Liberty Mutual Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

Advanced Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

The onsite interview consists of four individual interviews each of 40 minutes, an informal lunch interview with the purpose of assessing your personality, and a spontaneous writing of a short statement of purpose.

The interviewers come from different departments within the company that uses advanced analytical skills and the crew includes a variety backgrounds including statistics, economics, operation research, actuarial science and etc. Eight of us came in for the interview on one day and all of us are foreign (seven Chinese). Seems that the company is fine with sponsorship, since they are trying to recruit full-time employees among their interns.

Some of the interviewers are more aggressive than others, but they all are fairly friendly overall. You always have time to ask them questions at the end of your talk. Make use of that time.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research project. Are you familiar with semi-parametric models? What are the things you can do if data is fairly limited, say with only 5 observations? What is the most difficult decision you have to make in the past year? Why are you interested in the insurance business? Where do you see yourself in a couple of years?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

On-campus interview, then day-long onsite interview. Campus interview focused on primarily behavioral questions. The on-site interview was broken down into 5 parts: a quantitative assessment, three case interviews with senior managers, and then a lunch with current consultants. The quantitative assessment and the lunch were group activities, each of the case interviews were conducted on an individual basis.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you received feedback that you weren't expecting?   Answer Question

Claims Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in March 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview. Asked a lot of behavioral questions. Call lasted about 30 mins. The recruiter was extremely nice and made me feel comfortable. Told me I would hear back from her soon...

Interview Questions

• When was a time you were working with a group and had to negotiate to get your way? What would you do if you were working in a team and someone wasn't holding their weight?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Miami, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a request by email for a phone interview a week later. I had the phone interview with the recruiter over the phone. She was very nice and informative. She explained the role, salary and the possibility of growth within the company. About a week later, I interviewed with the Sales Agent and office manager. They asked me about my sales background, how I present myself to prospects and even had me call live leads during my interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

The first step is to fill out an application. The next step (if invited), is to complete an online test and questionnaire. The online test is timely. After completing that portion of the interview (if invited), a phone interview is held. I was looking to change careers and was hoping to find a position with a reputable company that respects knowledge, experience, and their employees. The phone interviewer was lacking in professionalism and experience. The interviewer had inadequate listening skills and limited personality. She was stiff, unprofessional, and denoted an inexperienced-young vibe. It felt like I was talking to a 16 year old.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

Applied online, and was given a phone interview. I was then emailed by an HR rep, and found a time to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted about 35 minutes, and was pleasant. The overall experience was positive.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about previous experience, and what-if scenarios.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

Applied online, Took Pre-Screen aptitude test, phone interview with a recruiter followed by an on site initial interview with a manager, followed immediately by a second interview with a sr manager

FInance Rotation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

It was long and impersonal with a crowd. Everyone split up with different managers with different preferences, which seemed very ineffective. After the hour long pitch of how great the company was, I had decided it wasn't for me, but felt obligated to stay the day.

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email to have a phone interview. A couple of days later received an email inviting me to final round interviews at headquarters in Boston. Interview day was from 8am til 3pm. Two 45 minute one on one behavioral interviews, one 45 minute case interview, and one 45 minute job shadow. The whole process was good, organized and NOT stressful! Behavioral questions were standard about teamwork, problem solving/decision making, and presentation experience. Case was not that bad--you get time to prep your response. Everyone was really nice, was a small group of candidates interviewing that day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to explain complex concepts to a group of people.
      A time when you worked with someone and had differing views of opinion.
      A time when you had a difficult relationship with someone and how you worked to mend it?
      How do you prioritize your time?
      Tell me about a time when you had to make a quick decision in a short amount of time.
      Time you had a difficult/complex problem to solve, how did you go about it?

Answer Question

Interview

Apply online, which requires you to also take a timed quantitative test. The quant test has 3 topics with a total of 9 questions. They require you to look at a chart of data and answer questions about the data within a certain time period.
    If they're interested, they'll email you with an invitation to conduct a video screening interview over Microsoft Lync.
    The interview takes approximately one hour, mostly asking behavior questions (tell me about a time you...). Some example questions:
    -What made you want to apply for a position at Liberty Mutual?
    -Tell me about a time you had to overcome a disagreement within your team?
    -Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?
    After the video screening interview, you should here back within 1-2 weeks about a follow-up interview to be conducted in person at their Boston office.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you gave a peer some bad information and how you resolved the situation.   Answer Question