Liberty Tax Service

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service.

Interview Details – There wasn't really an interview process. I just took a rapid tax course (3 days) and after those 3 days the store manager made an offer to the individuals she thought would be an asset to her store. I wish I would have taken the 6 or 8 week course.

Interview Question – There was no interview   Answer Question

Tax Preparer

I applied in-person - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service in December 2012.

Interview Details – 2 week unpaid training that consists of testing and role playing. Group hire and interview.

Interview Question – Just the role playing was odd   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/a

Hazel Park, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview was very informal and we never took off our coats. It was bizarre and the lady interviewing had an "I'm better than you attitude" but I looked past that very rough exterior since I was there about the job. She did not ask more than 5 questiins including, "how did i hear about the job", which I didn't because they called me, I never applied before that day. The so called hiring process is the class you supposedly have to pass. Its an open book test at the end of the class which leads into you working at one of the sites.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I was asked is what year did I graduate from college.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one.

Centralia, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was conducted in a very professional manner. Very informative

Interview Question – Most difficult question regarding availability to work   Answer Question

Tax Preparer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service.

Interview Details – Submit Resume, attend classes, take test and CE's-that's it.

Negotiation Details – There was none, everything is set in stone.

Charlotte, NC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service in December 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is based off of those who successfully complete the 10-week tax course and get their Levels 1 and 2 certifications to work in an office.

Interview Question – How will this tax training course help you in the future?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay rates were negotiable at the time I worked there. There were 3 different pay rates to choose from.

Interviewed at Liberty Tax Service

Interview Details – Anyone who took the class got an interview.

Interview Question – Easy as pie   Answer Question

Bronx, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interview Process was non-existant, they just threw you into different offices wherever you were needed, didn't even really ask about experience

Hiring was quite chaotic with them running out of positions despite hiring many more people than they obviously needed, word of advice, try to get in good with one of the managers at an office, not only will they give you more hours, you can maneuver to more pay as well

Negotiation Details – They wanted to pay minimum wage but I got it up to 12$

Columbia, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service in December 2012.

Interview Details – There wasn't really a hiring or interview process. If you wanted the job, you got it. Come into training, and voila! You're employed.

Interview Question – Do you want the job?   View Answers (2)

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Liberty Tax Service in December 2011.

Interview Details – The initial job offer listing pay was $10 + high commissions, however during interview the owner, Nelson Maldonado, said it was $8 per hour w/ 4% commissions of invoices to be paid at the end of tax season. He clearly stated I could expect $2,000 in commissions; reality was less than $200. He stated the mandatory training would be paid (it wasn't despite a signed employment agreement).

He was thrilled over my education: Master in Taxation; he stated everyone including himself would ask me questions and to help out on their returns.

He seemed very upbeat and stated the store was super busy, that we would all be working 40+ hours. Again, this was a lie b/c the store was dead most of the time. He claimed there would be numerous corporate clients and the possibility of accounting work after tax season, we had 3 S-corps none of which had enough transactions to warrant bookkeeper or payroll work.

The office was filthy, but he claimed it would be clean upon opening for tax season. He claimed there would be games and food to keep customers happy and entertained while waiting, again nothing was true. The interview was very low key, but energetic.

Interview Question – He asked about my experience/my own accounting and tax clients; he implied to have them come to Liberty for tax service. I clearly stated they were my clients and I have completed their accounting and returns for numerous years, that I wouldn't be willing to refer them and then receive a percentage of the money; he understood and agreed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, I tried. Instead he offered the claim of $2,000 commission, which wasn't true at all. I accepted the position, based on his claims. Hindsight is 20/20 and I would never recommend anyone to work there or have their taxes completed there b/c the staff doesn't have the qualifications to complete returns properly.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Liberty Tax Service

Worked for Liberty Tax Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Tax Service Tax Preparer interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Tax Service employees and interview candidates.