Liberty Mutual Insurance

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – First, the recruiter emailed me. I was excited to be contacted, so I quickly replied. I completed the application and IQ assessment within a day. After completing it, I emailed her, and we scheduled a phone interview within the next couple of days. After the phone interview, which consisted of a detailed explanation of my experience and some behavioral questions, she offered me an in person interview. At the interview, I was interviewed one-on-one by two very nice ladies. The interview was truly two way: I asked questions about whether the job was fit for me and they asked questions about whether I was fit for the job. Then, they asked many behavioral questions. Afterwards, the recruiter contacted me the next business day (it was Friday) to inform me that I had been selected for the position. She asked for me to fax some forms in for the background check. After I did, the background check took about a week and a half. They asked for some W-2's, I sent them. Then I was contacted by the team that I would be working with. Overall, it was a smooth and structured process!

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were already overwhelmed with a responsibility and more work was given to you? How did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was far too nervous to attempt to negotiate salary, considering their paying almost twice what other internships pay around here.

Irving, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the internship through my college career page and I received an email for a phone interview a few days later. The phone interview went well, it was mainly talking about my resume and a few scenario-based questions. A week later I received a call that I was invited to the office for the in-person interview. I first met with two managers in Workers Comp, and it was all scenario-based questions. Then I met with the manager for Auto-Claims and it was the same type of questions. About two weeks after the interview, I received an offer.

Interview Question – They asked me if I knew anything about the insurance industry, so make sure to do research beforehand.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – Contacted for initial phone interview with recruiter. Follow-up with second interview with local office.

Interview Question – Why did you choose your major?   Answer Question

Irving, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – Had one phone interview from head recruiter going over resume. Brought me in for a face to face interview at head office and spoke with senior managers/shadowed a claims adjuster. Lasted about an hour.

Interview Question – Questions dealt with a lot of team aspects so make sure you have experience working with others. For example, "tell me about a time when you've been in a team where one member wasn't holding their weight"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a intern, no negotiating. Flat rate.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in January 2011.

Interview Details – Fair and Easy. The questions were the generic interview questions.

Interview Questions

Claims Intern

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2011.

Interview Details – Went to a career fair and applied for the position very late in the semester (sometime in March/April). Received a call in late May asking if I was still interested. First step consisted of a Phone Screen conducted by HR in Boston headquarters. Pretty casual, 20 minute phone interview with some background questions and some behavioral questions. Was notified a few days later that I would need to go into the local offices for a face to face interview. The interview took place a few weeks later. Two interviews with two different team managers from different departments. Both had the same approach: broke down everything on my resume and then went through a stack of behavioral questions (around 20 each). Liberty Mutual is pretty relaxed and the managers were very nice. Had some nice conversations with the manager of the department that I was accepted into. HR contacted me a few days later to inform me of the offer. Background check itself took 2 weeks to process... very thorough check.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where things didn't go as you had planned. What did you do to handle it. And what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a problem.   Answer Question
  • What is an accomplishment that you achieved recently that you are proud of?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set pay rate.

Claims Intern

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in March 2011.

Interview Details – Had two interviews and an online application. Initially sat down with the Claims manager for a 1 on 1 interview. Asked basic behavioral questions for about half an hour- what would you do if..how did you respond to this situation..give an example where..etc. Went over my resume and contact information and GPA. Was invited to apply on career site the week after, then scheduled for a second interview. The second interview consisted of a panel with three managers. They were pretty laid back and open, and seemed to want to get to know me and whether I fit in with the company culture. I also got to sit down with an employee and watch how they did their daily work. Everyone seemed like they enjoyed their job and the dress code is professional casual. Asked behavioral questions again, including ones that were similar to the first interview, but more situation based. For example, how did you deal with an angry customer/coworker and how did you resolve the situation. They offered me the internship several days later and I accepted.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you dealt with a question about a volatile subject (ex: religion) and how you responded to it.   Answer Question

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!