Lidl

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technician Interview

Technician
Ljubljana (Slovenia)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Lidl in June 2014.

Interview Details – It was a 2 part interview. The first part to introduce myself, to get a feeling of what I'm capable of and how do I respond to their stated expectations. I was successful enough to get invited to the 2nd round of interview which was actually a test of my skills: I had to speak in German, take a written test and organize some files in order by instructions and logic.

Interview Question – Why do you think you fit into this company?   Answer Question

Head of Sales Areas Interview

Head of Sales Areas

Interviewed at Lidl

Interview Details – The hiring process started by phone call by a HR employee. Then we take part of a group case study situation, in which we were supposed to present a solution. The main objective of this case study was to assess our team working skills as well as our reasoning under stressful situations.

Interview Question – Where do you see your career 10 years from now?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I hadn't enough time available at the moment as I was still studying.

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager

Interviewed at Lidl

Interview Details – Group interview followed by competency based panel interview

Interview Question – Group interview was challenging to negotiate.   Answer Question

Management Traineeship (National Level) Interview

Management Traineeship (National Level)
Merelbeke, East Flanders (Belgium)

I applied online - interviewed at Lidl in October 2013.

Interview Details – There are in total of 4 levels of procedures -CV screening, followed by group interview, individual interview, and then an interview with the CFO.

I went with an open mind and curiosity to see myself what the management traineeship entails and what the whole program looks like.

The group interview lasted for about 1:30 minutes, and we were with 4 candidates in total, interviewed by a HR manager and presentation by a management trainee herself, who was coming to an end of her traineeship.

I found the introduction and presentation of the traineeship interesting and promising, and the insight experience shared by a trainee herself gave us a good feel on what to expect in the program.

For the group interview per se, it was split into 3 parts. We began by taking turns to introudce ourselves, and what we knew about LIDL. This we did individually, taking turns to sell ourselves and then share what we knw abt LIDL.

Next, we were given a case to work on, and given that we all came from Finance, economics, law and international relations background - the question was abit more HR-oriented, a neutral topic for all of us. We were asked to evaluate and consider how to solve and go about the problem of employee retention in the company. The interviewer and the trainee sat and observed us while we tried to brainstorm and come up with a structure on how to tackle the issues at hand and how we came up with a solution. In the end we took turns to present the different parts of the answer we came up with. I believe the key element of this part is really teamwork and collaboration of ideas between the participants.

Finally, we were asked to explain why we would like to do this program, and why should they give us the opportunity to proceed to the next stage of the selection process. Again, we took turns to answer the questions, all in front of each other. I made a mistake by talking abit too long, I think its crucial to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible, bearing in mind we are not alone.

Before the session ended, we were allowed to pose questions to them. A tip I read is that, it is always a good idea to ask something to show your keen and genuine interest in the company.

Confidence is definitely key in this case, whilst staying calm, composed and relaxed. However, it is not difficult to do this, as the HR manager is very encouraging and down to earth.

Interview Question – How would you solve the employee retention problem (hyphotetical case).   View Answer

Graduate Area/District Manager Interview

Graduate Area/District Manager
Runcorn, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lidl in August 2013.

Interview Details – I received an an email confirming my interview offer roughly 2 months after my application, I was invited to meet with the regional director at my local distribution centre for a 'group interview'. I asked for further information regarding this interview; the only advice I was offered was to visit my local Lidl store (which, in hindsight, was solid advice). Upon arrival, I was one of 5 candidates, there was a vast age and experience range. The interview lasted almost 2 hours; it was highly informative, with an insightful powerpoint and a strong presentation from the regional director who completely put me at ease. However, I wouldn't call it an interview at all; bar the introduction at the start there was no opportunity whatsoever to sell yourself which I thought was a bit unfair, and I questioned how he could make a decision based on the fact he basically spoke for the 2 hours without giving any of the candidates a chance to speak up. Furthermore, not until the last 10 minutes were we notified as candidates that the Area/District 'Graduate' Manager role, is basically only available to someone with PROVEN experience; he used an example of one lad who had managed 80+ JJB stores. I was not given an offer, however would not have taken it anyway as the role is definitely sold short to you in the initial application process.

Interview Question – Some of the questions were basic but silly, if you've read the history of Lidl and the wikipedia page you'll be fine. Visit a Lidl store, they ask questions on the layout and how they differentiate themselves from other Supermarkets.   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Buyer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lidl.

Interview Details – One job-day where company is presented by CEO. Small 5 min. Face to face with CEO and other director. They claim to be able to determin within 5 sec. if you would be a fit for the company.
If positive, you receive phonecall few days after. One extra meeting with a director and department head.

Interview Question – What are your 5 best and worst characteristics. It's one of the worst HR questions there is in my opinion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, as I was a graduate, and the offer was good, there was no need.

District Manager Interview

District Manager
Sintra (Portugal)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Lidl.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews with 2 senior managers, then a final with Regional Manager.
Questions are straight forward they are purely looking for attitude and whether you can be moulded to the Lidl way.

Interview Question – [Moving an object from the edge of the table to the centre]
"If you ask an employee to do this, and he only does this"
[Move object half way]
"What would you say?" "What has happened and how do you prevent it from happening again?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They give you a standard offer, there is no negotiation.

Duty Manager Interview

Duty Manager

Interview Details – face toi face interview, 1 trial hour

Interview Question – why we should employ you   Answer Question

Store Assistant Interview

Store Assistant
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lidl in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview consist of 1:1 meeting with district manager. First ,he talked about whole company and presented overview of duties. Then we went through my CV, my expectations , skills , personality etc.

The manager was polite and calm which caused nice and calm atmosphere. Interview finished and the manager told that they still have to review couple people and then they will contact either if I got the place or I didn't.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself in LIDL'S worker in the future. Do you think about this job seriously?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Only thing you can negotiate is length of contract and working hours.

Store Assistant Interview

Store Assistant

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Lidl in February 2008.

Interview Details – Just basically went in for a chat and was told I was starting in the next few days. I think we walked around the store and spoke to a couple of employees, but not for my benefit just for the manager to see that the staff were doing as they were supposed to.

Interview Question – there weren't any tough or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lidl

Worked for Lidl? Contribute to the Community!