LinkedIn Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The recruiter will call you first and ask you whether you are interested their job opportunities. Then you submit your resume from the email link which sent by the recruiter. Recruiter will ask you a proper time for the phone interview. The interview is one hour. It will have two engineers from Linkedin ask you some questions.

Interview Questions

• Find out at least one 3 elements array in a given integer array. The 3 elements have to be able to form a triangle.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty typical interview process. One phone screen with 2 coding problems. Onsite with 5 interviews typically 2 people with one just shadowing another. Be prepared to answer questions from both though.

Interview Questions

• One coding question to do with text parsing, nothing too complicated. One coding question to do with dynamic programming or greedy algorithm. One design question.   3 Answers

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in May 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen: They followed the usual collabedit.com based shared document to write code for the given question. The interviewer was nice and had good communication skills. I bombed the interview, possibly due to the prompts required to answer the question. Their expectations are higher. No sour grapes here, the process is fair, better than other companies. With this out of the way, here is some feedback to LI itself: One important point, I realized was the fact that, any line you type on the screen is considered final. My thought process is to exercise my own code and find issues with it. The interviewer was immediately jumping in pointing out things. Holes in the logic should be fine to point out, but, leave a minute or two to let the person think. It is a tough(only for some people, obviously) thing to pull off a balance between showing the interviewer what you are thinking Vs. solving the problem itself. I feel that an experienced engineer can't simply survive a day not knowing some of the things the interviewer mentioned in my interview. I write decent C++ code day-in and day-out which is reviewed at a very high standard. So, rejection from LI was a damning indictment of my "coding skills". So, be prepared to feel the worst engineer on the planet for a good month or so, if you do get rejected.

Interview Questions

• It is a famous problem from a famous book, that I happened to read 12+ years ago. Not entirely unexpected, but, writing the code on the screen was a different challenge by itself.   2 Answers

Software Engineer - Applications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted directly by LinkedIn, through LinkedIn for the interview. A phone screen was setup where I spoke with two people who barely spoke English. The only non-technical question they ever posed to me was "What your background?" after I said hello, and not a single follow-up question beyond my concise response. After listening to each of them provide a 30 second background of their own, both of which were completely non-comprehensible, they moved immediately to collabedit. With minor prompting, I was able to solve both questions they posed with optimal answers. I was very confident that amidst their lack of ability to effectively communicate, I had still performed extremely well. I followed up after the interview with a thank you email to the recruiter. After two weeks of hearing nothing, I sent another follow-up to the recruiter. Days after this I received a non-professional email from a new recruiter stating that my previous recruiter was no longer with the company, and that I did not perform to their expectations. In his words exactly, "I regret to inform you that your interview didn’t go as well as we had hoped it would. Do understand that these interviews are quite challenging...". I'm quite self critical, and had I fumbled on the technical questions even a little bit, I would shrug this off, but I did not. I asked the new recruiter if they could provide me with even a rough notion of the feedback so that I could grow as a developer, understand where I fell short, and work on those areas such that I could improve. Well, needless to say, I never got another response from him, and to this day have been completely ignored. I'm only thankful for this experience so that I know to avoid this company in the future. I'll take a hint from the only professional I interacted with (the first recruiter), waste no more time with this with this company, and like him, high tail it out of there and never look back.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

3 Rounds - 2 phone screens for an hour - 1 onsite - 2 Coding - 1 System Design - 1 Experience - 1 Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

• Just data structure and algorithms questions   14 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The recruiter reached me in LinkedIn and we had a conversation about my background. After that he arranged me a one-hour phone screen in which there were two interviewers who had asked me several coding problems. After the phone screen they seem to satisfy my answers and decided to have me do the onsite interviews which was consisted with five rounds of interviews in all, two of which are about coding, one about design, one about projects that I've done and one with the manager.

Interview Questions

• There's requirements from the engineers that they want to limit the right of code files in git server by marking the owner of each file. How would you design the system to solve this problem? What if the user want to use regex when configuring the owner of files?   2 Answers
    • How to apply the function of finding a string in the text of vim editor?   1 Answer

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I have received a message by one of the recruiters via LinkedIn. Started with a smooth phone call with recruiter, followed by 2 screening phone calls with Senior/Principal Designers. Process followed by executing a design task, which I had to complete in the next 6 days. After review I was invited to an onsite presentation, where you backed up your thinking and solution of the task as well as presented yourself and your prior work. After lunch the day followed by six 1 to 1 with several more Product/Design team members. Generally felt really nice and smooth. People were honestly great, positive and excited about their work.

Interview Questions

• Explain the process. How did you come up with this solution. Why do you think this is viable solution?   Answer Question

Data Quality Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Fairly straightforward phone screening, the only main issue I had was that I couldn't hear the interviewer very well. He asked some questions that I did not expect to be asked for the position. Overall I thought it was very straightforward phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Asked a few questions regarding your views on work culture.   Answer Question

Licensing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Omaha, NE) in May 2015.

Interview

Very good communication and logistics. It was an open and very inviting PROCESS. The actual interviews were not very structured. They seemed to not really know what they were looking for and asked a lot of generic questions. I can't really pin point what they were looking for and they gave me very generic feedback about my qualifications for the position. I was very excited about working for the company BEFORE the interview. After the interview - not so much. If you are looking for a first job or a "cool company" to put on your resume I am sure it is fine. If you are a seasoned professional there are a lot of places you can make an impact without working here.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in May 2015.

Interview

I applied through the job post on linkedin and got a call within 1 week. There was an initial phone screen with a recruiter to go over my background and fit. I then had a 1- hour phone interview with someone from the team. This interview was a mix of case study and an excel test. The case study was mainly related to linkedin's growth strategy. The excel test wasn't difficult but the time is not sufficient - 10 min on the spot to complete advanced analytics.