Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

Sales Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

The normal procedure is: online screening by recruiter including personality assessment, initial interview, follow-up interview. I met a recruiter at a job fair and received a 1st. interview about two weeks later by the hiring manager before my online assessment was completed.

The interview questions were not difficult, mostly scenario questions like "Tell me how you would go about finding new sales prospects" or "Explain how you handled a situation where there was a communication break-down with a customer".

The job entails spending about 60% of the time prospecting, which entails cold calling and making online presentations to existing Affinity Group customers. In the first year of sales, the goal is to obtain as many referral sources as possible (ie, loan officers, realtors, etc...). The prospecting goal is to hit 15 quotes per week and writing 200-300 new policies per year. Evening work (2-3 nights per week) is required to follow-up with leads made during the day.

Liberty Mutual starts new reps. out in training first with a base salary and as commissions are made the base salary is reduced until compensation is 100% commission. First year goal is 60-70k and it was suggested even someone making 50k could be fired their first year. Renewal policies are paid a residual.

Even though I did not receive further consideration, Liberty Mutual staff were very professional and interested in finding the right person for the position.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Had about a 30 min interview asking basic interview questions. After the interview a personality test was given, sat down to shadow a representative and interviewed with the district manager before being offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you helped another employ and why did you do it?   Answer Question

Claims Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Phone screen with rep from Florida hiring for a position in Ma. Behavioral a questions and review of work history and experience. Recvd a call for interview a week later. Keep in mind I was a previous employee. I had a 2 -hr interview with 4 managers . all behavioral questions. A week later I saw on liberty mutuals hr profile my app was withdrawn. I called the recruiter to ask why would that status change with out my actual knowledge ... Instead of a call back ...they responded with am email they are not considering me for the position which was strange in the way the series of events played out.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to make a decision with limited information?   Answer Question

Bodily Injury Claims Specialist Interview

The interview was basically behvioral based. Tell me about a time, yadda, yadda, yadda. The managers who interviewed me laid back and made me feel very comfortable. During the interview they asked me a techical insurance term, which was different because I never completed an interview where they actually tested my knowledge on the spot.

Actuarial Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Apply online, received an email requesting a phone interview for an HR screening. Two weeks later, received another email to reschedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Questions were straight forward. The interview lasted for about one hour. You should expect a lot of behavior question, technical questions. Having past at least 3 exams is a plus

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

Originally I applied through college. They scheduled an on campus interview with hr for 45 min about 1-2 weeks later. They asked behavioral questions and about my resume. I then received a reply for a second interview about 1.5 weeks later saying that they wanted a hiring manager to talk to me. This interview was also very behavioral in nature and there were no technical questions, but lets be real, those are the best interviews. This interview was intended to be 1 hour, but to my surprised was very quick and we finished around 35 minutes. I originally thought I did something wrong and it was cut short, but I got an offer 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe for me how you conducted tests for your previous project.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

Applied Online, Emailed with a link to do an online evaluation that included that included some basic personality questions and a test with some simulated phone calls. Was then contacted for a telephone interview with some basic questions and information about the job. Was then contacted for a face to face interview, the questions asked were mostly similar to the ones mentioned here (come prepared with several different work stories that you can change for the question), then I did a shadow of a CSR for about 30 minutes and a second interview with more of the same stuff as the first. total of about 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • The last time you asked a supervisor about your work performance and his response.   View Answer
    no negotiation

Underwriting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

I completed a phone interview for the first round of the interview and then was asked into the office for a second interview. The interview lasted about an hour and a half and I was interviewed by the person who would be my manager and also the person who would be my mentor. I felt pretty comfortable throughout the entire interview process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were behavioral or about my working style. They did ask about my weaknesses and some basic questions about insurance to see if I knew what underwriting was.   Answer Question
    I was able to talk to my recruiter and planned that I was going to take a one week vacation during the summer before accepting the position.

Disability Claims Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

My experience with Liberty Mutual has been great so far. My interview was earlier this week and I have not heard back yet, but even if I do not get the position, I have been impressed with the company thus far (I’ve had some disappointing interviews up until this point). Like many of the reviews I have read about them on this site, everyone has been very nice.

I applied online and was given an assessment to take. I would say it was moderately difficult with some word analogies and reading comprehension. Also had some personality related questions.

Next I received an email about setting up a phone interview. This was planned for the next week. I was asked some behavioral style questions and the women I spoke with was very nice. It lasted about 30 minutes. A few days later I received an email to set up my in person interview, which ended up being about two weeks later.

I was interviewed by three managers total and they each asked five behavioral style questions and took notes. They were all very friendly and provided feedback on all my answers which made it easy to develop a rapport. After being interviewed by two managers (each individually), I did a job shadow for an hour; also very pleasant experience. Then I had to do two writing samples. They gave me two worksheets with scenarios and I had to right a formal business letter for the first scenario then an email for the second (hand write, btw). I did not find this difficult. Then I was interviewed by the last, also super friendly manager. I was there for about three and a half hours. I followed up with my recruiter and she informed me she will know more next week.

UPDATE: I received a job offer yesterday (one day shy of a week from my in person interview). One thing I did was made sure that I stayed in contact with the recruiter, to make her aware that I was still interested. I am now beginning the background process.

Interview Questions
    • Name a skill you have been working on improving within the last year.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to work with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you were not able to complete a goal and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Senior Customer Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

Originally spoke to Liberty Mutual through my school's career fair. Had a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Received a phone call a few days later to come in for a in office interview. Process took about three hours. Had a presentation with a group of candidates then broke off and did two individual interviews followed by a short exam.