LinkedIn

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and was later referred by a friend who had gotten an internship offer earlier in the academic year. I first had a phone screen with the recruiter, who then matched me with a team that was tailored to my interests/skills/experiences. I then had a 1-hour technical phone interview with one of the staff software engineers on the team, and was notified of the feedback that night. I was then scheduled for a second technical phone interview that would occur a few days later, which ended up being much more difficult than the first. I then had a third interview, which was mostly informational, with the engineering manager of the team. I got to ask questions about the types of projects the team worked on, the types of projects planned for interns, and the overall environment and culture. Overall, the entire process was very transparent and organized: you know who you are interviewing with (given a link to the interviewer's LinkedIn profile before each interview), and the recruiter was available to answer questions at any point in the process. They were also able to expedite the process for me since I had other competing offers.

Interview Question – Very detailed questions on data structures and algorithms. Certain questions involved designing new data structures and implementing the corresponding interface functions (i.e., insertion, deletion, etc.) from scratch.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; offer was very competitive.

Very Difficult Interview

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in July 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter was very competent, unfortunately, can't say the same about the senior manager that interviewed. The manager deliberately asked questions that cannot be answered correctly, instead of to-the-point questions that can be answered.

Interview Question – Random, bound-to-fail questions were asked to throw off the person on the other end.   View Answer

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Recruitment Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in June 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen followed by phone interview by hiring manager. Pretty basic behavioral questions. Presentation- panel method - which they prepare you for very well and the experience was pretty painless. Questions are not too tough, so its all about how in depth you go on the answers. Felt like the interview went well, but did not get an offer. Very laid back, but yet high energy culture.

Interview Question – Panel Presentation - Mock Client simulation. They give you all the info but make sure you ask questions of clarification.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Campaign Manager Interview

Campaign Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in June 2014.

Interview Details – 1. The hiring manager called, asked a few questions about my skills and told me she will get back to me about coming in for interview.
2. Hiring manager sent me an email with an easy homework assignment about a campaign email and a website page.
3. Created a presentation, went in for an interview. Met with 2 people separately from different departments, 30 minutes each, and the last interview was with the hiring manager and one of her associates. Everyone seemed great and interested except for the hiring manager. She was very dry and had no sense of humor.
4. Found out this position had been posted on and off since November of 2013 and I applied in May and interviewed in June 2014.

The hiring manager's personality did not really fit in with the rest of the LinkedIn folks who were very friendly and outgoing. Even if I had got an offer I would have most likely declined because I did not get a good vibe from the hiring manager when I met met her during the interview. She did not smile even once. Bad day, maybe?

Interview Question – Questions were mostly around the homework assignment. Very easy. Hiring manager's final question. What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Site Reliability Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in July 2014.

Interview Details – The initial communications were through a recruiter that works for LinkedIn. They contacted me about the job offer and we moved on to interviews.

I interviewed with an engineer who did a very high-level asking of questions related to web architecture and how I would go about scaling X or Y. It was not very technical, although you were encouraged to speak your mind about technical topics.

Based on the feedback received by that interview we moved on the another phone interview that was a programming interview. You were allowed to pick a language (I picked python) and they asked you 4 questions.

Each question built on the other questions and it was a timed interview (60 minutes). The questions you were asked were taken straight out of CS 101 text books; given input, if input is divisible by 2 do X, if divisible by 6 do Y, if divisible by both do Z, else print something.

Interestingly, because I haven't done any of these "simple" coding problems for upwards of 10 years, I found this portion of the interview the most difficult. For me it was difficult because these questions just are not what you come across in the real world. The majority of the code things I do today involve fixing bugs here and there and monkey patching code to make it work. Also, you typically have some context and foresight into a problem before you start coding. Being dropped a simple 1 + 2 question is nothing you'd ever encounter working in the real world; it's all academic as far as I'm concerned.

I felt like I failed the programming interview, but surprisingly, I got a call back saying they wanted to do an on-site interview.

They flew me out to Mountain View and I spent a full day with a number of their engineers going through what they called "modules". This is where it got interesting.

I took special care to look at their culture. I noticed that the building is very quiet, there is not a lot of personal "schwag" hanging around people's areas. Not a lot of smiling engineers...curious.

The modules included you having semi-technical one-on-one interviews with an engineer. There were some engineers that were VERY technical and weren't much interested in the chitchat that can happen where you talk about what you might currently be working on.

The easiest module was the "lunch" module where you ...well...ate lunch, haha. I was expecting this to be a group thing though and instead it was just a you + 1 engineer who ate at the cafeteria. The engineer was the only one that I really "liked" after meeting them all, but still it was a one-to-one interaction. I was really hoping for a group effort.

Throughout the WHOLE on-site interview process I got the sinking feeling that individuality trumps groups at LinkedIn. This bums me out because I currently operate in a fairly strong group position and if I am moving to a new position where I am more isolated, I really don't want that.

Also, its so quiet. Creepy quiet. Like none of the engineers talk to each other. My current position there is ALWAYS something going on and a lot more background noise to remind you that "you're around people". I didn't get that feeling from LinkedIn.

After the interview I just went back and cooled off in the hotel before my flight left the next day. Because of the 2 hour time difference, it was a good idea to plan for staying 3-ish days; 1 to get there, 1 to interview and 1 to leave.

Interview Questions

• There were two and they both happened during the live-debugging portion of the interview.

All of the live debugging questions revolved around a simple website that had something broken in it. You were to fix the brokenness to be able to move on to the next page. In total there were 4 questions, each getting progressively more difficult to debug.

The first question was a simple permissions problem on a file being requested by the client. The ownership of the file (a blank text file) was too restrictive, so it was raising an error. You could verify this in the apache web logs.

