Liberty Mutual Insurance

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richardson, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – I initially received and email asking to reply back to schedule a phone interview. the email was from an unmanned email address. Luckily i was able to guess the senders email address using the name signed at the bottom and Google. I got an email from another person the next day confirming the date. On the day i got a call and proceeded with a phone interview. Pretty standard. STAR questions and prior work review. then a onsite interview was scheduled. I arrived 30 minutes early. Basically similar behavioral questions as on the phone, prior work review. Then i was interviewed by a second manager. Same material basically. I was told they still had people to interview and i should know in a couple of days. Interview lasted about 2 hours and I thought it went well. Soon after I received a rejection via email.

Interview Question – Majority of questions were behavioral.   Answer Question

Wilmington, DE

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – General personality questions. they love to hear about lean/waste reductions in terms of maximizing workflow.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not a lot of wiggle room during my interview as it was my first job out of college. i was able to negotiate a nice relocation package.

Claim Specialist Interview

Claim Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – There were three rounds of interviews. There was one phone interview with HR. And then two in-person interviews with mgmt at the office. There was a lot of competition so you need to come prepaired. But overall it was pretty standard. It definitely felt a little stiff. Bu it was surprisingly quick to get through the whole process and get hired.

Interview Question – How are you different from the other people we could hire?

IDK there are no curve balls really. just standard "describe a time"-type questions.
  Answer Question

Warrenville, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in April 2011.

Interview Details – Lengthy-- must apply online assessment and full application with cover letter, had on campus interview then full day interview with more assessments and two separate interviews with upper lvl management. Expect to talk about your successses and failures

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when you did poorly, and received constructive feedback on something you needed to improve on--how did you handle it?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A set salary

Lake Mary, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2010.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, 2 in person interviews

Interview Question – know what kind of disc herniation will result in certain symptoms. If you answer that question wrong, you wont get the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – salary is preset on a scale

Philadelphia, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2010.

Interview Details – The phone interview and follow up took longer than expected, i had to follow up with HR before hiring manager called me. I think HR dropped the ball on me. But once i got in touch with hiring manager, the process was quick. Interview took 3 hours with 2 manager and a personality and written case test. Offer made within week

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – did not negotiate, it was fair.

Claims Specialist

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in January 2012.

Interview Details – My interview processes consisted of a phone interview followed by a in-person interview a week later.

Interview Question – Why are you thinking of leaving your current employer?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in April 2010.

Interview Details – To start, there was an initial 1:1 on campus interview. This was a laid back and coved basic work/school history. It provided information about the position and discussed presented the benefits of working for the company.

About a week or so later, I was invited to an all day interview. This was an event for all potential candidates that passed the first round of interviews. To start, we were given a presentation on the company. Covering everything one would need to know about a company they are applying for. After this, the day was broken down into two- 1:1 interviews with managers from the company. It was a "Behavioral" type interview with questions like, "Tell me about a time you could not keep a promises" and "tell me about a time you had a problem with a coworker". After the interviews, We all took a computer test which tested math, English, and attention to detail skills. After this test, we were tested again. The task was to read a two page document and write a review of what it was about. Once we were finished, we were allowed to leave.

In my opinion, the reason for such an extensive interview process is for the company to be sure of two things before offering you a position. One- that you have the skills necessary to perform the job, and two- that you will be someone who will want to make it a career.

Claims Specialists have a very high turnover. My advise is that you shadow the position before you accept it. It offers a good salary and benefits but not the growth some people want. Sure, if you do well, you will be promoted to claims specialist II and then III and then senior ...ect.. You could become a Claims Manager, but remember- there are a lot of claims handlers who have been there a long time that may want the same thing. So be prepared to wait.

The position is like pushing carts for a supermarket. You have a list of claims to handle and the faster you settle them, the faster new ones are assigned to you. Don't get me wrong, If you are looking for a good paying career with a decent peak salary and don’t care about repetitiveness, then this is a good rout.

One more thing to be aware of- A lot of claims handlers get trapped in the position. For some reason, claims experience does not help you get a different position in the Insurance field as much as one would think. So many claims handlers get trapped with a decent salary and a job they do not like but they cannot afford to take entry level pay somewhere else. For this reason, you will find many experienced claims handlers who are unhappy but sticking with the career they chose 10+ years ago.

Interview Question – When was a time you could not keep a promiss?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was competitive. Since the position was entry level, you will not have much negotiation leverage. If you do not want to accept the offer, there are other candidates that will.

Lawrenceville, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2011.

Interview Details – I was expecting it to be a one-on-one interview, but I was taken to a conference room where three managers took turns asking me questions. It wasn't bad though.. they were all very nice and the questions weren't too difficult. It actually made me less nervous with more people there, because they were all very warm and easy to talk with.

After some behavioral questions and a few questions about my past employment, I was given a skills test to complete within 25 minutes. It was a situation in which I had to write a response fax to a customer that was inquiring about their claim. I also had to create a list of the items/info that I think I would need to gather to successfully complete the customer's auto claim.. like a police report, body shop estimates, etc.

After this, I was taken to meet the manager that was above the managers I'd previously interviewed with. He asked me a few questions, mostly conversational, for a little while. Then he took me to the manager of the whole facility. He also talked to me for a bit.

After the interviews, I was placed with a rep to listen to some of the calls and see the system that I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were working on a project and something unexpected came up that needed to be dealt with immediately. How did you handle it? How did you set your priorities?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had to work with a team. What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't even attempt to negotiate because others on this site have said that they didn't have luck with it. Their offer was more than what I had in mind, anyway!

Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in January 2011.

Interview Details – I took an online assessment and then was called to do a one on one interview. The interviewer informed me that I had great customer service and investigative work experience. I got an e-mail inviting me to the second interview which was held in Warrenville, IL. The interview consisted of a group/panel interview and there was an all day presentation about the job

Interview Question – Describe a situation that didn't yield an intended outcome. What did you do?   Answer Question

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!