Bloomberg L.P.
3.2 of 5 1,031 reviews
www.bloomberg.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Question

I interviewed in Pittsburgh, PA and was asked:
"Linked list memory management: deleting a node from the middle of a list was easy. Next question - how to delete a node from the end of a list. Was too tired to think and realize this was a trick question."
Tags: technical
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Review - one of 1,609 Bloomberg L.P. Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

votes
You can't, since the pointer already points to null. No way around it.
- Interview Candidate on Mar 13, 2013 Flag Response
of 1
Disagree,

Instead of 1 use 2 pointers, having pointer 1 one step ahead of pointer 2, once pointer 1 points to NULL, use pointer 2 to remove the last node.
- Tinus on Mar 30, 2013 Flag Response
votes
It depends. on how the link-list is implemented.
- Xiaoge Su on Jul 15, 2013 Flag Response
votes
check node->next->next equals to null or not, then can just update node->next = null
- Sashi on Oct 15, 2013 Flag Response
votes
I guess this question makes sense only when we don't know the Head node !
- Sachin on Dec 2, 2013 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.