Life Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.8

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Life Technologies (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through the Thermo Fisher internship portal. Sent in my resume and cover letter, and later someone contacted me through email saying they were interested. So we scheduled a phone interview for a couple weeks later. The interview started with him asking me to describe myself, my interest in the position, etc. Then, he asked about my specific skills, and if I knew how to use certain programs, do certain things. This was also around when he asked about my research experience and my projects that I did, and I described the idea, what I did and accomplished, results, significance. Lastly, it moved onto personal qualities that I had, if I could work independently, and if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• What were some problems you ran into during your research, and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question

Associate Manufacturing Technician Interview

Interview

First was a phone interview, then an in person one. The phone interview is a quick screening very simple. The in person interview was a four person interview with HR for 15 minutes and three supervisors, managers, or team leaders for 30 minutes each. They leave a lot of room for you to ask questions about the job, and they expect to see you have questions showing your interest in the position. Also, they do offer you something to drink and I would take it because you will be there for a decent amount of time.

Interview Questions

• Having to pick three pros and cons of yourself or having to explain to someone how to remove and put on a shoe in detail with your eyes closed and them having no knowledge.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Life Technologies (South San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Responded to a job posting on LinkedIn. Within about a week I was contacted by a recruiter who wanted to schedule a preliminary phone screen. After speaking with the recruiter I was scheduled with a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview went well and was then scheduled for an onsite interview with the hiring team consisting of four director level staff, the hiring manager's boss and then finally the hiring manager. The questions were a mix of situational and behavioral questions such as, "What would you do if a member of your project would not do what you assigned them to do? or "Tell me about the most difficult project that you had to manage? Interview scheduled had to get re-arranged because of a schedule conflict with one of the interviewers. During interview with that particular interviewer it was noticeable that she did not read my resume. She began by asking me to review my entire work history even jobs not relevant to the position for which I was interviewing (Let me state that I was interviewing for a program manager job to take new products from concept to production). She then asked me if I had ever done wet chemistry. I said yes in high school and as an undergraduate engineering student. So, she then asked me what type of pipettes I have used. Essentially, questions irrelevant to the job. Interviewer seemed to be filling time since she didn't have any background in project/program management. Aside from that interviewer the rest of the interviews went well and was led to believe that since I was given an onsite interview that I was one of the final candidates for the job. In fact, the hiring manager mentioned that they would be making a decision at the end of the week. However, I should have been a little suspicious when I noticed two days before the onsite interview that the job was re-posted online. The following week when I followed up with the HR recruiter I was told that because of the volume of responses they received they were moving forward with additional candidates. Company seems to be looking for the "pie in the sky" candidate. In summary, nice facilities, the hiring manager seemed good and the the company is one of the top companies in the industry, however, this whole processes was a waste of time and particularly a vacation day for the onsite interview.

Scientist II Interview

Interview

phone interview for contractors

Manufacturing Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Life Technologies.

Interview

I was hired as a contract worker for Life Tech (Thermo Fisher) by one of their corporate staffing firms. I first submitted my resume to the staffing agency directly. Then, a recruiter from the agency called me and spoke to me about the position and said I sounded like a good fit if I was still interested. I said yes, so she said she will submit my resume to the manager at Life Tech. About a week later, I got a call from the manager at Life Tech and did a phone interview that lasted roughly 25 minutes. Then, about a week later, I was offered the position through the staffing firm.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Life Technologies, and keeping this in mind, what do you think your position is responsible for contributing to the company, and in regards to your position, what is the biggest strength and weakness you would bring to this position as well as the company as a whole?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay was set and you could take it or leave it

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Life Technologies (Carlsbad, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Overall a very professional and typical interview process. I was initially contacted by HR, then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. They flew me out for the interview and the travel arrangements were nice. The interview was five 30 minute 1:1's with the hiring manager, analysts, HR, and the senior director of the group. They asked some technical questions but mostly behavioral questions, nothing too crazy and everyone was very nice. They also kept in contact with me after the interview and were quick to extend an offer. Some negotiation is allowed, but may be in the form of hiring bonuses or increased bonus target %, rather than salary raises. After I accepted the role, they ran a background check and also made me go into a lab for a drug test which was surprising and unprofessional in my opinion. I had never had to take a drug test before at any of the prior companies I had worked at (Fortune 100, west coast). Silly and a waste of money in my opinion especially for professional/office positions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Life Technologies.

Interview

I received an email from one of the campus recruiters asking if I was still interested in an internship position. I responded that I was and she responded that I would be contacted by a second individual to schedule an interview. Nothing happened for a few days, then I was contacted by the first recruiter telling me that the hiring manager had decided to move forward with an alternate candidate before I even managed to schedule an interview.

IT QA Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Life Technologies in March 2014.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter at a school job fair and left my resume with her. Got an email later from a university recruiter telling me to apply online and received an email a week later scheduling in on-site interview. Interview was with three interviewers with questions about experience in CS, testing, and work ethics to see how well you would fit in with the team.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult or unexpected. I was surprised to have been asked no technical questions though.   Answer Question

Associate Manufacturing Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Life Technologies (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

I was on a tour with 5 others. Got offered job because I asked good questions about the manufacturing process.

Negotiation

NA

R&D Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Life Technologies.

Interview

I met the recruiter for Life Technologies at my university at a job fair. I showed them my resume and they seemed interested and actually interviewed me on the spot which is surprising for a job fair. The recruiter was very nice and talked a lot about the environment at Life Technologies and said that it was divided up into little sections so it felt a lot like a family. The interview was short and unofficial. Though they had come to a college campus, they were not looking for too many entry level engineers interested in hardware.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of questions about specifics in software language. They use a lot of java and my experience with java is not as good as I thought it was.   Answer Question