Life Time Fitness

Relevance Date Difficulty

LifeSpa Department Head Interview

LifeSpa Department Head
Katy, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in September 2012.

Interview Details – In a nutshell, this company will waste your time and energy.. I had six separate interviews with seven individuals within a span of eight days for a lower level management position. Each interview went well (allbeit, it felt like an exercise in futility at the time) and I was passed up the chain to the next individual all the way up to the top corporate individual. Unfortunately, each individual at each interview asked the same mundane "Tell me about a time when...." question to the point that I began to wonder if A.) Any of these individuals were even literate, as I had answered these same questions repeatedly previously, and am aware that notes were taken and B.) What kind of company culture is this that every individual is afraid to take responsibility for a simple lower level hire? Additionally, there was open disdain for the lower level employees that was not only palpable, but expressed uniformly throughout the interview process to the point that it is obviously part of the company culture. By the time it was all said and done, I felt like I was dodging a big bullet if I were not to be asked to join this organization, and if I were to be asked I would be a fool to accept it.. By the way, I never heard from them after the last interview. After being told during the last interview that I would hear from them within the next week regarding whether or not they would be making an offer of employment, ultimately no one bothered to let me know the outcome. Left to assume that I was not going to receive an invitation, I emailed twice inquiring about the outcome of their decision and regarding receiving any possible feedback from the interview process. Alas, NO reply.

Interview Question – 1.)Being asked the same scripted "Tell me about a time when..." questions at every interview.
2.) Being pressed for specific company financial figures from my previous employer after it was made clear that I was under a non-disclosure agreement with that employer and would not be comfortable violating that agreement.
  Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in July 2012.

Interview Details – Great experience. Very friendly and comfortable. The process was a little different, because the use of an actual offer letter is new to me. The HR staff members that I worked with before my interview and after I was hired were always helpful.

Interview Question – During my second interview, i was surpised with actual questions geared towards my personal life. Questions that were not the standard tell us about yourself types. The questions were sincere of true interest in me as an individual.   View Answer

Personal Trainer Interview

Personal Trainer
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in December 2012.

Interview Details – not a good management, interview system, company. This company called me for an interview and asked way too many questions. Before bringing me in for a second interview the manager asked me to memorize their vision and mission statements.. 2 long, poem like corporate philosophies thatbwere an absolute waste of my time and thought. The second interview was much like the phine interview in that. there were just too many stupid opinionated questions asked. worst of all, I had been interviewing with other employers and had another interview on Monday. The manager, I believe Sherry, had me memorize the statements and cancel my appointments/schedule with the other potential employer .. of course giving me the impression I would be hired... Then rejected me.

Interview Question – lots of stupid, opinionated questions.   Answer Question

Member Services Interview

Member Services
Beachwood, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in August 2010.

Interview Details – All applications have to be submitted online, department heads at my location didn't bother with paper resumes
First interview was the phone interview
Second interview was with the Department Head
Third interview was with the General manager and others who had applied for the position
They will offer you the job before they do the background check, so you have to wait for that before you actually have the job

Interview Question – All questions were basic, there were no unexpected or difficult questions to answer
You do have to know their mission statement in order to write it down.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, one girl tried and they retracted their offer to hire her

Life Cafe Team Member Interview

Life Cafe Team Member
Flower Mound, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in January 2012.

Interview Details – This company requires individuals to apply online ONLY. You fill out a long questionare along with giving your work history and other general resume info. A cover letter is suggested and when you finish jumping through those hoops, ...well you get to wait. You recieve a confirmation email which tells you the company will contact you IF they are interested. This could be days, weeks, or even months for some. Then, should you recieve a call you first will go through a phone interview. The professionalism of this interview is entirely left to how competent the manager on the other end is (which in most cases is not very good). If they still like you after this you will be scheduled for a one on one interview with the manager of the selected department and AGAIN this could be a matter of days or weeks. The one on one interview involves questions regarding your personal knowledge of the company and "why" you desire to work there. Your education and experience may be glanced at but is not really of much importance as will be evident by the blatent push that you must be willing to CONFORM to the way of the company. After the one on one, you will be scheduled for a third interview with the location's general manager who will verbally test you on the mission and vision of the company placing a large value on your ability to memorize it and spit it out at any given time. Should the manager like you too he will send your information through for a background check. You will then recieve an email from the agency conducting the background check and you will have to complete a lengthy questionaire. If all comes out good and clean the manager is then supposed to schedule you for a 3-4 day paid trainning at a specified LTF location. (This rarely happens as the LTF turnover rate is SO HIGH they struggle to maintain a trainning facility) Only AFTER completing and passing the trainning are you then placed on the schedule to begin work. The whole process for me took about 30 days.

