Liberty National Life

Updated Jan 24, 2015
Updated Jan 24, 2015

1.7

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

The whole thing is shady, but I gave it two weeks since I didn't have any other job lined up. In that two weeks I learned everything that follows.

I got a call after posting my resume on Monster and was asked a series of questions. They couldn't care less what your answers are. They just want warm bodies to come through the door.

Since I didn't have anything going on that day I went ahead and went to the interview. It wasn't an interview. It was a sales pitch glorifying insurance sales.

You're asked to bring two copies of your resume. You really don't need to. They never mention anything on your resume or even have them anywhere visible. They just ask you "Why do you want to work here?" and "Do you want to make lots of money?" indicative of insurance to make it feel like you're being interviewed.

You're told you were selected from a number of candidates. No, you weren't. They literally print off lists of names from monster and career builder and have their agents go down the list calling anyone and everyone. It's a numbers game. You're not even paid for the time you spend calling people. And you'll also be using your own phone and minutes. So expect LOTS of voicemails and calls and texts from people who decide they don't want to come to an interview after doing their research online.

The company literally has nothing invested in you except their awful training. Supposedly it's broken into days, but I never knew what day I was on. There's some role-playing, but it was all very superficial.

Part of your training is setting up appointments to meet potential clients. Good luck. Again, you're using your own phone and minutes and will get all sorts of texts and voicemails. You're told that for every 100 calls you make, you'll get 10 appointments. Of those 10, 5 will be no-shows, meaning you'll drive all the way out to them and they won't be home or will pretend not to be home. Of those 5 that are home when you arrive, you'll make one sale. You're expected to do this twice per week so expect to make 200+ calls to set 20 appointments to be stood up by 10 to make 2 sales. Those are the numbers of the business and you better be comfortable annoying people while they're trying to eat dinner. Expect to get yelled and cussed at as well. These things didn't bother me so much, but after a while it just feels like you're beating your head against the wall (and I only did call clinic twice; I can't imagine doing it twice per week as part of a job the rest of my life.)

Now, I'm not saying it couldn't potentially be a very well paying job. Anything commission based can be, but in my two weeks I was miserable. Training is a joke. The place was a madhouse. They don't fire anyone. If you keep showing up, they let you stay. I literally sat there for 20 minutes and watched a girl argue with the director in front of a room of people. I've never been so uncomfortable. I spent a week lying around just recuperating from the stress of the previous two weeks. They tell you anyone can do it, and maybe that true, but you'd be far more likely to succeed if you have prior sales experience and can handle the infinite boredom that goes along with making call after call after call after call...you get the idea.

It's sink or swim since it's all commission and since training takes a month you better have some savings. They don't tell you that. Also, expect to be pressured into signing up for a temporary license if you're in Florida. That'll run you $100+ and is just another way they hook you in.

If you're genuinely interested, I suggest telling your director you want to test-drive the job. They're not going to say no. And if they try to pressure you into signing up with the company and getting your licenses before you test run the company, then RUN. Tell your director you want to shadow a few agents and see how the process works. THEN make your decision. Don't play into their game like I did and waste $500 bucks in gas, licensing, and gas-station food.

Like I said, they accept everyone and 95% wash out in a month. I was gone in 2 weeks to move onto bigger and better things.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty National Life.

After get a call from liberty national I was very excited, so I went to the interview the next day. I was very nerves but the interview process wasn't hard at all. I was hired for the position. It's not hard but trying to get customer to purchase insurance was the hardest part. Building your customer trust was fun because I'm a people person. If you are a good sale person this job will be good or you. The employee was fun and I enjoy working at Liberty, but I knew that job wasn't for me.

Sales/Memphis, TN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Liberty National Life in January 2015.

Received a call by recruiter. Recruiter asked a few simple questions and then set a meeting time and date. Interview consisted of watching a slide show with several other candidates and 2 one on one interviews. I was called back a couple of days later for another interview and job offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any difficult or unexpected questions asked.   View Answer

The job that I came to be interviewed for was not the poisition being offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty National Life in October 2014.

Just like most of the others, I got a random phone call one morning to schedule an interview for the next day. The recruiter said they saw my resume online, thought I was a good potential candidate. Reminded me to dress professionally, which I thought was a little weird--who doesn't dress professionally for an interview? The recruiter didn't mention a specific position, but he did text me later to confirm, so I used that opportunity to ask him what the position was. He responded with 'benefit consultant,' but never heard that title again during the whole process.

Looked up the location on google maps, looked pretty shady, but I decided to go, an interview's an interview.

Next morning, arrived, registered in their office, turns out the guy I talked to the day before wasn't there, so I spoke with someone else, then went to the group session, and I found out why they remind you to dress professionally--not everyone does. There was a bit of a wait before the presentation started, and it turned out to be more of a sales pitch than anything else. Like someone else pointed out, it was unsettling that there was a bit of a discrepancy in what they were throwing out--5 diamond hotel conventions with carpet that's starting to peel off the floor in their self-proclaimed top ranked office.

