Liberty Mutual Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014

No Fault Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

I applied online by uploading my resume and taking a couple competency tests. A week later I was called to set up a phone screening interview, where they asked a little bit about my previous work experience and a little about time-specific instances (ex - describe a time when you displayed excellent customer service to a difficult customer). At the end of the call, the recruiter told me she would like to have me come into the office for an open house, where I would interview again and job shadow, etc. That was a week later, and it was definitely a different experience. Myself and another applicant were first brought into a meeting room where an employee explained the principals and quality standards of Liberty Mutual, some history on the company, etc. Then I met with a manager for my first interview - again, VERY SPECIFIC. Name a time when...describe an instance when....and so on. I really had to prepare for this interview, so don't go in blind. Next I job shadowed a current employee, took a written test (it was an example of how I would handle a claim, steps I would take), took an online test very similar to the one I took when I applied online, and lastly took an interactive customer service test. Finally, I interviewed with one of the top managers who - again - asked me very time specific questions. Come up with lots of examples! The next day I was called by LM and offered a position pending a background check. The background check took about 2 weeks, and once it cleared my start date was another 2 weeks later, and now I'm going through 2 weeks of extensive training. It's a very very very very lengthy process, but this company is very impressive - offers excellent benefits and incentives, and everyone seems very happy here. Good team vibe, so you don't feel like they're just throwing you out on the floor and telling you to start answering calls without any help or training.

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific time when you had to take on a leadership role, whether it be at a previous job, school, etc. How did others respond to your leadership? Did you have to overcome any obstacles while making your decisions?   View Answer
    Because I had prior claims experience and prior medical experience, I was offered around 42,500. I didn't negotiate because I thought that was fair. The company encourages you to apply for other jobs within the company, so I intend on applying for a higher paid position within my first year here.

Insurance Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wausau, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wausau, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

I applied and had an interview the next week. The interview process was pretty usual. They closed all their satellite offices around the country and centralized so they were hiring like 30 people.

Interview Questions
    • When have you noticed a small problem and knew it could potentially become a big problem. How did you notice it and what steps did you take to solve the problem?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

It was a very extensive process. Started with a phone interview and online assessment. If you pass that, you start with an initial face to face interview with the prospective branch manager. Then, you can be invited for a second round interview with same branch manager with a sales pitch simulation. Lastly, you finish with a final interview with the Area President. From there, as long as your background check clears, you get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Put these in order from least important to most important in a job (i.e. Money, ethics, recognition, integrity, stability).   View Answer

Product Management Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

I received an email to schedule telephone interview for the following day. She asked many questions, such as "Name a time where you had incomplete information and had to come to a decision."

Field Counsel Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

People were generally very nice. No pointed or very difficult questions were asked. Interviews were done with 2-4 attorneys, depending on the nature of the position and availability of staff. Interview lasted about an hour or so, and the response from the hiring manager was relatively fast.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked how much secretarial support I would need/expect--difficult to answer since I knew they were cutting staff and downsizing in general.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was an employer's market out there and you could not negotiate salary much, if at all.

Business Systems Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

Submitted my resume for the position in Portsmouth on the 5/20 and received a follow up email for a phone interview with HR the next day. I spoke with HR on 5/22 and the conversation was roughly 30 minutes with mainly behavioral questions and resume clarifications. My resume and HR interview notes were submitted to two hiring managers since I had actually applied to two positions with the same job title with two different groups.

I received a follow up call from HR on 5/23 noting both hiring managers wanted to do a face-to-face interview so I could expect to schedule the interview soon. Her assistant contacted me on 5/28 and the face-to-face interview was performed on 6/5 meeting with 2 hiring managers and 3 other staff members. The interview lasted a little over 3 hours to meet and talk with each person. Majority of questions from the first hiring manager were about my qualifications and some standard interview questions such as "strength/weakness" and scenarios. The next 3 people including the 2nd hiring manager asked standard interview questions and described their process/group.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you dealt with a difficult team member or customer during a project. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation as they came to the table with the salary desired. I was told the offer was a bit ago their median range so I may or may not see a merit based increase in the first year.

Customer Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

They have an online skills test. This basically mimics a computer screen with billing codes as well as a certain set up process. There was one or two I really think their answers did not work properly for. It's a timed test so I might say if it seems impossible, guess and go.

Pricing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

Applied Online and one of their recruiters contacted me. We talked over the phone for about 30 minutes and then she passed me along to the hiring manager. The hiring manager and I talked for about 45 to an hour. Most of the questions were basically background in terms of how I might fit. I had a background in education with a business focus since graduating undergrad in 2012 and was trying to switch fields.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the hiring manager continued to ask how my experience fit with the role in a number of different ways. He was looking for something I clearly did not know how to respond to.   Answer Question

Project Leader - Special Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dover, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dover, NH

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in June 2014.

Thorough and lengthy process. It took a total of 7 weeks from the initial phone screen with the recruiter to verbal job offer. There were 3 separate on-site visits; all one-on-one interviews with the hiring manager, HR generalist and 4 VPs. Liberty Mutual follows the STAR format for interviews with no trick questions. The dialogue exchange Is meant to see how your skills relate to the position and if there is a cultural and personality fit. Research the company and position and make sure you have quality questions prepared. Everyone was extremely professional and friendly.

The job offer is contingent on passing a background and reference check, which they initiate once you verbally accept. On-boarding and benefits enrollment are done online while that process is taking place.

Interview Questions
    Liberty Mutual posts all their open positions along with the salary range online. There is no second guessing the compensation piece. Where you fall within that range depends on your experience. I was able to discuss this with them and managed to increase the number slightly from their original offer.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

long process. Liberty Mutual has 2-3 interviews before they decide to choose someone. There is an online exam, cold calling, then a final interview with branch manager and area manager.