LinkedIn

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in September 2014.

Interview Process was very smooth - Took about 5 weeks. Had two initial phone interviews. These rounds were purely programming rounds. Got notified of the results the same day itself. Onsite interview consisted of 6 rounds. 2-programs, 1- design, 1- lunch, 1-manager. Interview process was very smooth and organized and all the interviewers made sure that I felt comfortable with the process. I would suggest practicing lot of programming questions, look into LinkedIn opensource projects, read a lot about Distributed Systems.

Interview Questions
    • Read in depth about the technologies that you have used so far, even though you haven't used it recently.   Answer Question

Test Engineer- API & Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in September 2014.

I have applied online and the recruiter came back to me very quickly. The phone interview went well (see the first question) and I was invited for the on-site interview. The process itself and the welcome I received was top notch (you get your LinkedIn connections map printed as a gift, lunch is included as a part of the interview and your schedule is presented to you on an iPad [which you have to give up at the end] with LinkedIn profiles of all your interviewers). The coding questions were pretty general with some more difficult variations (see second question as an example) However one interviewer tried to convince me that you can put any number on the Fibonacci sequence (which you can't btw) and I have the feeling that conversation cost me the job, since she was extremely bullish on her being right.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that would find the largest palindrome (phone interview)   View Answer
    • Write a Binary Search Tree class with isBST() method that will validate if the tree is a BST (onsite)   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in September 2014.

Applied online, got the phone screen with HR. They asked basic questions about your career and what you have done so far. Then got the 1st phone interview which was very simple and easy coding question. The 2nd phone interview was much harder and requires a thorough amount of studying. Be prepared!

HR was very nice and responsive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at LinkedIn in August 2014.

2 telephonic followed by 6 in-house algo/design/coding interviews.

- How to find if nodes in graph are exactly 1/2/3 edges apart. how would you distribute graph across machines.
    - Given set of characters and a string, find smallest substring which contains all characters.
    - Implement a delayed scheduler for jobs using pthread apis (mutex/cond_var)
    - You have bunch of numbers coming in, and a given a window size, how would you save numbers so that you can return number if present in window and provide average for current window.
    - Manager round: You are given bunch of machines with services running on them, how would you improve things. very vague design talk.
    - Reverse words in a string.
    - Implement decimal to roman and vice versa.

Interview Questions
    • 2 person (one senior / one junior) interview panel system at LinkedIn is weird. It is interviewee's responsibility to manage time during interview.   Answer Question

G&A Area Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

1. Call with a recruiter who talked a lot about company, ambitions and goals
    2. Call with hiring manager about what I my own ambitions and view on the future of technology in the world were
    3. On-site Coffee meeting with a member of the team
    4. Call with hiring manager's manager about past experiences, most challenging achievements
    5. On-site Role play with hiring manager
    6. Call with hiring manager about company's culture

Interview Questions
    Not a lot of space for negotiating. They make sure you acept the offer verbally before sending you anything in written.

Senior Applications Owner Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Initially contacted by a Linked in recruiter - basic behavioral questions. He did not seem to know a few key things about the position, which I later got from the technical interviewer.

Technical interview focused mainly on system, network admin / operations type of questions. Not what I was expecting based on the job description, so probably not what I was looking for anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Question about how file or directory access permissions work when served through a web server.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in August 2014.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter. We scheduled a time to talk on the phone. During the phone conversation, he explained what the process was going to be like, and we scheduled the first phone interview.

I had a total of two phone interviews. Both of them were conducted by two engineers and involved problem solving and questions. I was then scheduled for an in-house interview.

The in-house interview consisted of 5 interviews: all except for one were conducted by two engineers. Two covered coding, one covered system design, one covered team work (which was also a design question) and the last covered engineering communication.

Interview Questions
    • A multithreading question. Has I prepared for this, it would have been easy. But noting I've been programming in a single-threaded environment in the last 4 years, I struggled with this.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Applied on Company website. Contacted by HR, scheduled for technical screen. Online technical screen using a collaborative editing tool. Second technical screen by phone, no on line editing.

Scheduled for 5 hour on site. senior manager for position and I had short chat about company culture, then got lunch. Then 4 sets of technical interviews with one or two people asking me questions.

Culture was very exciting to me - the people seemed very enthusiastic about the company and that they would be solving interesting problems that would make a difference in people's lives.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult portion was due to poor time management - I didn't know I was going to be asked to do two whiteboard coding problems and the interviewers had asked me to talk about successes in my career. So 40 minutes of a 60 minute session were taken up before they got to what was important. My advice is to ask interviewers politely what they need to cover in their time.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in July 2014.

The initial communications were through a recruiter that works for LinkedIn. They contacted me about the job offer and we moved on to interviews.

I interviewed with an engineer who did a very high-level asking of questions related to web architecture and how I would go about scaling X or Y. It was not very technical, although you were encouraged to speak your mind about technical topics.

Based on the feedback received by that interview we moved on the another phone interview that was a programming interview. You were allowed to pick a language (I picked python) and they asked you 4 questions.

