LinkedIn Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I am not on the job market. Yet an internal recruiter contacted me via linkedin. I decided to do a quick tech with them to feel them out. They knew I have many years experience, so they arranged a senior person to conduct my interview.

However, the question was extremely basic. So I was immediately turned off... I am fairly sure he had no idea of my background nor even looked at my resume.

I did not even code the basic edge cases of handling null or empty input, because the interviewer kept interrupting me... Let me explain.

I was logged into work on my normal machine, and so I had to use an auxiliary computer to do the tech interview... but that computer monitor is like 3 feet away from it's keyboard.. so i would type the line, then squint to look at it.. and before i could correct a typo, the interviewer would condescendingly indicate the line needed a correction.

Interview Questions

• Create an isNumber(string) function. Handle signed / unsigned, floating point, any number of digits, etc. Probably commas, and currency signs, or whatever. It was open ended and governed by whatever unit tests he wanted you to make it work against.

That was seriously, the only question they asked me; someone with software development experience since 1994. I was expecting graph theory.. tree traversal.. design patterns.. more relevant topics... and instead asked a question i solved 23 years ago in a basic C programming college course.

1 Answer

Senior Business IT Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

LinkedIn is not the best when it comes to scheduling interviews, they cancel last minute, re-schedule and all that. It can impact your mindset for an interview. lot of situational questions for this role

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you had to fight internal diplomacy?   1 Answer
    • Tell me of a process you have implemented   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Applications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted directly by LinkedIn, through LinkedIn for the interview. A phone screen was setup where I spoke with two people who barely spoke English. The only non-technical question they ever posed to me was "What your background?" after I said hello, and not a single follow-up question beyond my concise response. After listening to each of them provide a 30 second background of their own, both of which were completely non-comprehensible, they moved immediately to collabedit.

With minor prompting, I was able to solve both questions they posed with optimal answers. I was very confident that amidst their lack of ability to effectively communicate, I had still performed extremely well. I followed up after the interview with a thank you email to the recruiter.

After two weeks of hearing nothing, I sent another follow-up to the recruiter. Days after this I received a non-professional email from a new recruiter stating that my previous recruiter was no longer with the company, and that I did not perform to their expectations. In his words exactly, "I regret to inform you that your interview didn’t go as well as we had hoped it would. Do understand that these interviews are quite challenging...".

I'm quite self critical, and had I fumbled on the technical questions even a little bit, I would shrug this off, but I did not. I asked the new recruiter if they could provide me with even a rough notion of the feedback so that I could grow as a developer, understand where I fell short, and work on those areas such that I could improve. Well, needless to say, I never got another response from him, and to this day have been completely ignored.

I'm only thankful for this experience so that I know to avoid this company in the future. I'll take a hint from the only professional I interacted with (the first recruiter), waste no more time with this with this company, and like him, high tail it out of there and never look back.

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I have received a message by one of the recruiters via LinkedIn. Started with a smooth phone call with recruiter, followed by 2 screening phone calls with Senior/Principal Designers. Process followed by executing a design task, which I had to complete in the next 6 days. After review I was invited to an onsite presentation, where you backed up your thinking and solution of the task as well as presented yourself and your prior work. After lunch the day followed by six 1 to 1 with several more Product/Design team members. Generally felt really nice and smooth. People were honestly great, positive and excited about their work.

Interview Questions

• Explain the process. How did you come up with this solution. Why do you think this is viable solution?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The recruiter will call you first and ask you whether you are interested their job opportunities. Then you submit your resume from the email link which sent by the recruiter. Recruiter will ask you a proper time for the phone interview. The interview is one hour. It will have two engineers from Linkedin ask you some questions.

Interview Questions

• Find out at least one 3 elements array in a given integer array. The 3 elements have to be able to form a triangle.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

3 Rounds

- 2 phone screens for an hour
    - 1 onsite
       - 2 Coding
       - 1 System Design
       - 1 Experience
       - 1 Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

• Just data structure and algorithms questions   8 Answers

Data Quality Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Fairly straightforward phone screening, the only main issue I had was that I couldn't hear the interviewer very well. He asked some questions that I did not expect to be asked for the position. Overall I thought it was very straightforward phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Asked a few questions regarding your views on work culture.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The recruiter reached me in LinkedIn and we had a conversation about my background. After that he arranged me a one-hour phone screen in which there were two interviewers who had asked me several coding problems. After the phone screen they seem to satisfy my answers and decided to have me do the onsite interviews which was consisted with five rounds of interviews in all, two of which are about coding, one about design, one about projects that I've done and one with the manager.

Interview Questions

• There's requirements from the engineers that they want to limit the right of code files in git server by marking the owner of each file. How would you design the system to solve this problem? What if the user want to use regex when configuring the owner of files?   1 Answer
    • How to apply the function of finding a string in the text of vim editor?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Whole process took over two months. Two phone interviews and one on-site interview with three PMs. Interview questions were relevant and about daily challenges that the PMs tackle. It was a pleasant experience overall. If I compare this experience to the Google PM interview I had a month prior to the LI interview, I have to say that LI PMs were way more grounded and their approach was way more friendly.

Interview Questions

• How would you get Sales Professionals to post more links on LinkedIn? What metrics would you look at?   Answer Question
    • How would you get people to update their LinkedIn profiles?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an app that you have recently downloaded. How was their on-boarding process?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a product that you love. Why? How would you make it better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewer reached out on LinkedIn. I wasn't ready to move ahead with the process at that point of time. We followed up when I had a pending offer and decided to move ahead with the process.

There were 2 phone rounds which covered standard interviewing questions followed by an onsite round. The onsite round was a day of 5 interviews along with a lunch interview with one of the engineers.

Out of the 5 onsite rounds, 2 were meant to be coding rounds and 1 was meant to be a design round.
    The remaining 2 rounds surprisingly were meant to be technical discussions about my work experience and more architecture.

The coding rounds were simpler than the phone interviews. The fact that the 2 technical interviews virtually covered the same architecture of my work experience was staggering in spite of me raising it with the second interviewer.

The engineers I met were well-mannered and polite. However, the process in general wasn't the most organized one.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to find the power of a^b
      Find the minimum distance between 2 words in a dictionary
      Evaluate a post-fix expression
      Given an array of numbers , replace each number with the product of all the numbers divided by the number at that index without using the division operator

1 Answer