Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.1

107 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

The interview process is fairly succinct but well organized. A behavioral interview, a "case" interview (but not like a consulting firm case interview) and an executive interview. The executive interview is more of a rubber stamp in the job offer process; however, the Corporate Development Program is actually very high-touch with senior leaders in the company (the executive interview is not just a show to try to get you in the door) so represent yourself well.

Interview Questions
    • The case interview was a 90-min prep session alone with a packet of about 20 pages of information to process and brief recommendations on to two interviewers. Basic MBA knowledge is needed for the level of information, nothing more. Consulting firm-style case interview skills won't be useful. The case is nothing crazy, but designed as a pressure situation to see who can analyze date, organize a coherent line of thought, and communicate that effectively in the time given. It is a fair barometer and if you find the situation difficult, then you probably don't belong in the program. If you enjoy it, then sign up. It's similar to what you'll be doing for two years.   Answer Question
    Great offer/benefits out of the gate. Some parts (e.g., benefits/time off) are part of corporate policy, so there's not much flexibility.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2014.

Only had a phone interview. They asked about my sales experience and I had just gotten out of college so that experience was limited. Times I've talked to customers etc/ helped them with problems. I thought they would be more aware of my minimal experience in sales from my resume and the fact that I'd completed school in three years so I had minimal time to get experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a sales experience you've had and when you had to persuade a customer?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

The recruiters at this company are really bad, and will toss your resume into the trash unless you are from a top tier school. They also will turn over every few months, so you will most likely never talk to the same person if you interview for multiple positions. As far as interviews, you are better off having a friend that works there and walks your resume to a hiring manager to get you in for a face to face interview. Also, the process for some positions can take many months, so don't hold your breath. If you can make it to the final round, they may not even contact you to tell you they went with someone else. It is up to you to follow up with the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Very standard interview questions - they use a booklet and if you are in there meeting with multiple people, they will coordinate who asks which question. Nothing out of the ordinary except one manager asked what I would do in a difficult situation, and tried to explain an answer with problem solving and resolution techniques, and they kept harping on it saying "well, what if they just won't listen or aren't open to hear?" Just be prepared what to say then...   Answer Question
    They were open to negotiation even with a strong offer. I was surprised I got more, I would have accepted the initial offer. They can definitely flex with the right person as long as the salary is within the "grade level". You won't lose the offer if you push for more (whether or not you get it).

Financial Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

On campus interview followed by a group interview at the HQ. The entire process was very smooth and every person I interacted with was down to earth and informative. The one on one interviews were all between one half hour and forty-five minutes long. Mostly included questions about real life behavioral situations and your actions taken in them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult workplace problem you encountered, how you approached it, and the results?   Answer Question
    No negotiation but the offer was for the high end of the range.

Advanced Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in April 2014.

First there was a 30 mins phone interview before onsite interview.
    Onsite includes 5 interviews, 3 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon,1 lunch interview.
    Most of them senior analyst or manager, asking more questions to show your interest is important.
    Only hire PhD students.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain PCA (principal component analysis) to someone who do not understand statistics?   View Answer
    No negotiation for salary.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

The hiring process went well, I applied for a position and interviewed, but I was unable to start in the time frame they needed. They moved on to the next candidate, but the recruiter called me not long after with two more positions that they felt were a good for for my qualifications. I interviewed for both positions on the same day, met with the people I would be working for as well as their supervisors, talked specifics about my prior experience and was able to ask some detailed questions about each job. Afterwards I gave the recruiter some feedback on the two positions and I was made an offer on my position of choice two weeks later at the top of the salary range.

Interview Questions
    • I was mostly just asked for specifics regarding the numerical achievements in my resume, which , if what you've put in your resume is the truth it shouldn't be very hard to provide specifics.   Answer Question
    I spoke to the recruiter about the salary range prior to the job interviews and when the offer came through after the interviews it was at the top of the range and so I accepted.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

phone screening and on-site in Boston office. The company was very quick to book hotel and flight for me on the phone. On the interview day, we had 5-6 candidates interviewing together. i met about 8 people. They are quite friendly and professional. No too difficult questions. good to hear the company offers career mobility within the company.

Graduate Level Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

This position is for the liberty mutual predictive modelling group. And their work mostly focus on statistical modelling, such as GLM, familiar with poisson regression and its counterpart is important for the technical interview questions. Their behavioral questions are nothing special, and a case study is also involved int the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How to deal with the situation with increased cancellation rate.   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

I visited Liberty Mutual at the career fair my university held. There I talked to the recruiters and gave them my resume. I then applied for the internship program online where I had to undergo a brief assessment of skills. I didn't hear for a few months, so I resubmitted my application. After I re-submitted, I was contacted a couple days later for a phone interview.

The phone interview was about 30 minutes long with an HR recruiter, and all of the questions were behavioral based. In addition, we talked briefly about what departments within HR I would be most interested in being placed (Employee Relations, Recruiting, Analytics, etc) if I moved on. Within a week I was told I was moving on to the next round of interviews.

The next round of interviews took place in their corporate headquarters in Boston, MA. I had 4 interviews, each about 30 minutes long. Each interview was with a different hiring manager to assess fit with each of those departments. Everyone was very professional and welcoming, and I was done with interviews before lunch (it was lovely they didn't drag out the day!) I heard back the next week with an offer to be a part of their internship program.

I had to wait awhile for the process to start and almost lost hope that they were interested in me, but once I was contacted the interview process was speedy and professional. They did a very good job of moving everything along and having open communication with me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time you disagreed with someone, and afterwards you discovered you were in the wrong. How did you react?   Answer Question
    Since this was an intern , non-exempt, position, there was no negotiation for the hourly wage. However, there was no need to negotiate as I felt the wage and PTO were more than enough for an intern.

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

First you apply. Then they contact you to set up the phone screen and complete the questionnaires. One is timed, the other is not. Then there is a 30 minute phone screen. Then, if asked to move on, you do the final round interviews, onsite. They give you a prep sheet beforehand with practice questions. Most of the questions I was asked that day, were very similar to the ones on the sheet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were asked to make a decision with little time to decide, but you were given all of the information needed to make that decision.   View Answer