Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

Disability Claims Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

My experience with Liberty Mutual has been great so far. My interview was earlier this week and I have not heard back yet, but even if I do not get the position, I have been impressed with the company thus far (I’ve had some disappointing interviews up until this point). Like many of the reviews I have read about them on this site, everyone has been very nice.

I applied online and was given an assessment to take. I would say it was moderately difficult with some word analogies and reading comprehension. Also had some personality related questions.

Next I received an email about setting up a phone interview. This was planned for the next week. I was asked some behavioral style questions and the women I spoke with was very nice. It lasted about 30 minutes. A few days later I received an email to set up my in person interview, which ended up being about two weeks later.

I was interviewed by three managers total and they each asked five behavioral style questions and took notes. They were all very friendly and provided feedback on all my answers which made it easy to develop a rapport. After being interviewed by two managers (each individually), I did a job shadow for an hour; also very pleasant experience. Then I had to do two writing samples. They gave me two worksheets with scenarios and I had to right a formal business letter for the first scenario then an email for the second (hand write, btw). I did not find this difficult. Then I was interviewed by the last, also super friendly manager. I was there for about three and a half hours. I followed up with my recruiter and she informed me she will know more next week.

Interview Questions
    • Name a skill you have been working on improving within the last year.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to work with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you were not able to complete a goal and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Bodily Injury Claim Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

I actually went to the open house for claim positions where they actually did on the spot meet & greets with team managers. A few days after applying I received an email grom the recruiter for a face to face interview that following week. Most people get phone interviews but having been to the open house was a substitute for the phone interview. The 1st interview was about 45 mins and was a series of scenario questions. They are looking for a specific instance for each scenario and expect pretty in depth answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deliver bad news. How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle conflict with a peer in the workplace?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current employer? How long would it take for you to make a contribution to Liberty Mutual?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They asked what salary I was comfortable with and gave me just that. The salary is extremely fair with benefits, bonuses, and advancement opportunities.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

Applied Online, Emailed with a link to do an online evaluation that included that included some basic personality questions and a test with some simulated phone calls. Was then contacted for a telephone interview with some basic questions and information about the job. Was then contacted for a face to face interview, the questions asked were mostly similar to the ones mentioned here (come prepared with several different work stories that you can change for the question), then I did a shadow of a CSR for about 30 minutes and a second interview with more of the same stuff as the first. total of about 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • The last time you asked a supervisor about your work performance and his response.   View Answer
    no negotiation

Senior Customer Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

Originally spoke to Liberty Mutual through my school's career fair. Had a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Received a phone call a few days later to come in for a in office interview. Process took about three hours. Had a presentation with a group of candidates then broke off and did two individual interviews followed by a short exam.

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

I applied through my college.

1st round interview: Behavioral
    Interviewer went through my resume and then talked about himself and asked questions about me.

2nd round interview: Behavioral
    I talked with the project manager for the IT division and was asked about stuff on my resume once again.

Interview process was easy and they were very friendly.

Interview Questions

It was an IT position not software development.

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

Originally I applied through college. They scheduled an on campus interview with hr for 45 min about 1-2 weeks later. They asked behavioral questions and about my resume. I then received a reply for a second interview about 1.5 weeks later saying that they wanted a hiring manager to talk to me. This interview was also very behavioral in nature and there were no technical questions, but lets be real, those are the best interviews. This interview was intended to be 1 hour, but to my surprised was very quick and we finished around 35 minutes. I originally thought I did something wrong and it was cut short, but I got an offer 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe for me how you conducted tests for your previous project.   Answer Question

Actuarial Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in October 2014.

Very awesome experience! Applied online. Got a phone interview after quite a while (maybe 2 months later). But after the phone interview, everything became fast and efficient. Passed the phone interview and got an invitation to one of their offices for a full day interview after about 2 weeks. Met about 7 people, all of them were actuaries (or actuarial assistants). They were all energetic, smart and nice people. Most of the interviews were informal and behavioral. For the first time i felt like that I had a wonderful day after a full day interview (what). Got the decision just a week after.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected. How to deal with difficult team members, describe your projects, etc. But be prepared there may be some "estimate" questions (like those usually show up in consulting interviews).   Answer Question
    The package is great. I didn't negotiate.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in May 2014.

I had two rounds of interviews. The first consisted of a easy behavioral interview, coupled with questions about my quantitative reasoning ability and expertise using different statistical software. The final round consisted of two behaviorals and one case, with the case being a relatively easy mathematical case about the insurance industry. Very cut and dry stuff

Interview Questions
    • If not prepared to share your expertise with statistical software, the interview can be a bit tricky. Luckily, I was prepared.   Answer Question

Commercial Insurance Interview

Contacted for phone screening, went really well. No interview yet. Been 3 weeks. Not holding my breath for a call. Recruiter estimated the whole process can take as little as one week.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Relatively straightforward process, went through my school, sat down with recruiter on campus to talk about the position. Asked about my classes related to the job, any previous experiences I'd had, interested in the analytical work i did the summer before with Excel.

Interview Questions
    • They were very interested in analytical software and previous experience with that.   Answer Question