Liberty Mutual Insurance Customer Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014

2.9

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in October 2014.

I applied online and received email to set up a phone interview two days later. I did well on that interview and set up final interview a week later. The final interview lasted three hours. It consisted of two interviews with two different managers, job shadowing and written assessment. The hiring managers were nice and the interview went well

Interview Questions
Nothing to negotiate. I told the recruiter what I wanted during the phone interview and I got what I asked for.

Other Interview Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Customer Claims Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in September 2014.

I was contacted for a phone interview and set the appointment. At the agreed upon time, I got a call and she asked to reschedule because she had "planned her day poorly" and I agreed. The actual phone interview went well and I was told that I would be contacted in about a month to do an in person interview as the next training class was a few months away. I was never contacted and reached out to them after I got an email to complete a survey about the interview process. I was told I had to apply all over again as they closed that specific opening and opened a new one for the same thing. So I sent my info in again and then got an in person interview.
    The in person interview I went on was cumbersome in more ways than one. I was told specifically to arrive at least 15 minutes early to allow for some filling out of paperwork. I arrived 20 minutes early and the interviewer came to get me 5 minutes past my scheduled interview time. We went upstairs and he had me sit with someone to listen to calls. The person they sat me with was incredibly rude and standoffish, not only with me but the supervisor that walked me over there. The supervisor had said "Hey how was your weekend?" The the rep and the rep said " SHORT". The supervisor introduced me to him and he shook my hand like a wet fish. I asked him how he liked working there and he glared at me and didn't answer me. He proceeded to not say ONE WORD to me the entire time I was there, which was about 30 minutes. I had a few questions I wanted to ask him, but felt so uncomfortable and unwelcome that I kept my mouth shut. I realize that he was just doing his job, but this was NOT a good first impression to a potential employee.
    After that the supervisor came to get me and we went back downstairs for the actual interview. It was the standard behavioral based questions..."tell about a time when you helped a team mate and what was the result" type thing. Being genuinely interested in the company and excited for the opportunity, I had written down a few questions to ask after the interview, most of which were met with "I don't know."
    Then we went back upstairs so I could do some testing. I was asked if I needed to go to the bathroom, which was welcomed because I had been there for well over 2 hours already. It was kind of awkward however, to have both male interviewers wait outside the bathroom for me to finish ( I am female), but maybe that's just me. I was then led to the corner of the office to an empty desk around the corner. I was asked to write an impromptu paragraph, in paragraph form, on anything that I wanted to write about. When I asked if there was anything in particular they would like me to write about, they said "nope, surprise" and let me write while they watched. Again, awkward.
    Then I had to go through all the testing. This was about an hour and a half more. I was told that someone would be back to check on me and to escort me out when I was done. No one came to check on me. After I finished, NOT ONE PERSON was around to escort me out. I stood up so that they would know I was done, and looked around from where I was for someone that I had been introduced to. Not having a security access badge or the slightest clue where I was in relation to any one of authority, I stood there for 20 more minutes until someone finally came over and said "oh I'm glad I looked over there, you are finally done? Those tests suck huh? I'm sure you did fine. I'll walk you out"
    When I left the interview, the excitement I had for the opportunity was completely gone and I wondered if I would accept an offer if one was made based on how uncomfortable and rude the experience was. I felt like I was a burden to everyone I came into contact with that day. I would say that you should avoid walking the potential employee all around the building for different sections of the interview and explain what the purpose of that paragraph writing was all about. Were you looking to see if had enough brains in my head to properly compose a structured paragraph or looking to see what subject matter I was going to be writing about while you watched? Also if you say you will come back to check on me while I am completing a test. DO IT. If you have a potential employee in the office, make sure you know when they are ready to be escorted out and don't just leave them there at the desk standing there like a moron.
    About 3 weeks later I got the auto generated "We regret to inform you that we have filled this position and and this time we have moved forward with another candidate" email, and was semi-relieved to be honest.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing was to have to write a structured paragraph on the fly and not being told why or what the subject matter should be, and then being watched while you write it.   Answer Question

Customer Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2014.

I applied for the position online and received an email for a phone interview about four days later. Phone interview went well-received another email for an on-site interview a week later. On-site interview included; two one on one interviews with managers, a written response, three assessment tests (billing code test, call simulation test, and personality test). I also shadowed with an employee who occupied the same position that I applied for.

My advice- situational/behavioral questions are asked. Have several scenarios in mind. When answering these types of questions, tell a story- do not give verbal "bullet points". Give concrete examples. Be sure to ask good questions- the two managers who I interviewed seemed to appreciate that. Also be certain to ask questions when doing the job shadow. This will give you great insight on the position. As for the written response, be sure to be detailed and thorough in your response. Pay attention to detail and read through the questions on the assessment tests thoroughly. Because the tests are timed, you may feel the need to rush through, but I would advise not to. Most importantly, be yourself, be honest, and although interviews can be stressful, have fun!

