soft benefits, however, such as two days a year for volunteer work, a very flexible schedule and the opportunity to work at home.