Interview Question – If you come to find that corporate is difficult to work with/for, how will you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was rather informal and really little to no wiggle room given for negotiation. The best I was given was a base rate and a "promise" of promotion (which hasn't gone through!). I suggest anyone offered a position strongly consider how much they value their sanity and health beacause at this "healthy way of life company" you, as an employee, are not important. You will be over worked, under paid, and HIGHLY under appreciated.

Swim Instructor Interview

Swim Instructor
Saint Louis Park, MN

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in February 2011.

Interview Details – I began the application online but did not complete it. The next morning I got a call from the department director and was asked about my experience and was asked to come in for an interview even though I didn't officially apply for the position. The department director was 20 minutes late for the interview. I was asked a few questions about the company's values and a few about my experience with swimming and children. The interviewer left and 10 minutes later brought out the general manager to interview me. I was asked questions about myself, which the GM just repeated back to me. It was just strange. Neither interviewer made eye contact or seemed to care about bringing me on as an employee. They just want to make sure you have a pulse, can speak English, and aren't crazy.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Pay is determined by the amount of experience you have based on their point system and training hours are minimum wage.

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Summer Camp Counselor
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Interview Details – I interviewed at two different Life Times for this same position and both had the same questions and were extremely disorganized. At the first one I went to, the manager who was supposed to interview me forgot about the interview and wasn't at the club so I was interviewed by another guy who wasn't the one doing the hiring. He read questions off of a piece of paper and wrote down what I said for the manager to read. When I asked questions regarding more details on the position I was interviewing for he was not able to give very clear answers. None of the questions were horribly difficult. The second Life Time I interviewed at was just as disorganized. The department head who was supposed to interview me had to fill in in the child center so our interview took place sitting on the floor in the child center. I had to wait while she changed a diaper. When she finally started the interview and asked the first question I had to answer over screaming children and she seemed like she wasn't listening. It was very distracting. After the first question she asked if she could call me later that night to finish the interview so she could give me her full attention. I agreed, but she ended up not calling until a week later and then offered me the job without really interviewing me. She neglected to tell me until after I accepted her offer that I still had to interview with the manager before I officially had the job. The interview with the manager went much smoother and was more organized. None of the questions were too weird or difficult. The manager I interviewed with was actually leaving that position for a different one shorty after this interview, so he ended up not even being my boss for the summer. I was offered the second interview at the first Life Time I interviewed at but turned it down, because I was already offered the job at the other Life Time. It is important to know that you are expected to know and recite Life Time's mission and vision statements at the interview with the manager. The lady who interviewed me in the child center neglected to tell this to me, but luckily the guy who interviewed me at the first Life Time did tell me.

Interview Question – I don't remember many of the questions except for one that was "describe a time when you were interrupted during work and had to stop and attend to something else."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not negotiation for this job as it was a seasonal hourly wage job.

Group Fitness Instructor Interview

Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in November 2008.

Interview Details – There was an online application. After the online application, I received an email for a group audition. There were about 8 of us at the audition. The audition atmosphere was friendly. We each got to teach our class for about 5 minutes. The following week, I got a call for an inerview and possibly hiring. I was hired after the interview. I will say, it all went very smoothly. I must say, that I had my national fitness certifications in place before I applied - AFAA, ACE, RYT and CPR.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation, as I wanted to teach there, so I accpted whatever was offered.

Facility Operations Department Head Interview

Canton, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in August 2012.

Interview Details – Have to apply online , There is a 3 interview process
1st is a phone interview with the recruiter . Then if you pass that it's on to the General Manager of the Club . If you pass that then its another phone interview with Natonal Facility Ops . From the Corp office . Not once do they mention salary ranges !

Interview Question – None ! Basic behavior questions and situation questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There was no salary negotiating , Was told that they start. All people at the same range . The low end , regardless of experience or skills and ability that you bring to the table . But they expect you to work 50 to 60 hours per week !

Dietitian Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Life Time Fitness in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initially contacted and interviewed with head trainer department head. This interview was not long and felt like just a screening process to make sure I did not make up my resume. The next step was with a fellow RD who also seemingly wanted to make sure I was really an RD. The next step was with the regional RD

Interview Question – 1) Tell me about one of your success stories