Life Technologies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Life Technologies in August 2013.

Interview Details – The role was for a Product Manager for software systems for a profitable Product Line. I was contacted by recruiter after a employee referral.

First round of interview was with Hiring Manager: It went really well - The HM was through in self introductions, company, product line, expectations from Product Manager and provided me an opportunity to describe relevant experiences. I was asked about mature product management, hurdle rates for projects and patiently answered my questions as well.

I was then invited for an onsite interview:
The first part of interview was a 1 Hour PPT - 5 people were in the room and 2 people dialed in. I thought PPT went well - audience were engaged, they had great questions but there was no participation from folks on the phone

Then I had an interview with a Project Manager - that was more of a peer level interview - good discussion on past projects etc

This was followed by a lunch interview with Hiring manager's boss - it was good discussion covering lots of topics about my past experience, career course, education - vision for company etc.

Then I interviewed with another Director that worked closely with the team - the interviewer was cordial and touched on expectations for the role.

This was followed by 3 1:1's with Product Managers with varied experiences and expertise.

Finally, I interviewed with the Hiring Manager who asked me about my thoughts on PPT. He then asked me about previous performance reviews, 3-5 year plan. When asked for feedback he mentioned that they were looking for a PM that can work extremely close with their customer base.

After a week I got call from the recruiter explaining that they would pass on me for the opportunity. They wanted someone with more senior experience and more in the domain

Interview Question – Areas of Improvement - from Previous Performance Review   Answer Question

Worked for Life Technologies? Contribute to the Community!