Life Time Fitness Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2014
Updated Oct 24, 2014

2.4

Lifeguard Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

I had a phone interview which was super duper duper easy and then I had a group interview with two other peeps and our future boss. That was also super duper duper easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just make sure you brag about yourself and all will be good.

Kids Activities Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

It was pretty easy. They asked how you handle kids and customer service. They called me after submitting my application. I went to an interview the following day to meet with the department head. They then had me meet with the Club Manager.

I didn't negotiate.

Member Services Team Member Interview

I've been on both sides of the interview process, so I know that it can take a long time to get the initial reach out, since they hire on a revolving as-neeeded basis. The clubs I worked at were very picky about the candidates that they contacted, so make sure your application isn't just a churn-and-burn one that you've sent out to a million different places. Research the company, and only apply if you are serious about customer service, not just some summer job that you'll be at for 3 months. Plan to have actual experiences ready for the interview, not just "I would" or "I think" scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for LTF? (Really think about this and answer truthfully!)   Answer Question
    The pay scale has some flexibility, but not much.

Personal Trainer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

The true process of becoming a trainer at LTF is 3-way process. First you must get an interview which, if you have a clean record with a background in fitness, is not all that difficult. You meet with each of the 3 or 4 department heads and discuss your experience, background, etc (it's a piece of cake if you have any sense or present yourself reasonably well).

The next step is going through the week-long certification process wherever it's being held (I must admit that it's sort of nice, they give you a $500 stipend for food and pay for your hotel and gas expenses for the week). You sit with new hires from around the region and learn the products, go through the sales process, learn the commission structure, take group classes together, etc.

The final step in the process is the only difficult part and that is applying this to the gym where you work: Setting up tasting booths, prospecting new leads off the gym, setting up your schedule and book of business. Even though most people wouldn't consider this a formal part of hiring, there is definitely a sink-or-swim period when first hired and a very high turnover rate among new trainers who think they're going to be given a great book of business out of the gate. If you fight like a gazelle, you have a chance to make some real money but there are extremely long hours involved (many of which you're not actually working but sitting in an empty gym throughout your 7 hour shift) and you have to do alot of the work on your own. If I had to guess, I would say 1 or 10 trainers at LTF lasts more than 3 years or steps into a management role. Everyone else comes to their senses and realizes what a waste of time it is to expect things from higher up's who are mainly out for themselves.

Interview Questions
    • How much time are you willing to spend generating your own training leads? Are you willing to sell exactly what you're told when you're told to sell it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It's 100% commission job and you create your own leads completely.

LifeSpa Department Head Interview

They will ask you questions in the format tell me about a time when.... I was asked to memorize the he mission and vision statement. I had 2 phone interviews and in person interview with the general manager.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have a team member that felt they deserved to be paid more money and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Aquatics Lifeguard Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

I was hired without an interview, but then required to go to an interview as a procedural safeguard. The interview was held with another interviewee who I did not know would be there. In essence, we were interviewing for the same position and shared our answers one after the other. I also had to write out the company goals and values word for word. I interviewed for another position with this company and that time it was a group interview with ten people, again with no forewarning.

Interview Questions
    There is little negotiation with these entry level positions. The hours are made by the hiring staff and often they forget if you ask for certain times of day or days of the week off. Negotiation is better dealt with with department supervisors.

SPA Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Life Time Fitness in September 2014.

Sent resume and was called by the manager. They asked questions about my past leadership and also some personal questions about how I maintained a healthly Life style. Was told they would choose final canidiates in the upcoming week. I'm awaiting a call.

Life SPA Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Life Time Fitness in September 2014.

I was first given a call asking when I could set up the interview date. I told he when I could meet and she agreed. I went in and she had me wait 10 minutes before sitting me down in the very public waiting area. She pulled out a packet which is most likely their interview question packet. She asked me different questions pertaining to my personal to professional life.
    It went well. She handed me a paper with the company mission statement on it. She asked if I could come back later in the week for another interview with the GM. I agreed and she told me to memorize the mission statement, because the GM was very serious about it.

Later that week I went in for my interview with the GM. I recited the mission statement, then he asked for the company values. I was very confused and it turned out the manager forgot to also give me the company values to memorize. He said it was fine and I would have plenty of time to learn it. He then went over the values and I mentioned my past work experience that dealt with each value. He seemed very impressed and we shook hands and I left. I got a call about a week later saying I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any difficult questions everything seemed very general of an interview process.   Answer Question
    Honestly my manager forgot to tell me what I was being paid until my first day. She didn't even ask if that was acceptable.

Member Engagement Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Submitted application online, MEM (Member Engagement Manager) set up appointment to meet within a couple of days, met with her and it was pretty basic (they'll basically take anyone willing to cold call and work 70+ hours per week - even without sales experience). After that I interviewed with the GM of the club, same interview... Life Time is full of robots so they just read off of a sheet that corporate gives them and they rate whether or not you filled in all of their little boxes. Basically all you have to do (and they'll tell you this) is give them a specific incidence or example of whatever question they want answered, what happened, what you did, and what the outcome was. After that you'll meet with the Regional, same interview again... and you're done. All of this should take about a week or two. If you can pretend to be an aggressive drone you'll be fine. They actually tell their sales people to drill the person in front of them until they get pissed enough to walk away so get ready for that.

It's 100% commission and you'll work more than 70 hours per week and average about $11 an hour if you're good at what you do... Look elsewhere, there's much better out there; don't settle on this.

Run Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrison, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrison, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Met with the Westchester NY Running club at the facility to work out and meet the member. Had a very positive experience working with them, and with meeting the predecessor in the Coordinator position, who was leaving due to personal issues. My conversation with her, and the regional coordinator were pleasant and productive. This lead to a one-on-one meeting with the Senior General Manager at the Westchester facility, who seemed more concerned with hiring someone in line with corporate philosophy than a dedicated and experienced fitness person who would grow and develop the position. The interview was fairly short, and I left with the impression that she was looking for something different than a person to actually coordinate their program. I felt as if she was principally concerned with finding a "company person."

Interview Questions
    • I didn't experience any questions as particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question