Liberty Mutual Insurance

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – Expect three separate interviews. First with the recruiter, then the hiring manager, then the regional vice president. There is also a proctored exam that you will have to take. The interview will feel like common interviews where you'll talk about prior situations. As you move along the process, the questions will definitely get more challenging. It will feel like the managers will be getting a feel for your management style, analytical thinking and capabilities.

Interview Question – There was no real unexpected question. The only thing that was unexpected was the proctored exam that you have to take. It is one of those tests that ask you to choose what you would do in different situations. It was unexpected since this was a manager role.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for 2 similar positions - 1 that was just the Disability Claims Manager I and the other, which was the Disability Claims Training Program. I got an e-mail after my applications had been reviewed to set up a phone interview for the Disability Claims Manager I position. We set it up for a few days later. The interview lasted about an hour and consisted of pretty basic interview questions. After that, I received a phone call to set up an in person interview for the training program. This came as somewhat of a relief to me, as i did not feel ready to begin a position right off the bat. Things went well.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to make a snap decision and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Claims Manager

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2011.

Interview Details – First applied online through the website, where I completed the standard IQ/personality test.

Waited a week to get contacted by an HR rep from the Boston area where there was another round of questions regarding past challenges, etc. Pretty standard if you've been through a few hiring processes.

Within four of five days I was contacted by the office location I applied to in order to schedule an in-person interview. There I met with the immediate supervisor for the department, the department head, and another manager. In-person consisted of another round of basic background questions similar to the initial phone screen. After that, a brief skills test was administered, which included a writing sample.

Overall, the in-person interview lasted almost three hours, with the immediate supervisor and manager sitting in, then after, a one-on-one interview with the head of the department. Received a call that afternoon with an offer for the position.

Overall, a very good experience. Great communication from every department, good follow-up, sometimes only a few hours after an inquiry had been placed, and interview process was moderately challenging, but also engaging and fun. Be honest about your skills, your areas of weakness, and just be yourself. Honesty goes a long way. Also, there is an extensive background check process. Do not leave any stone unturned. Make sure your application information is accurate and up-to-date. They will do a detailed check on you, going back at least seven years.

Perception of the office environment was neutral, leaning towards positive. Quiet, cubicle setting straight out of office space. People were friendly and conversational, but I think they're all business, which is fine with me. Liberty Mutual is a great, stable company. Benefits offered are fantastic. Can't ask for much more in this economy.

Interview Question – What was your favorite subject in college?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but salary and benefits were much more than I had anticipated and extremely generous.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!