LinkedIn Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.5

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Advertising Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at LinkedIn in April 2014.

The HR coordinators at LinkedIn are absolutely terrible at their job.

I applied to the California LinkedIn office and heard back within two weeks from Recruiter #1, based out of New York, asking to come into the office. That just happened to be the same week I was traveling, so I told her I could come into the office the following week. A different recruiter, Recruiter #2, also based out of New York, responded that I could do a Skype interview, so I gave her my available times. Three days pass, and no response. They she finally emails me asking me to give her times, as if it was my fault that she can't manage her email. I gave her times again. Four days later, Recruiter #1 schedules me for an on-site interview because she had delayed the process so long that I was done with my trip. She sends me an address and time, and a couple of days later I go to the office for the interview.

Turns out, she gave me the wrong address. They were expecting me at the Mountain View office, but the recruiter gave me the office for the San Francisco office. I end up having the interviews via Skype, but between offices.

The interviews were perfectly nice. Asked behavioral questions and about my interest in advertising operations. Nothing too difficult.

Following the interview, I sent thank you emails, which received no response. Two weeks later, Recruiter #1 tells me that I will have a response in that week. I never hear from them again.

I don't understand why they needed recruiters from New York to schedule a California interview, and they needed two to schedule a time, but clearly it led to miscommunication and disorganization everywhere. For a company as well-known and established as LinkedIn, it is an embarrassment that their HR and Recruitment process is such a terrible mess.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Applied online with no internal referral, and a few days later there was a recruiter contacted me.

For the phone interview, I was asked a multi-thread and thread safety question during the phone interview, for which I did not prepare. I was focusing on data structure, algorithm, and design. Given that I did not prepare for this type of questions, I was notified by the recruiter 2/3 days after the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question is on this thread safety, for which i did not prepare before the interview.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at LinkedIn.

I was contacted by a recruiter and the initial time to set up my interviews was fast. Everyone was very nice, respectful and I always left feeling very positive about the thought of working here, since everyone seemed to enjoy it so much. However, after 1 written and verbal presentation and over 2 months of interviews (on the phone, via Skype, and in person twice at two different office locations), they decided to go with another candidate. They give you a tablet to use while you wait for your in-person interivew at the headquarters - why, I don't know, but it was cool.

Interview Questions
    • Something about innovative ways to incorporate blogging...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2012.

Phone interview with a recruiter. Almost all questions can be found here.

Interview Questions
    • trivial technical questions, such as some Unix commands, bytes of an integer etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - 2014 New College Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LinkedIn in November 2013.

Applied online, recieved an email from recruiter to set up a call. Initial chat about opportunities and was communicated I will be interviewd for application team. First round telephonic interview. 1 coding question and reject.

/**
     * Given two (dictionary) words as Strings, determine if they are isomorphic. Two words are called isomorphic
     * if the letters in one word can be remapped to get the second word. Remapping a letter means replacing all
     * occurrences of it with another letter while the ordering of the letters remains unchanged. No two letters
     * may map to the same letter, but a letter may map to itself.
     * Example:
     * given "foo", "app"; returns true
     * we can map 'f' -> 'a' and 'o' -> 'p'
     * given "bar", "foo"; returns false
     * we can't map both 'a' and 'r' to 'o'
     * given "turtle", "tletur"; returns true
     * we can map 't' -> 't', 'u' -> 'l', 'r' -> 'e', 'l' -> 'u', 'e' ->'r'
     * given "ab", "ca"; returns true
     * we can map 'a' -> 'c', 'b' -> 'a'

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at LinkedIn in October 2013.

First contact was on Oct 23rd via email from a technical recruiter and we scheduled a phone call for next day. She talked about positions available at the moment asked what would interest me the most. After I picked one area she scheduled first phone screen on Oct 25th.
    First phone screen was with a Sr. Data Scientist, she made a very good introduction of the project on which she works. I was asked what projects I worked on before and what am looking for now. Than a few simple questions related to data science.
    Second phone screen was a coding interview and was scheduled for the Nov 1st and they used collabedit.com to code. The problem was interesting and after some discussion and hints I was able to verbalize the most efficient solution and then proceeded to coding it in C. It took some discussion and time before I got it and the interviewer at no time was trying to fail me, he was very helpful and treated me super nicely.
    Couple days later they informed me that I passed and scheduled on site interview for Nov 7th. On site I had 5 interviews 45min each, two data scientists, one product manager, one coding (simple SQL), one lunch interview with the hiring team member. All questions are reasonable, no brain teasers or tricky questions, no one is trying to fail you and people are genuinely super nice. After that I had couple more meetings with engineering team members. Overall it took almost the entire day. Two days later I was told that they would like to make me an offer and gave me all the details.
    I was on a tough schedule because I had another pending offer and LinkedIn HR pulled out a little miracle to make all the process super smooth and fast. It took 2 weeks from the first contact to the offer stage, and this is not an easy thing to do trust me!!! They handle all the logistics, all you need to think about is just to concentrate on the interviews itself.
    Overall, LinkedIn interview process is as good as it possibly gets and they pay really good money so it is for sure worth fighting for.

Interview Questions
    • They are really reasonable about questions. Just explain clearly what you have done before, the questions that they have a open ended discussions. If you can talk on a subject matter and give a few angles on a problem that is all they are looking for.   Answer Question

I did not take the offer only because I got another one where I liked the project slightly better. Their compensation is super generous and it is hard to match.

Enterprise Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at LinkedIn in December 2012.

This had to be one of my favorite interviews in a while. I ended up meeting with two sales managers initially. It ended up being a great conversation and just learning about each others backgrounds. They asked direct questions about why I wanted to work there, culture and why I thought there was a fit. They were also open to answering the many questions I had. Finally a third person, the Director came in and we did a case together. This was the best part of the interview. You knew the deck was stacked against you on the information front. They know the business better than you and you have to remain calm, do your best and be open to feedback. The feedback from the case was open, constructive and honest. I really liked how they delivered it and that encouraged me to continue our conversations and accept the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you did on this case?   View Answer
    Negotiated a signing bonus and also the upfront piece of my variable compensation.

Research Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2013.

Long interview process! They take their time to make sure the best person is offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Case study questions - was not expecting them, but luckily did well enough!   View Answer

Sales Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

- be prepared to describe why you want to work for LinkedIn... not just cause its a cool tech company but because of why it's doing something that you want to be a part of!
    - know how we make money!
    - don't apply for a job here and not have a LI profile

Interview Questions
    • How many pens can you fit into an airplane?
      How many windows are in San Francisco?
        Answer Question
    I was happy with the offer

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in September 2012.

LinkedIn contacted me, presumably from a search of their own site. I was contacted by email which led to a phone interview. The phone interview asked several fit and interest questions. The phone interview was followed by two pair-programming interviews in which JS Fiddle was used to determine my skillset. The first interview focused on general style and markup questions and the second focused on JS Fundamentals and pattern questions. Based on the interview and some of the more advanced JS questions I was fairly confident that I was out. They exercises weren't complicated, but it was obvious that I had a lack of experience in using them in application development (up to this point I had been more of a Corporate vanity site developer.)

Interview Questions
    • Because they are manipulating large amounts of data it was very important to have a firm grasp of JSON and API manipulation. It was important to have a good grasp of data binding technologies and their limitations. It would have been good to have a better grasp on various JS development patterns.   Answer Question

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!