Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Nov 6, 2014

3.1

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Representative Interview

Applied online with a referral. Got an email to schedule a phone interview. Was told it would be 45-mins to and hour but only lasted about 15 minutes. It felt the recruiter was trying to sell me on the job more than I was trying to sell her on me. Very basic questions about my background, no curve balls. She said she'll set up me with an area manager for an in person interview.

In person interview was supposed to be long but only lasted 20 minutes (I may have bombed it) the manager was reading generic questions from a form and writing down my answers as I spoke. An example of the a questions was "What was a time you had to resolve a problem with a customer?, What were the action steps you took to overcome this problem? What was the outcome?" It was a very "worksheet format"'interview

Interview Questions
  • She asked if I had any questions for her and seemed disappointed I didn't.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Sales Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in November 2014.

The normal procedure is: online screening by recruiter including personality assessment, initial interview, follow-up interview. I met a recruiter at a job fair and received a 1st. interview about two weeks later by the hiring manager before my online assessment was completed.

The interview questions were not difficult, mostly scenario questions like "Tell me how you would go about finding new sales prospects" or "Explain how you handled a situation where there was a communication break-down with a customer".

The job entails spending about 60% of the time prospecting, which entails cold calling and making online presentations to existing Affinity Group customers. In the first year of sales, the goal is to obtain as many referral sources as possible (ie, loan officers, realtors, etc...). The prospecting goal is to hit 15 quotes per week and writing 200-300 new policies per year. Evening work (2-3 nights per week) is required to follow-up with leads made during the day.

Liberty Mutual starts new reps. out in training first with a base salary and as commissions are made the base salary is reduced until compensation is 100% commission. First year goal is 60-70k and it was suggested even someone making 50k could be fired their first year. Renewal policies are paid a residual.

Even though I did not receive further consideration, Liberty Mutual staff were very professional and interested in finding the right person for the position.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Three interviews, one over the phone, two in-person. It's all behavioral-based interviewing: "tell me about a time when..." They want to get to know you and how you work as a n individual. I've worked in the role for just shy of a year now and there is a high turnover - they need to know you are a self-starter with a strong will to succeed in this business.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you explained something very complicated to someone."   Answer Question
    They set expectations at the beginning, there is no negotiating.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

The HR rep was very straightforward and polite. He sounded very attentive and interested in what I had to say. The conversation went well and I was asked to come visit the main office immediately.

Sales Representative Interview

Only had first initial phone interview. I have previous insurance sales experience, so most of the questions were regarding my experiences and there was not really any difficult questions. Most of the time, the interviewer explained the company and position to me, basically attempting to sell me on the role. I then took an assessment, where the math questions were surprisingly difficult. I talked to the recruiter again who explained next steps. I have followed up via email but haven't heard a response back yet.

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

The recruiter on the phone seemed surprised when I mentioned being involved in the lgbtq community, and quickly suggested that a Church is good place to network for selling insurance. I guess I wasn't surprised they didn't call back to let me know whether I would get a physical interview.

Sales Representative Interview

This was a great easy interview. They wer extremely nice and informative on the job. They were thorough on what they were looking for. Applie online. they wanted to make sure you were a right candiate for the job and make sure that you were going to be good to hire.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in August 2014.

Initial phone call to set up phone interview, follow up phone interview with recruiter, phone interview was about 45 min long. A lot of questions about your current job, then basic questions about your work skills/ethic

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you disagreed with a co worker, how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

They offered 40k base salary for the first TWO months (I dont explain why the explain it as a year salary) then they lower you DRASTICALLY to 20k base salary with commissions. Commissions are completely up to you, you have to build your own "book of business". He explained that the middle 3rd of sales reps on average make about 50k-60k after commissions (I dont believe that). They wanted to quickly get me in the next day for an in person interview, but I respectfully declined.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2014.

Began by filling out an online personality and aptitude test. I thought I did horrible with the math portion to be honest, but then ended up getting a phone interview. Phone interview was pretty straight forward and revolved around answering questions based on how I have reacted in certain situations. Went in to a face to face interview where I sat with an agent for about 30 minutes having a q&a about the position, then went over resume with branch manager. After that I came back for an interview where I had to present a marketing plan I created and make 15 outbound calls with no script to capture lead expiration dates. I captured 3 of the 4 I talked to. I then met with another branch manager and the regional sales manager for a final interview. I then did a background check and was informed that I passed but barely in regards to the tickets I have received in the past, and must not get another ticket or at fault accident to maintain a driving role with the company.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase, but everything offered was above expectations. Benefits start on day one and I was offered the higher end of the salary range.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in July 2014.

Only had a phone interview. They asked about my sales experience and I had just gotten out of college so that experience was limited. Times I've talked to customers etc/ helped them with problems. I thought they would be more aware of my minimal experience in sales from my resume and the fact that I'd completed school in three years so I had minimal time to get experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a sales experience you've had and when you had to persuade a customer?   Answer Question