Each question built on the other questions and it was a timed interview (60 minutes). The questions you were asked were taken straight out of CS 101 text books; given input, if input is divisible by 2 do X, if divisible by 6 do Y, if divisible by both do Z, else print something.

Interestingly, because I haven't done any of these "simple" coding problems for upwards of 10 years, I found this portion of the interview the most difficult. For me it was difficult because these questions just are not what you come across in the real world. The majority of the code things I do today involve fixing bugs here and there and monkey patching code to make it work. Also, you typically have some context and foresight into a problem before you start coding. Being dropped a simple 1 + 2 question is nothing you'd ever encounter working in the real world; it's all academic as far as I'm concerned.

I felt like I failed the programming interview, but surprisingly, I got a call back saying they wanted to do an on-site interview.

They flew me out to Mountain View and I spent a full day with a number of their engineers going through what they called "modules". This is where it got interesting.

I took special care to look at their culture. I noticed that the building is very quiet, there is not a lot of personal "schwag" hanging around people's areas. Not a lot of smiling engineers...curious.

The modules included you having semi-technical one-on-one interviews with an engineer. There were some engineers that were VERY technical and weren't much interested in the chitchat that can happen where you talk about what you might currently be working on.

The easiest module was the "lunch" module where you ...well...ate lunch, haha. I was expecting this to be a group thing though and instead it was just a you + 1 engineer who ate at the cafeteria. The engineer was the only one that I really "liked" after meeting them all, but still it was a one-to-one interaction. I was really hoping for a group effort.

Throughout the WHOLE on-site interview process I got the sinking feeling that individuality trumps groups at LinkedIn. This bums me out because I currently operate in a fairly strong group position and if I am moving to a new position where I am more isolated, I really don't want that.

Also, its so quiet. Creepy quiet. Like none of the engineers talk to each other. My current position there is ALWAYS something going on and a lot more background noise to remind you that "you're around people". I didn't get that feeling from LinkedIn.

After the interview I just went back and cooled off in the hotel before my flight left the next day. Because of the 2 hour time difference, it was a good idea to plan for staying 3-ish days; 1 to get there, 1 to interview and 1 to leave.

Interview Questions
    • There were two and they both happened during the live-debugging portion of the interview.

All of the live debugging questions revolved around a simple website that had something broken in it. You were to fix the brokenness to be able to move on to the next page. In total there were 4 questions, each getting progressively more difficult to debug.

The first question was a simple permissions problem on a file being requested by the client. The ownership of the file (a blank text file) was too restrictive, so it was raising an error. You could verify this in the apache web logs.

The second error was due to a permission problem too, however this time the file was hidden in a sub directory of the main web site. You could only determine this by looking at the apache configuration file to see that the shtml file was located somewhere else. After that, change the permissions to fix.

The third was a head scratcher. The filename in question was raising a 500 error and showing urlencoded characters in the filename in the web log. Looking at the name of the file on disk though, showed nothing out of the ordinary.

It turns out that the unicode representations for the characters in the file name are printed in the terminal as english ascii characters. The only way you can tell that this is the case is to open the file and do a search for the filename itself and see if it matches. For example, if the correct filename is called "challenge1.shtml" you can search for that exact string but NOT find the unicode version of it.

Once you find the incorrect file name, delete it and type the correct file name (in this case "challenge3.shtml" into the file and the page works.

The final question was a segfault occurring in apache. It resulted in no information being returned to the client. You could see this occurring in the apache web logs as well as the Chrome tools.

The apache web logs noted that a core file was dumped. This challenge required that you know a little bit about gdb and C programming. Basically, you need to run the core dump through gdb.

gdb /path/to/apache /path/to/core/dump

It will spew out a lot of stuff. In particular, it mentions that there is something happening in an apache module; mod_rewrite or something...it doesnt really matter.

The output also points to the C source file for that module which is, conveniently on disk. Open that file in vi and jump to the line number mentioned in the gdb output (line 1861 or something). There you will see that if the filename matches challenge4.shtml to SIGSEGV; there's your smoke gun.

They dont ask you to fix the final challenge, only to explain what the strstr is doing. The error in question basically looks like this

if (strstr($r->filename, "challenge4.shtml") != NULL) {
          SIGSEGV
      }

Just point out to them that, yeah, it's segfaulting when I ask for that file.
        View Answer
    • There was a paper presented to you with a number of nagios alerts and you had to rate them in the order you would approach fixing them.

For example, one of them was a production host being 100% offline.

Another was an environment alert about an entire cab that was overheating. Another was the tablet vip being down, another was a load average for the main website being really high.

There were also a number of them that were QPS (queries per sec) related and included several security related alerts like XSS QPS and failed logins QPS
        View Answer

Web Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Got contact from linkedin. One phone interview. I am more backend developer, but they are expect more frontend developer. So field doesn't match. didn't go further.
    Two interviewers, they were asking all general js and css, html question. Nothing too hard, some of questions are out of my knowledge.

Recruiter called me to give me feedbacks, this is every nice.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Since it's first phone interview, they all general question.   Answer Question