*Be advised- each interview experience is unique, and will differ from location to location, albeit the general process is similar. I researched these reviews extensively before my interview, and realized that each interview with regard to the personalities of the managers that interviewees encounter, timing, specific questions asked, etc. are extremely diverse. I guarantee, the interview steps/procedures will be similar, but your experience will likely be much different than mine.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you were extremely busy, and something unexpected happened. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Customer Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2014.

1- Apply online; if you resume fits the requirements of the position you'll get an email
    2- Received email to confirm a phone interview
    3- One week after applying; phone interview (be prepared for a lot of behavioral based questions)
    4- If you do great with the phone interview, you'll be scheduled for a phone interview right then.
    5- In-person interview 2 weeks later (interview with 2 managers- behavioral based questions, complete online assessment, write an essay, and job shadow-ask a bunch of questions and ask the hiring managers questions as well, it shows you're interested)
    6- Job offer 2 days later- depending on the companies needs

Interview Questions
    • It was an unexpected question, but it was no right or wrong answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2014.

As with all companies, I applied online. I received an email from a recruiter about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and was very generic. She asked the usual questions. I was selected for the final interview. The final interview was at the campus in Irving, TX. I arrived at 8th and didn't leave until noon. During that time, we (a group of six applicants) were introduced to the company by one of the managers. I sat side by side with someone who is currently doing the same job as I was applying for, and I took a written assessment. After the written assessment was complete, I sat down for a face to face interview. This would be the first of two face to face interviews. After the face to face interview, I completed a online assessment. The final interview was done right after that. I was told that I would receive a call within a week or two if chosen. I got a call about 3 hours after the interview and was offered the job. I am very excited about the opportunity!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate because the salary they offered was quite a bit higher than what I wanted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

I applied online and received a call back a week later from a recruiter saying she needed a few minutes of my time. The recruiter starts to tell me about the job than proceeds to tell me she had 3 questions to ask me. At the end of the interview she stated she would give my information to the hiring managers and I would hear something in a couple days. Two days later on a Friday I received a rejection email. The whole interview process took 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you solve the issue?
      Tell me why you're leaving your current job?
      Why do you want to work for liberty mutual?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN

They have an online skills test. This basically mimics a computer screen with billing codes as well as a certain set up process. There was one or two I really think their answers did not work properly for. It's a timed test so I might say if it seems impossible, guess and go.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westborough, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westborough, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in October 2013.

Phone screening that seemed to go well. Was told I would hear back from someone within a week either way; i.e. to scehdule a phone interview or to say they would pursue other canidates. A week later didn't hear anything so I called them and have since left 2 messages. Obviously, they aren't interested but don't say your're going to tell people either way when you don't plan on doing so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

My Experience
    I got an email to set up an interview so I awaited the call for the day we agreed upon and I never heard a thing. I emailed the recruiter but still no response and after a few months I reapplied and was emailed again to set up a phone interview. This time I actually got a call and had a short 15 min interview and then I was asked to be available for a face to face.
    The next day I got a call from the local office to come in for the face to face with two managers. I was then called a week or so later to come in for assessments and to job shadow for about 3 hours. Shortly after the third interview I was called and offered the job and begin the background and credit check process. It took so long about a month but I finally got a call once both check cleared with a shift and start date.

Interview Questions
    • Typical Interview questions
      What would you do if.....etc
      Also the tell me about yourself and how would you contribute questions as well.
      I did have an unexpected assessment where I needed to write a letter to a frustrated policy holder about the status of his claim before actually knowing how the claim process worked from start to finish but it was not too bad. I just responded with what I would have wanted to hear if I had inquired about my claim status.
        Answer Question
    There was salary range and I was at the lower end because of lack of experience but I was still satisfied as it is a living wage. No need to negotiate, it's based of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Castle, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Castle, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2012.

This is my third time applying for a position with this company. The process was as follows: I submitted my resume online via taleo.com. After submitting my resume, I was given a pyschogical test, that I am assuming was to determine if I was suitable for the position. After hearing nothing from the company for about a month, I thought I was overlooked for the position but I was then contacted by a recruiter via email that wanted to set up another interview with another recruiter. I was then interviewed by the second recruiter. After about 3 weeks, I was again contacted by the recruiter to setup an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of me shadowing a CCR. I was then interviewwed by (2) team leaders who provided much information regarding the position and seemed to be very positive regarding me answers to thier questions. I was then given an on-line test, which consisted of some psychological questions, and some simulation questions where you were required to act as though you were handling actual customer service calls for all different types of companies. The in-person interview took almost (3) hours.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions were asked during the interview; i.e.: what was the most difficult situation that you've been faced with...etc.   Answer Question