LinkedIn

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Scientist

I applied through college or university and interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview Details – I had 3 phone interviews with Linkedin data scientists. Everyone I spoke to was very bright, thoughtful and polite and made a great impression. On the first two calls I was asked how I would solve some of the problems Linkedin worked on (ex: people you may know) and on the third call I had a more technical coding interview. However I didn't have a machine learning background at the time, so they did not give me an offer but encouraged me to e-apply after I had taken some of the machine learning classes I was planning to take the next semester. Considering how little machine learning I knew at the time it's a wonder they even gave me a first interview, let alone 3.

Interview Question – There was a great algorithms question they asked, I don't remember it well anywhere near well enough to repeat unfortunately.   Answer Question

Data Scientist

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview Details – There should be two rounds of phone interviews and one on-site interview. I applied for the position in LinkedIn career page. A recruiter contacted me the next day and scheduled my first phone screen. After the first phone screen, the recruiter contacted me regarding the next round of the phone screen.

Interview Question – I passed the first phone screen (basic data mining questions, including the concepts of classification and clustering; and a simple dp question which is quite similar to "Climbing Stairs"), and failed the second one right after I came back from another state (basic nlp questions, like named entity extraction, and basic data mining questions, like SVM, naive bayes; and a sampling question which is quite similar to Reservoir sampling).   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in April 2012.

Interview Details – I went through a process of 4 Phone Interviews. The first was from a recruiter and was pretty straightforward. The others were much more difficult, but all of the interviewers were cordial and professional. They were prompt about letting me know when I was eliminated from consideration, which I appreciated, though the process seemed to drag out longer than it should have.

Interview Question – I don't recall exactly, but they asked about how I would approach several scenarios. This would be very difficult to answer well if you have not worked at a similar company and know what sorts of data are available to answer the question.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview Details – ask questions about sql and data mining

Interview Question – questions are quite standard.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter. Two phone interviews were arranged. The first interviewer asked some basic questions about my resume and then we went into the technical questions. Two questions were asked, both about searching in sorted arrays of numbers. The second interview was almost identical, except that the question was more about algorithm design, which required general problem solving skill.

Interview Question – Questions are not difficult. It is important to review basic algorithm design and know how to talk through the interview, and know when to ask for help.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in January 2012.

Interview Details – The bad:

1) they NEVER reimburse my travel expense! the person in charge of reimbursement never reply and the HR kicks the ball around.

2) well, the HR. the LinkedIn HR told me to show up at 10:00AM, and I was told at the front desk to start interviewing at 12:30PM! And here's nobody there to have lunch with me! So I thought of calling my old friends at Google next door and completely forget about the company for their lack of professionalism, since I already got an attractive offer from my other interview in the city pinned by a huge needle from the space.

Fortunately another HR showed up. Then I spent 2 hours in the morning hanging out at a nearby starbucks (of course I paid for the coffee that they never reimburse, and i witnessed there how starbucks interview prospective coffee staff) before we had some mediocre indian food onsite.

The nightmare hasn't stopped. the HR tried to persuade me into accepting the offer right after the interview like a (Toyota) car dealer without even giving me a concrete number. It was around 6 in the evening. I was hungry because of the just-so-so indian food. I was really too tired after visiting two west coast cities from the east coast and having two extensive interviews in 3 days. And she started to say I appear to have the passion for the company ... well ... that lack of consideration really ruined the image of the professional social network in my mind.

The good that I have to acknowledge:

1) interesting (would-be) co-workers. Guess you won't miss Daniel if you run into the data scientist position. I highly recommend his blog (http://thenoisychannel.com/2011/08/08/retiring-a-great-interview-problem/).

2) Location. Well, that's a double sword since the campus site is getting surrounded by Google. But I do feel a very passionate hacker culture in the bay area.

3) the data problems at the company is highly unformulated. I guess there's plenty interesting things to exercise your ninja skills.

Other things to notice:

1) they didn't seem to care much about what you did if you have a non-computer science PhD. Guess you'll have to think over that ... it's a double sword on your career.

2) where will the company go? It's a sure thing that LinkedIn will never gain such traction as facebook. I do feel that the headhunter activities have declined a lot recently. While companies embrace for twitter and facebook as primary engaging channel, where will the channel that only talks about professional interaction go?

Interview Questions

Mountain View, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at LinkedIn in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by linkedin recruiter for data scientist position for which my background does not at all match. Similarly I had interview with Linkedin in exact same way for some front end technologies. It is ridiculous to know the company with largest professional network can not find right people for right jobs. Linkedin recruiters are very rude even after telling them my background is different and I want to pursue different role. They will make you give an interview for some random position in their mind for you and do not allow you to interview for positions for which you are a good match.

Interview Question – design recommendation engine for jobs   Answer Question

Data Scientist

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviewers did this interview for me, starting with very brief introduction of their group (as simple as just tell you the name) and asked a technical question and then open ended question (or to say the question that they don't even know).

When the turn for my question, they just super quickly speak none sense abstract rubbish and hanged as the second they finished.

Plus, their hr girls are like just got dumped by her boyfriend every time they called and they just miss schedule, very NOT professional.

Seems that LinkedIn doesn't know what to do now, just need the workers to finish codings for little things.

Interview Question – find out k most frequent numbers from incoming stream of numbers one the fly.   View Answers (3)

Data Scientist

The process took 2 months - interviewed at LinkedIn in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very slow process. Tthe recruiter took very long to get in touch. Once she did, things moved faster. I had a phone interview with a Principal Scientist who sounded a bit shaky. Overall, average difficulty level. Heard from them after repeated emails that they decided not to proceed with my application.

Interview Question – A technical statistics question   Answer Question

Data Scientist

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in July 2011.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews with data science group. One was more design questions, machine learning background check etc. The second interview was strictly coding, algorithms and stuff.

Interview Questions

• Implement pow function.   Answer Question
  • Segment a long string into a set of valid words using a dictionary. Return false if the string cannot be segmented. What is the complexity of your solution?   View Answers (2)

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!