Liberty Mutual Insurance Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014
622 interviews

Customer Claims Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2014.

1- Apply online; if you resume fits the requirements of the position you'll get an email
    2- Received email to confirm a phone interview
    3- One week after applying; phone interview (be prepared for a lot of behavioral based questions)
    4- If you do great with the phone interview, you'll be scheduled for a phone interview right then.
    5- In-person interview 2 weeks later (interview with 2 managers- behavioral based questions, complete online assessment, write an essay, and job shadow-ask a bunch of questions and ask the hiring managers questions as well, it shows you're interested)
    6- Job offer 2 days later- depending on the companies needs

Interview Questions
    • It was an unexpected question, but it was no right or wrong answer.   Answer Question

Financial Management Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2012.

First a basic phone interview. Then a finance and accounting test, followed immediately by interviews with previous FMP program members and a more senior manager (they can be from any finance/accounting function within the company). One of the interviewers will have been given a "graded" copy of your test. You could fail the whole thing and still be fine, they just want to hear you discuss your thought process in answering the questions. Be logical and analytical and attempt to answer everything.

Interview Questions
    • When I took the test it was all very basic, but I heard they recently rolled out a new, near impossible test. Don't panic.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. All of the FMP associates are brought in at the same salary level. Also no signing bonus. They do offer relocation assistance though.

Director of State Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in September 2013.

Initially met HR/recruiting in person in a coffee shop. Went on to interview with future boss, several others at my level. The next day was other people at my boss's level plus lunch with my future boss. Continued discussions with my boss, went out to lunch with more people, and got in contact with others at the firm for a take on culture. Overall, people were very helpful and willing to talk to me, which makes sense--people at this company are willing to help in general.

HR/recruiting was great to work with throughout--very patient, helped me with negotiations, and gave me interview tips. Thank you so much to them!!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really too crazy. I did one "case" interview which was less structured compared to other firms--more just brainstorming.

The hardest question for me was, "describe a situation where someone who worked for you was underperforming, and what did you do to help the situation?"
        View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

This was a great easy interview. They wer extremely nice and informative on the job. They were thorough on what they were looking for. Applie online. they wanted to make sure you were a right candiate for the job and make sure that you were going to be good to hire.

Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2014.

Initial phone call to set up phone interview, follow up phone interview with recruiter, phone interview was about 45 min long. A lot of questions about your current job, then basic questions about your work skills/ethic

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you disagreed with a co worker, how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

They offered 40k base salary for the first TWO months (I dont explain why the explain it as a year salary) then they lower you DRASTICALLY to 20k base salary with commissions. Commissions are completely up to you, you have to build your own "book of business". He explained that the middle 3rd of sales reps on average make about 50k-60k after commissions (I dont believe that). They wanted to quickly get me in the next day for an in person interview, but I respectfully declined.

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

The recruiter on the phone seemed surprised when I mentioned being involved in the lgbtq community, and quickly suggested that a Church is good place to network for selling insurance. I guess I wasn't surprised they didn't call back to let me know whether I would get a physical interview.

Customer Claims Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2014.

I applied for the position online and received an email for a phone interview about four days later. Phone interview went well-received another email for an on-site interview a week later. On-site interview included; two one on one interviews with managers, a written response, three assessment tests (billing code test, call simulation test, and personality test). I also shadowed with an employee who occupied the same position that I applied for.

My advice- situational/behavioral questions are asked. Have several scenarios in mind. When answering these types of questions, tell a story- do not give verbal "bullet points". Give concrete examples. Be sure to ask good questions- the two managers who I interviewed seemed to appreciate that. Also be certain to ask questions when doing the job shadow. This will give you great insight on the position. As for the written response, be sure to be detailed and thorough in your response. Pay attention to detail and read through the questions on the assessment tests thoroughly. Because the tests are timed, you may feel the need to rush through, but I would advise not to. Most importantly, be yourself, be honest, and although interviews can be stressful, have fun!

*Be advised- each interview experience is unique, and will differ from location to location, albeit the general process is similar. I researched these reviews extensively before my interview, and realized that each interview with regard to the personalities of the managers that interviewees encounter, timing, specific questions asked, etc. are extremely diverse. I guarantee, the interview steps/procedures will be similar, but your experience will likely be much different than mine.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you were extremely busy, and something unexpected happened. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2014.

Only had a phone interview. They asked about my sales experience and I had just gotten out of college so that experience was limited. Times I've talked to customers etc/ helped them with problems. I thought they would be more aware of my minimal experience in sales from my resume and the fact that I'd completed school in three years so I had minimal time to get experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a sales experience you've had and when you had to persuade a customer?   Answer Question

Project Leader - Special Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dover, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dover, NH

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

Thorough and lengthy process. It took a total of 7 weeks from the initial phone screen with the recruiter to verbal job offer. There were 3 separate on-site visits; all one-on-one interviews with the hiring manager, HR generalist and 4 VPs. Liberty Mutual follows the STAR format for interviews with no trick questions. The dialogue exchange Is meant to see how your skills relate to the position and if there is a cultural and personality fit. Research the company and position and make sure you have quality questions prepared. Everyone was extremely professional and friendly.

The job offer is contingent on passing a background and reference check, which they initiate once you verbally accept. On-boarding and benefits enrollment are done online while that process is taking place.

Interview Questions
    Liberty Mutual posts all their open positions along with the salary range online. There is no second guessing the compensation piece. Where you fall within that range depends on your experience. I was able to discuss this with them and managed to increase the number slightly from their original offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2014.

Began by filling out an online personality and aptitude test. I thought I did horrible with the math portion to be honest, but then ended up getting a phone interview. Phone interview was pretty straight forward and revolved around answering questions based on how I have reacted in certain situations. Went in to a face to face interview where I sat with an agent for about 30 minutes having a q&a about the position, then went over resume with branch manager. After that I came back for an interview where I had to present a marketing plan I created and make 15 outbound calls with no script to capture lead expiration dates. I captured 3 of the 4 I talked to. I then met with another branch manager and the regional sales manager for a final interview. I then did a background check and was informed that I passed but barely in regards to the tickets I have received in the past, and must not get another ticket or at fault accident to maintain a driving role with the company.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase, but everything offered was above expectations. Benefits start on day one and I was offered the higher end of the salary range.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!