The second error was due to a permission problem too, however this time the file was hidden in a sub directory of the main web site. You could only determine this by looking at the apache configuration file to see that the shtml file was located somewhere else. After that, change the permissions to fix.

The third was a head scratcher. The filename in question was raising a 500 error and showing urlencoded characters in the filename in the web log. Looking at the name of the file on disk though, showed nothing out of the ordinary.

It turns out that the unicode representations for the characters in the file name are printed in the terminal as english ascii characters. The only way you can tell that this is the case is to open the file and do a search for the filename itself and see if it matches. For example, if the correct filename is called "challenge1.shtml" you can search for that exact string but NOT find the unicode version of it.

Once you find the incorrect file name, delete it and type the correct file name (in this case "challenge3.shtml" into the file and the page works.

The final question was a segfault occurring in apache. It resulted in no information being returned to the client. You could see this occurring in the apache web logs as well as the Chrome tools.

The apache web logs noted that a core file was dumped. This challenge required that you know a little bit about gdb and C programming. Basically, you need to run the core dump through gdb.

gdb /path/to/apache /path/to/core/dump

It will spew out a lot of stuff. In particular, it mentions that there is something happening in an apache module; mod_rewrite or something...it doesnt really matter.

The output also points to the C source file for that module which is, conveniently on disk. Open that file in vi and jump to the line number mentioned in the gdb output (line 1861 or something). There you will see that if the filename matches challenge4.shtml to SIGSEGV; there's your smoke gun.

They dont ask you to fix the final challenge, only to explain what the strstr is doing. The error in question basically looks like this

if (strstr($r->filename, "challenge4.shtml") != NULL) {
        SIGSEGV
    }

Just point out to them that, yeah, it's segfaulting when I ask for that file.
      View Answer
  • There was a paper presented to you with a number of nagios alerts and you had to rate them in the order you would approach fixing them.

For example, one of them was a production host being 100% offline.

Another was an environment alert about an entire cab that was overheating. Another was the tablet vip being down, another was a load average for the main website being really high.

There were also a number of them that were QPS (queries per sec) related and included several security related alerts like XSS QPS and failed logins QPS
      View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at LinkedIn in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, got call from Recuiter and the process was very professional and quick. The hiring manager and HR and Recruiter worked well to accommodate any time restrictions i had. Had initial phone screen with one of the engineers. Used collabedit for the interview/tech phone screen. Questions asked were fairly simple. Check if a String contains a number or not. Other was a backtracking/recursion basic CS question. Also some basic Java questions.

Interview Question – Check if a String contains a number or not   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview Details – Applied on Company website. Contacted by HR, scheduled for technical screen. Online technical screen using a collaborative editing tool. Second technical screen by phone, no on line editing.

Scheduled for 5 hour on site. senior manager for position and I had short chat about company culture, then got lunch. Then 4 sets of technical interviews with one or two people asking me questions.

Culture was very exciting to me - the people seemed very enthusiastic about the company and that they would be solving interesting problems that would make a difference in people's lives.

Interview Question – The difficult portion was due to poor time management - I didn't know I was going to be asked to do two whiteboard coding problems and the interviewers had asked me to talk about successes in my career. So 40 minutes of a 60 minute session were taken up before they got to what was important. My advice is to ask interviewers politely what they need to cover in their time.   Answer Question

Advertising Operations Interview

Advertising Operations

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at LinkedIn in May 2013.

Interview Details – I wasn't actively looking for a summer internship because I was working on a startup, but I got an email on LinkedIn from a recruiter and did a 30-minute interview by phone. Really nice recruiter and the position was enticing, but I wasn't really considering giving up on my venture.

Interview Question – Mostly personality-related questions like "What is the biggest challenge you've overcome?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was already working on a startup but wanted to learn more about the position.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview Details – Got contact from linkedin. One phone interview. I am more backend developer, but they are expect more frontend developer. So field doesn't match. didn't go further.
Two interviewers, they were asking all general js and css, html question. Nothing too hard, some of questions are out of my knowledge.

Recruiter called me to give me feedbacks, this is every nice.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. Since it's first phone interview, they all general question.   Answer Question

Advertising Operations Interview

Advertising Operations
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at LinkedIn in April 2014.

Interview Details – The HR coordinators at LinkedIn are absolutely terrible at their job.

I applied to the California LinkedIn office and heard back within two weeks from Recruiter #1, based out of New York, asking to come into the office. That just happened to be the same week I was traveling, so I told her I could come into the office the following week. A different recruiter, Recruiter #2, also based out of New York, responded that I could do a Skype interview, so I gave her my available times. Three days pass, and no response. They she finally emails me asking me to give her times, as if it was my fault that she can't manage her email. I gave her times again. Four days later, Recruiter #1 schedules me for an on-site interview because she had delayed the process so long that I was done with my trip. She sends me an address and time, and a couple of days later I go to the office for the interview.

Turns out, she gave me the wrong address. They were expecting me at the Mountain View office, but the recruiter gave me the office for the San Francisco office. I end up having the interviews via Skype, but between offices.

The interviews were perfectly nice. Asked behavioral questions and about my interest in advertising operations. Nothing too difficult.

Following the interview, I sent thank you emails, which received no response. Two weeks later, Recruiter #1 tells me that I will have a response in that week. I never hear from them again.

I don't understand why they needed recruiters from New York to schedule a California interview, and they needed two to schedule a time, but clearly it led to miscommunication and disorganization everywhere. For a company as well-known and established as LinkedIn, it is an embarrassment that their HR and Recruitment process is such a terrible mess.

Interview Question – What was your best subject in High School?   Answer Question

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!