Liberty Mutual Insurance
www.libertymutualgroup.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Liberty Mutual Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Getting the Interview

32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New Castle, PA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied Online, then about a month later I received a call for a phone interview. The Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes, consisted of general "Tell me a time when" questions. A week later, got a call to schedule an in person interview. At the in person interview, there were five other people, we were first taken into a room and asked to do a typing test and to type up email and mailed correspondence as if they would go to a customer. Then the main manager came in, gave a description of the job and duties and escorted us to the next step, which was observing current employees on the phones. The employees were given papers to fill out based on if we asked questions and paid attention. Then we were separated and I met with five different supervisors and managers who each asked more "tell me a time when" type questions. With the last interviewer you are allowed to ask your own questions. About 2 weeks later, I received a call with conditional offer of employment, pending a background check (which they send you a copy of, not many places do that). No drug test. Started work beginning of following month, then 3 months of training.

Interview Question – Mostly general questions like "Tell me a time when you used such and such a skill to complete such and such a task." or "Tell me a time when you went above any beyond for a customer" When I initially interviewed, it was the first time I had been asked SO many of these types of questions, often more than once asked the same question but needed a different answer each time.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – When I first walked in the receptionist was welcoming. There was a group of us waiting to be interviewed. We all entered into the training room, where an over view of the company was given. After which, questions where answered and then we were shuffled off to one on one interviews. My interview had a lot of personality. He was great, I has a few questions which he happily answered. It was a great experience. After your one on one, you sit with a rep to get a up close of how the process works. Mine was great, I enjoyed it. I looked around a bit and noticed friendly people in an upbeat environment.

Interview Question – During my interview, the basic customer service questions came up. The only one I remember is, Name a time where you had a difficult customer, give the situation, and process you used to solve the problem. Not hard at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just be your self and be honest.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – Applied online, next day got a call and an email to set up phone interview. Phone interview was great. Was asked about job experience, and what I know about the company. Then I was told that hiring manager will call me next week to set up a face to face interview. Got a call from him an hour later, and have a date set up already, and looking forward to it.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Woodland Hills, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in October 2013.

Interview Details – First was phone interview then face to face the following week. Still waiting on a call back from recruiter

Interview Question – It was a standard interview. The manager made me feel very comfortable   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – Was first asked to complete on online application, then a phone interview, lastly was the in person interview. At the in person interview, you sit with a current employee and listen in on their calls for about 45 minutes, management then conducts two more interviews with two managers at each interview. Had received a call on the way home to let them know I got the job.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had improved on a process at your place of employment.   Answer Question

Lake Mary, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – I completed the online application in the beginning of July. I was then informed about a week later via email that they would like to schedule a telephone interview. I was told that if they were interested in moving on to the next step, I would hear back in about a week or two. It was about two weeks later and I was informed that they were interested in moving forward with me. I was then scheduled for a 4 hour interview. The interview was setup for a week later.
When I arrived at my interview site, The first person I met gave me a tour and we had a little time for Q and A. I then went into a room and completed a written assessment. I did not find it difficult although I do not have the best hand writing and that aspect concerns me. Then I was taken to a computer where I took an online assessment. I can type at 60wpm but that does not matter as you have to listen and type in the boxes as the information is being provided. I would not really have an issue with this but, I was a bit nervous. The tab did not seem to function normally and I was not able to tab through the fields and I was slowed down by that. I can understand this being important, but I don't think it is a good representation as to your ability to type and take instruction when it's a brand new system to you.

I then met with a very nice woman who then started the questions again and we had chatted about the position as well. I felt very comfortable with both of the people I interviewed with, however, I am not sure if I will get this position because of two questions. One in which was the fact that I would like to keep my part time job. I got the impression that the idea of doing something on the side while working with Liberty Mutual is not what they expect. It could be that I just read the reaction wrong, but that is what I picked up from it. The other question of concern was because I was very interested in upward mobility. Although this was a positive response received- it also seemed like I may have been a little too eager for a change in position. That is not what I meant by this and would be happy to have the position I applied for, but just like the person interviewing me, I am sure that they were motivated to take opportunities to move up the ladder when the opportunity is there. After a few more questions, I was escorted to the day, thanked and heard that I should hear within two weeks.

It has now been a week and I have not heard back as of yet but I will report back when I learn the outcome.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.   View Answer

Framingham, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2012.

Interview Details – This was a lengthy interview process. It starts with filling out an online application and doing an assessment. Then you are contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview takes about half an hour. If they like your answers, you'll be contacted for your first in person interview, where you will have an interview and have a computer assessment to assess your skills. If you pass that, you come in for a third interview where you shadow a rep. If they like everything they've seen, you're hired.

Interview Question – The assessment was difficult, it was very fast paced and required a written example.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate but probably should have

Springfield, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and within a week was contacted to set up a phone interview. Then was asked to come in for a face to face. The face to face involved a job shadow skill test and two 45 minute interviews. Let me know seven days after the face to face

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to step up as a leader   Answer Question

Sacramento, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview Details – I applied online then I received an assessment link through email. Following this I was called to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview lasted around 20 mins. Then I was told that I would be contacted for a n interview with the field manager. One of the things they looked at is if you had any experience in dealing individuals. Bilingual is a plus.

Interview Question – Discuss a situation when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you resolved.   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in February 2012.

Interview Details – Referred by a friend but we didn't do the referral process correctly (the employee needs to refer you via the website...don't start the app process before doing this or it takes longer!) Submitted app/resume online. Got a call for a phone interview within a week. Talked to a recruiter for about a half hour, basic questions; she asked me to come down (from NC to FL) for a face-to-face (no Skype allowed, apparently.) Drove down, interviewed on a Friday afternoon. First was a skills assessment on a computer, alone in a room. Then I interviewed with two different supervisors, separately, and had a quick chat with a site manager. The questions were somewhat unusual (compared to the generic ones I expected) and each one called for a specific example. The first supervisor was very personable and casual; the second was very intimidating (later learned, this is just how she appears;) the manager was very nice. *** If you can get a laugh out of them, you're golden! *** The total interview process that day took about three hours. The next week, I heard from my friend that everything went well. Waited for a call....and waited...and waited... I think it took almost two weeks to get the official offer (via phone call.) Received the written offer via email and started the background check. (The background check is VERY detailed.)

Interview Question – Name a specific time that you were tasked with a difficult assignment and had no help to prepare.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I already knew the salary range for the position (31,300 - 33,700.) I requested 33,000-33,500. They gave me 33,700. No negotiation needed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 32 interview reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees and interview candidates.