LexisNexis Legal & Professional

1 Interview Review

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Marketing Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional in April 2010.

I had an interview with the hiring manager and the director for that business unit, which went well. I was then contacted by the HR person, who called several times and left no message. After calling to confirm and leaving a message with the HR partner, I received a return call at a time I couldn't take the call (rush hour and in the car with someone else on the way to a networking event). Unfortunately, this was the time the HR partner chose to leave a message, which I didn't notice and wasn't expecting since no previous messages were left.

Much to my surprise, the phone interview was changed to an in-person interview, which I missed. I called, apologized profusely and re-scheduled. The interview with the HR partner was fine, covering the basics of the position as she perceived them. I must say that the tasks I discussed with the hiring manager and the HR person were vastly different. The HR partner also expressed her views about how the position should be handled and what they would do if it were their job, in addition to letting me know that position responsibilities changed regularly due to reorganizations. I knew from my research that Lexis reorganizes on a regular basis, and in this economy I would have been surprised to find a company that doesn't. The HR partner emphasized this several times, however.

I met with another employee in the group, and we had a lively discussion about the aspects of the job, and what the perception of the company and the level of work and responsibility was. I really enjoyed meeting her.

After sending the requisite thank you notes, I heard back from the hiring manager. Apparently, HR was rather miffed about the interview confusion and was recommending not to hire. My opinion is that if the HR partner had left messages when they called previously, I would have expected a message changing the location and format of the interview at such a late in the day time. I do recognize that I should have checked my messages, but it simply wasn't possible until the next morning.

My feeling overall is that if the hiring manager would like to make the hire, and barring any lies or failing a criminal background check, the HR partner is supposed to help the hiring manager, not make it more difficult to hire the person the hiring manager would like to hire.

Interview Questions
  • You have a lot of work experience, but nothing really applicable to this job. You do have an advanced degree, though, so I'm sure the lack of experience won't matter.   View Answer
  • What types of skills do you hope to learn here to help your career.   Answer Question