I decided to give it a shot anyway. After the hour-long group presentation, you have an exit interview. And if you play your cards right, you have a second interview with one of the higher-ups. They like to throw out the phrase "partner with you" a lot. The second interview is really the same thing as before, more behavioral questions, and that's it, you get offered a job. Never was asked about any point on my resume. They'll try to take you downstairs to register for a course in insurance sales.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we partner with you?
      What are some of your weaknesses?
      What are some of your qualities that will help you be successful in business?

Answer Question

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Liberty National Life in October 2014.

Waste of time. The owner called me personally so I thought this may really be something. You always take your chances with insurance company interviews. We talked for a good bit about why I wanted to be a trainer for them and why I thought my background was fitting for the position. Two days later, I went to the interview which consisted of immediately meeting with a team member who said I am the type of person they want! Right there, I knew this was a joke. No professional hiring manager ever says that within 10 mins of meeting someone. He told me there would be a presentation and "to keep an open mind". I said I would try but I already researched the company and I was really there to learn more about the specific position that I applied for. He said they would get to that. I should have left. I stuck it out and sat through the 1.5 hour PowerPoint presentation about the company and listened to the owner dance around the fact that this was a sales job and commission based salary even though the posting said regular salary. Funny thing is that I was in the interview with two other people and when we were asked why we were looking for new employment, all of us said we never wanted another sales job with quotas and commission. Hmm, funny how that is exactlywhat this job is.

After the presentation, I was taken in to talk one-on-one and I politely called the owner out for wasting my time for bringing me there after I had told him twice that I was not interested in sales. He had the nerve to ask me to email him a questionnaire about my dream job and goals and blah blah blah. I said no thank you.

Word to the wise, don't fill out the paperwork they give you before the meeting gets started. They ask for your social security number which they do not need unless they are serious about hiring you. They will flat out tell you this first meeting is preliminary to an official second interview.

Interview Questions
    • When taken into the office, I was asked on a scale from 1-10 how interested I was in working there after the presentation. If you have to ask that question, you obviously know you are trying to pull a swift one on applicants.   View Answer

Management Ended Up to BE Sales Interview

I received a phone call from someone that said they saw my resume on a website (cannot remember which one). The recruiter asked me some general questions about my experience. The recruiter told me there were several positions in sales, back office and management available. I told the recruiter I was NOT interested in any sales positions.

When I went to the interview, there were several other applicants there at the same time for interviews. All were taken individually for initial interviews. When I went in for my interview, I asked if the position was for sales. I was told the yes. I let the interviewer know that I specifically asked about not applying for sales positions. With all of my years of working, I know my strengths and opportunities. Sales is not my thing. They did not have any other positions available. I immediately ended the interview and left. As it turned out, several folks before me did the same thing.

Overall, it was a complete waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cullman, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cullman, AL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Liberty National Life in October 2014.

Was contacted one day and told interviews were on Tues and Wed. Had interview on Wed, given a presentation and told how much money was possible. Discussed how I wouldn't be left to "hang in the breeze" with no training. Told to think about it overnight and was offered the job the next morning. Went that afternoon to fill out paperwork, apply for license (pay for it) and began work the following Monday morning.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult as it was all a prepared presentation that probably has been done a hundred times minimum.   Answer Question
    There was nothing to negotiate - they are in a win-win situation, they put no money into you, if you make any money, they make money - you take all the risk

Sales/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Liberty National Life in October 2014.

I got a call from a recruiter who saw my resume online. When I arrived for the interview I spoke briefly with one of the managers before being taken to a group conference room. A group of us listened to the owner describe the success of the business and what the work involved. After the owner finished, the manager took us back one at a time to ask some more detailed questions about what you could offer the company. The company suggested that the reason most people do not like full commission jobs was because most Americans are lazy. There are numerous other reasons why one would not accept a full commission job. This job is not for people not willing to spend a few hundred dollars to get a license and drive virtually anywhere to meet a client (usually at their home). If you have experience in sales and have business aspirations you might consider this company.

Interview Questions
    • What are two weaknesses you have? How competitive are you?   Answer Question

Agency Director Interview

Very straight forward and Clear objectives and expectations. You have to open your mind to allow value in! Just like any interview you want to be prepared to sell yourself! Its important to be yourself while selling yourself!

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

interviewed at Liberty National Life in September 2014.

I was called for a management position, but they never replied when I ask for a job description. On the interview day, the whole process sounds like a marketing presentation for both the company and their product, which is okay. What disappointed me is that if I am interviewed for an agent position, it would be better to tell the truth instead of coming up with a fake position.

Interview Questions
    • Three traits that lead you to a business success.
      Two weaknesses that you want to improve.

Answer Question