Lexmark Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.6

Technical Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lexmark in October 2014.

There were three stages:
    stage 1: video interview, tell-us-about-yourself-type-questions. The video interview software is terrible. I had to use all tries on a few questions before things recorded correctly
    stage 2: phone interview, more of the same with a few general technical questions thrown in. Very open-ended. A good chance to show passion
    stage 3: on-site interview, TBA

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between embedded systems engineering and software engineering?   View Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Lexmark in June 2014.

I was brought on by a temp agency, Global International. I interviewed first with the temp agency and then again with Lexmark. The biggest point of me getting hired I think is because of my experience with Excel and not being nervous. It seems personality is big, and also not being arrogant or too uptight. A good sign that I got was when I was interviewing is that it was a long interview...about an hour and a half. I haven't started yet but from the tour and talking with the people in the office it is a good culture, and I really look forward to starting.

Interview Questions
    • How dedicated to work and your career are you?   View Answer
    I took what was offered.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Lexmark in March 2014.

I applied through staffing agency

Interview was for 1 hr
    Asked about my projects and work experience

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lexmark in January 2014.

Starts with a phone interview with HR. HR sends your information to the company's departments, and each department gauges interest. If they find that you fit an opening, you are then interviewed by someone from the department. The process takes a while, about 3 weeks, between the two interviews. The interviews are not generally hard, they ask a lot of generic interview questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Lexmark in January 2014.

Consisted of 2 interviews: the first was a group interview with the team to gauge whether you fit into the environment. They make sure that if they hire you, they'll make sure you're likable first, which is not a bad strategy. This interview had about 5 people on the phone. The second interview was also over the phone, and it was with a manager. They wanted to get to know your personality, really.

Interview Questions
    They asked about salary, and I answered that it was negotiable.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Lexmark.

Interviewed for the rotational program, and it was a great experience! After a phone interview they flew me in for an on-site interview. There were many other candidates for many different positions. There was a dinner the night before the interview, then two interviews the next day (with current 2 engineers each). Then there was a facilities tour and the candidates toured Lexington. Lexmark made great efforts to insure we understood the company and the city.

Interview Questions
    • I only had one technical question and it wasn't difficult (I actually made a small mistake and they were okay with that as long as my thought process was good)   Answer Question

The printer industry is declining, and I was very disappointed to hear Lexmark isn't pursuing 3D printing (although it's understandable since they sold their inkjet division).

Technical Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lexmark in October 2013.

I applied on my college's career website and gave my resume to the recruiter at our career fair. The recruiter was unfriendly and didn't really seem to care about the program and barely answered my questions. She then told me that the program was very competitive and implied that I was not a competitive candidate.

Surprisingly I got an email from the recruiter a few days later to answer a questionnaire. After that she set up a phone interview about a week later. She was far more pleasant and informative during the interview. She asked basic behavior questions and it took about 20 mins. The TRP is not as well-planned or organized as most of the rotational/development programs I applied to.

A week later I had a phone interview with an engineering manager who would make hiring decisions later in the process if I was invited to an on-site interview. The interviewer asked behavior questions and asked me to describe in detail my previous employment and research experiences. She was friendly and knowledgeable about the program and seemed interested the whole time. THEN, she asked technical questions which were chemistry/material science based and this went horribly. I answered 2 of 5 correctly and this clearly changed her attitude towards me during the interview. The technical questions are pointless. They ask you to remember information you haven't used since freshmen year and could relearn in five minutes, but have not retained until now because you don't use the information. This doesn't test reasoning skills. It tests whether you are lucky and they ask questions you remember from years ago.

I never heard back from Lexmark. They didn't even have the courtesy to send a rejection after I had interviewed twice. This left an even more negative impression of the company for me.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions: Describe a titration step by step and what is its purpose? Describe a condensation reaction?   Answer Question

TRP (Firmware Engineer) Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lexmark in August 2013.

I was already an intern so did not have a hard time getting an interview. I'm sure they already took that into account when assessing technical skills as well.

Round 1: Behavior - (20 min) - Straightforward questions about tell about a time when...( Expect to answer in STAR structure)

Round 2: Behavior/Technical - (30/40 min) - Similar to first interview but more about your resume. Asked some technical questions, nothing to difficult, more definition type of questions than anything.

Round 3: Technical/Behavior - (3-4 45 min) - Two interviewers (managers) usually. Go back and forth asking more situational questions and some technical questions.

Overall the process was pretty straightforward and not to difficult. I know several interns who started the process and did not make it all the way through and had some negative feedback from their experience, but I did not encounter any of that.

Mostly because of the location. Company wise Lexmark seems like a good place to start but in the case it was not, didn't want to end up miserable and stuck in Lexington.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Lexmark.

1. What do you know about Lexmark?
    2. Tell us about yourself.
    3. Tell us about a time you worked with a difficult person.
    4. How could you apply your major to the user experience research we do?
    5. What’s the focus of your major?
    6. What statistical testing experience do you have?
    7. What is your major?
    8. Are you good at presenting videos and setting up experiments?
    9. Have you ever conducted research working with a person one-on-one?

Interview Questions
    • 4. How could you apply your major to the user experience research we do?   Answer Question

Inkjet Division Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Lexmark.

Made me feel very comfortable. Asked your typical questions.

Interview Questions

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.