Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Aug 7, 2014

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Danvers, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danvers, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2014.

Started with phone interview and then within a few days was contacted by the hiring manager for a face to face interview. Met with hiring manager and another manager. They asked me mainly situational questions which I thought I answered honestly and did pretty well. Then I met with two group team leaders who asked me similar questions. I again thought I answered them pretty well.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you tried to improve a process or procedure and it was not implemented by your organization?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

I initially received and email asking to reply back to schedule a phone interview. the email was from an unmanned email address. Luckily i was able to guess the senders email address using the name signed at the bottom and Google. I got an email from another person the next day confirming the date. On the day i got a call and proceeded with a phone interview. Pretty standard. STAR questions and prior work review. then a onsite interview was scheduled. I arrived 30 minutes early. Basically similar behavioral questions as on the phone, prior work review. Then i was interviewed by a second manager. Same material basically. I was told they still had people to interview and i should know in a couple of days. Interview lasted about 2 hours and I thought it went well. Soon after I received a rejection via email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

General personality questions. they love to hear about lean/waste reductions in terms of maximizing workflow.

Interview Questions
    not a lot of wiggle room during my interview as it was my first job out of college. i was able to negotiate a nice relocation package.

Claim Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

There were three rounds of interviews. There was one phone interview with HR. And then two in-person interviews with mgmt at the office. There was a lot of competition so you need to come prepaired. But overall it was pretty standard. It definitely felt a little stiff. Bu it was surprisingly quick to get through the whole process and get hired.

Interview Questions
    • How are you different from the other people we could hire?

IDK there are no curve balls really. just standard "describe a time"-type questions.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warrenville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in April 2011.

Lengthy-- must apply online assessment and full application with cover letter, had on campus interview then full day interview with more assessments and two separate interviews with upper lvl management. Expect to talk about your successses and failures

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you did poorly, and received constructive feedback on something you needed to improve on--how did you handle it?"   Answer Question
    N/A set salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Mary, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2010.

Phone Interview, 2 in person interviews

Interview Questions
    • know what kind of disc herniation will result in certain symptoms. If you answer that question wrong, you wont get the job.   Answer Question
    salary is preset on a scale

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2010.

The phone interview and follow up took longer than expected, i had to follow up with HR before hiring manager called me. I think HR dropped the ball on me. But once i got in touch with hiring manager, the process was quick. Interview took 3 hours with 2 manager and a personality and written case test. Offer made within week

Interview Questions
    did not negotiate, it was fair.

Claims Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in January 2012.

My interview processes consisted of a phone interview followed by a in-person interview a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you thinking of leaving your current employer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in April 2010.

To start, there was an initial 1:1 on campus interview. This was a laid back and coved basic work/school history. It provided information about the position and discussed presented the benefits of working for the company.

About a week or so later, I was invited to an all day interview. This was an event for all potential candidates that passed the first round of interviews. To start, we were given a presentation on the company. Covering everything one would need to know about a company they are applying for. After this, the day was broken down into two- 1:1 interviews with managers from the company. It was a "Behavioral" type interview with questions like, "Tell me about a time you could not keep a promises" and "tell me about a time you had a problem with a coworker". After the interviews, We all took a computer test which tested math, English, and attention to detail skills. After this test, we were tested again. The task was to read a two page document and write a review of what it was about. Once we were finished, we were allowed to leave.

In my opinion, the reason for such an extensive interview process is for the company to be sure of two things before offering you a position. One- that you have the skills necessary to perform the job, and two- that you will be someone who will want to make it a career.

Claims Specialists have a very high turnover. My advise is that you shadow the position before you accept it. It offers a good salary and benefits but not the growth some people want. Sure, if you do well, you will be promoted to claims specialist II and then III and then senior ...ect.. You could become a Claims Manager, but remember- there are a lot of claims handlers who have been there a long time that may want the same thing. So be prepared to wait.

The position is like pushing carts for a supermarket. You have a list of claims to handle and the faster you settle them, the faster new ones are assigned to you. Don't get me wrong, If you are looking for a good paying career with a decent peak salary and don’t care about repetitiveness, then this is a good rout.

One more thing to be aware of- A lot of claims handlers get trapped in the position. For some reason, claims experience does not help you get a different position in the Insurance field as much as one would think. So many claims handlers get trapped with a decent salary and a job they do not like but they cannot afford to take entry level pay somewhere else. For this reason, you will find many experienced claims handlers who are unhappy but sticking with the career they chose 10+ years ago.

Interview Questions
    The offer was competitive. Since the position was entry level, you will not have much negotiation leverage. If you do not want to accept the offer, there are other candidates that will.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, GA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2011.

I was expecting it to be a one-on-one interview, but I was taken to a conference room where three managers took turns asking me questions. It wasn't bad though.. they were all very nice and the questions weren't too difficult. It actually made me less nervous with more people there, because they were all very warm and easy to talk with.

After some behavioral questions and a few questions about my past employment, I was given a skills test to complete within 25 minutes. It was a situation in which I had to write a response fax to a customer that was inquiring about their claim. I also had to create a list of the items/info that I think I would need to gather to successfully complete the customer's auto claim.. like a police report, body shop estimates, etc.

After this, I was taken to meet the manager that was above the managers I'd previously interviewed with. He asked me a few questions, mostly conversational, for a little while. Then he took me to the manager of the whole facility. He also talked to me for a bit.

After the interviews, I was placed with a rep to listen to some of the calls and see the system that I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were working on a project and something unexpected came up that needed to be dealt with immediately. How did you handle it? How did you set your priorities?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with a team. What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    I didn't even attempt to negotiate because others on this site have said that they didn't have luck with it. Their offer was more than what I had in mind, anyway!

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!