LinkedIn Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at LinkedIn in March 2015.

One programming phone interview, 2 questions. Onsite interview was the longest I've ever been to, but they did a great job of making it fun, and I was not tired by the end.

Interview Questions
    • 2 programming sessions, 3 design sessions, and 1 behavior session.   View Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at LinkedIn in March 2015.

Overall, it was a good experience for me, as it was my first interview in Silicon Valley. Everyone was very smart and helpful along the way.

I initially had a recruiter reach out to me via LinkedIn, a surreal experience for sure. I spent an hour chatting with my recruiter about the position and LinkedIn. I expressed some concern over relocation and she was wonderful explaining relocation and how they eased that pain.

There was a lull, as it was around the holidays, but we ended up scheduling a two 45-minute phone interviews. They both called on time and we went through my portfolio, as well as some general questions about my design process. They each talked about different things, which was great.

I was asked to come on-site, and again I was hesitant about wasting time if I wasn't able to move. My recruiter actually put me in touch with another designer who moved from my home state, and we ended up talking for an hour. The extra effort was great and convinced me I wanted to do the on-site.

During this time, my recruiter quit and I was passed on to a new one. That transition went smoothly as it could. I was given a week to complete a design exercise. I spent 8-10 hours on it and in retrospect, should have done more.

After some travel delays, I made it out to Mountain View for the interview. I was greeted after signing in and was given a very quick tour. I was then set up in a room to give an hour long presentation about myself, my work, and the design exercise. There were about 15-20 people in the room, along with some remote folks. There were a lot of questions back and forth. I knew they had time to prepare their thoughts about where my design exercise failed, wish I'd been prepared too!

Then we went directly into a more casual lunch 1-on-1. I wanted more time with this, as I was really getting to learn more about the everyday life as a designer at LinkedIn.

I was then in a room for four back to back 45 minute interviews with senior designers from different departments. It was a mixed bag, as some I felt more comfortable with than others. The first interview was via a video conference, while the other 3 were in person. We spent a lot of time going over my design exercise. Every person used the whole 45 minutes and by the last interviewer, I was pretty exhausted.

About a week passed, and I was given a phone call that I didn't have enough experience for what they were looking for. I appreciated the phone call and feedback.

They said to stay in touch and reach out in 6 months-year, which I found encouraging.

Interview Questions
    • What would be the next feature you would add if you had the time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at LinkedIn in February 2015.

Interview process started by a recruiter contacting me on LinkedIn and scheduled a phone interview. The interview questions weren't hard, the interviewer was expecting the solution to be in certain fashion, when i am writing code and explaining him a different way I do it, he doesn't want to hear, kept interrupting me with his questions before I finish what I have to say, which is very annoying and I lost my interest in explaining it to him and I told him I will write the code and if it doesn't work we can discuss, looks like he wasn't interested in code until he understood the logic. So, all in all, it wasn't a great interview.

Coming to the LinkedIn's recruiting part. They suck, absolutely bad hiring process and communications. 3 years ago I interviewed for LinkedIn and I didn't get through their phone screen, once phone screen is done the recruiter never gets back to you with anything. I emailed him multiple times, no reply, I called him, no reply and after 5 weeks, he replies with "we are not interested and will not be moving forward". LinkedIn needs 5 weeks to get feedback for your phone screen sounds "reasonable time". This time I didn't bother to even ask the recruiter about feedback.

I personally decided not to interview with them anytime in future again.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing hard, 1 array related question and 1 modified binary search question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in December 2014.

First round was behavioral and they just asked about how I got into CS and other standard questions about my interests.
    Second round was an hour long technical interview.
    Third round was two-one hour long interviews.
    And fourth was just talking with the team.

Interview Questions
    • Question Description: Write a function that, given a list of integers (both positive and negative) returns the sum of the contiguous subsequence with maximum sum. Thus, given the sequence (1, 2, -4, 1, 3, -2, 3, -1) it should return 5.   View Answers (7)

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in January 2015.

HR contact me through linkedin, scheduled 2 phone interviews, pass both and move to the onsite interview, which consist of 6 back to back interviews, starting from 10am till 4pm. There are 3 technical interviews(coding skill, algorithm, system design) and 3 non-technical interviews(communication skills, lunch, and talk with the hiring manager)

Generally speaking all interview questions are not super hard and most of them are reasonable, the only thing that may affect your performance is that there's no time to rest, it's basically 6 hours back to back interview except the lunch. The lunch is lead by a senior enginner, we did a lot of chatting, which made me even more exhausted.

I'd suggest that if Linkedin can setup a 30min break time after lunch, that would help the candidates to relax and gain some stemina back because the 2 interviews after the lunch are both technical.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in January 2015.

For a social networking company, I'm disappointed in the poor communication skills and disorganized interview processes.

Contacted by a LinkedIn recruiter via LinkedIn InMail message. Received a list of questions to answer via e-mail to prior to first phone call with the recruiter. When I talked to the recruiter over the phone, she hadn't read any of my responses whatsoever, and proceeded to ask the questions over the phone. She then said she doesn't think they have a fit for me, but she'll put me through the process anyways, just in case. SHE was the one who contacted ME in the first place, based on my LinkedIn profile, which exactly reflects what's on my resume.

I was then handed to an interview coordinator who scheduled me for a technical phone screen with a junior/senior software engineer duo. My phone screen was postponed, and the coordinator asked for available time slots in order to reschedule. I sent my response to the coordinator and CC'd the recruiter who initially contacted me. I received an out-of-office response from the coordinator, with the contact information for a backup coordinator. I resent my response to all three (recruiter, original coordinator, and backup coordinator). I didn't hear back for a day, and thought they were having issues finding engineers who could make the time slots. I then received e-mail from the recruiter saying she needed a response. I double-checked the e-mail addresses on my previous e-mail, and everything was correct. I forwarded it to all three people again. The next day, I received an e-mail from the original coordinator with the same urgent request. Again, I forwarded my time slots to the same three people. A day later, I finally received the names of another junior/senior duo and a confirmed time slot. When the phone screen finally happened (10 minutes late), I was contacted by someone entirely different. He was under the impression that I knew who he was. I got a vibe that there was someone else in the conference room with him. My time was cut short, as the interviewer was being kicked out of the conference room.

As others have mentioned, LinkedIn obviously has an interview question repository. Reviewing practice questions from Career Cup will help. Phone screen consisted of a series of programming puzzles to be done over Collabedit. In my opinion, these questions had absolutely nothing to do with the job I was contacted for, and had little relevance to anything LinkedIn does.

The job titles at LinkedIn appear to be horribly skewed. Most senior-level software engineering jobs in Silicon Valley are for 10+ years of professional experience. The two senior level engineers I was originally scheduled to talk to had only two years of experience, and were hired at LinkedIn straight out of college. The senior engineer I ACTUALLY talked to mentioned that he interned at LinkedIn the previous year. I find no comfort in the idea that a company, such as LinkedIn, can run the Engineering department with "senior software engineers" that practically just graduated from college (without even a Masters degree to bump the years in experience).

Rejection e-mail bad a vague, "Your experience doesn't fit any of our open positions," response. In reality, nothing was asked of me in the technical phone screen to actually determine this. I wish I had actually read some of the interview reviews on Glassdoor before I started this process. I probably never would have bothered responding to the recruiter in the first place.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that's not on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at LinkedIn.

One of the coolest interview experience. Had a standard phone screen, followed by a round of on-site interviews. On-site interviews were really focused, which you don't see much often, and all the interviewers were top-notch people. Really enjoyed the process, which was a big plus for me when considering the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic and standard. They can be aced without any prep. LinkedIn is probably more interested in maintaining a culture fit, where most people might fail to cross the hurdle.   Answer Question
    They matched and exceeded all my other offers

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LinkedIn in December 2014.

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn InMail. Then after 2 week had my introductory round. After 2 week again had same introductory round from the same recruiter. then he scheduled Technical phone interview. It went good. Interviewer was asking increasing question difficulty gradually. Then they scheduled 2 Code interview of 45-45 min on collabedit. Unfortunately half an hour before my coding interview i receive email that position has been filled.!

Interview Questions
    • Difference between JQuery getelement by id vs Javascript.   Answer Question
    • How DOM access its elements   Answer Question
    • Difference between Margin, Box, Padding   Answer Question
    • HTML5 vs HTML4, Basics of DOM and its working, Alternative of JQuery, javascript implementation of ajax etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LinkedIn.

First had a call with the recruiter who scoped my background and interests and decided for which stream within software engineering was he going to put my application in for. Since I'm more of an interactive, client-side guy, I chose Software engg - Frontend.

Had an hour long phone interview with a frontend engineer , who started with general CS and systems questions, went deep into JAVA (Threads, deadlocks, VM, garbage collections) and ended with some challenging javascript questions, which neede knowledge of javascript patterns.

About a week later, got a call saying I had made it and they were flying me out to Mountain view for the on-site rounds, 'INvitational'. Chose a convenient date.
    On their campus, got to know that linkedin holds 'INvitational' for entry-level candidates. It's basically one whole day of interviews and events with their selected set of candidates. The day started off with breakfast, ice-brekers for all the interviewees and an inspirational talk by a senior manager. After warming up, two hour long interviews were scheduled. Both with experienced engineers. One was algorihms - with concept only from standard books like CTCI and the second was web-module development test, where I was shown a certain part of their site and had to write the structure, style it and code the logic. The main thing is to talk through your approach.
    After the first two rounds was a long tour of campus, lunch and talk with recently joined engineers about their experience. Spent 2 hours here, but helped calm me down.
    The final 2 rounds came after, one was with a very experienced engineer, who showed me a new UI feature he was implemeting on his work laptop and I had to try and code that up. Stumbled a lot here, mainly because I didn't know about how to implement each feature for all browsers/devices. The last round was a manager interview in which I had to talk about a system design (CTCI - esque) and later about my work experience and work style, probably to determine a culture fit.
    The day ended by all of us candidates and a few recruters going to a nice sushi place with tons of options. Linkedin surely keeps you well fed.

Interview Questions
    • Develop a module on the actual site, keeping in mind the concepts of graceful degradation and supporting all users.   View Answer
    Linkedin is generous with the offer. If you have equivalent offer, then you can ask for a little more.

Site Reliability Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in November 2014.

It started with the LinkedIn recruiter contacting me for a leadership position. It was followed by a basic technical questionnaire and then two one-hour phone interviews, including a coding exercise. The next stage was onsite interview that included their standard six modules. The interview experience was very great until then.

What followed it completely surprised me and I lost all the respect for the company. I was called in for a second onsite interview with the management which went on for over five hours. I did really well and thought I was in.

I was totally surprised when they said they found me too "strong" and hence they wouldn't hire. The very next day, they promoted their internal candidate to the manager position that I was being interviewed for. That employee was one of the folks who had interviewed me!

This is totally unethical! It is a complete shame that the company that prides itself in building the solution for job seekers has no respect for human emotions. I wasted my time obsessing over this company and making thorough preparation for the interview. It broke my heart.

Interview Questions
    • The live troubleshooting of Apache web server was a little tricky. This has been documented by another interviewer.   Answer Question