LinkedIn Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

One programming phone interview, 2 questions. Onsite interview was the longest I've ever been to, but they did a great job of making it fun, and I was not tired by the end.

Interview Questions

• 2 programming sessions, 3 design sessions, and 1 behavior session.   1 Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Overall, it was a good experience for me, as it was my first interview in Silicon Valley. Everyone was very smart and helpful along the way.

I initially had a recruiter reach out to me via LinkedIn, a surreal experience for sure. I spent an hour chatting with my recruiter about the position and LinkedIn. I expressed some concern over relocation and she was wonderful explaining relocation and how they eased that pain.

There was a lull, as it was around the holidays, but we ended up scheduling a two 45-minute phone interviews. They both called on time and we went through my portfolio, as well as some general questions about my design process. They each talked about different things, which was great.

I was asked to come on-site, and again I was hesitant about wasting time if I wasn't able to move. My recruiter actually put me in touch with another designer who moved from my home state, and we ended up talking for an hour. The extra effort was great and convinced me I wanted to do the on-site.

During this time, my recruiter quit and I was passed on to a new one. That transition went smoothly as it could. I was given a week to complete a design exercise. I spent 8-10 hours on it and in retrospect, should have done more.

After some travel delays, I made it out to Mountain View for the interview. I was greeted after signing in and was given a very quick tour. I was then set up in a room to give an hour long presentation about myself, my work, and the design exercise. There were about 15-20 people in the room, along with some remote folks. There were a lot of questions back and forth. I knew they had time to prepare their thoughts about where my design exercise failed, wish I'd been prepared too!

Then we went directly into a more casual lunch 1-on-1. I wanted more time with this, as I was really getting to learn more about the everyday life as a designer at LinkedIn.

I was then in a room for four back to back 45 minute interviews with senior designers from different departments. It was a mixed bag, as some I felt more comfortable with than others. The first interview was via a video conference, while the other 3 were in person. We spent a lot of time going over my design exercise. Every person used the whole 45 minutes and by the last interviewer, I was pretty exhausted.

About a week passed, and I was given a phone call that I didn't have enough experience for what they were looking for. I appreciated the phone call and feedback.

They said to stay in touch and reach out in 6 months-year, which I found encouraging.

Interview Questions

• What would be the next feature you would add if you had the time?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The recruiter I spoke to was extremely nice and was pleasant to talk to. She asked me about my education and where I have had coordinator roles in my past experiences. However after the interview I kept getting passed around from recruiter to recruiter saying they will help me but my follow up emails were mostly left unanswered.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewer reached out on LinkedIn. I wasn't ready to move ahead with the process at that point of time. We followed up when I had a pending offer and decided to move ahead with the process.

There were 2 phone rounds which covered standard interviewing questions followed by an onsite round. The onsite round was a day of 5 interviews along with a lunch interview with one of the engineers.

Out of the 5 onsite rounds, 2 were meant to be coding rounds and 1 was meant to be a design round.
    The remaining 2 rounds surprisingly were meant to be technical discussions about my work experience and more architecture.

The coding rounds were simpler than the phone interviews. The fact that the 2 technical interviews virtually covered the same architecture of my work experience was staggering in spite of me raising it with the second interviewer.

The engineers I met were well-mannered and polite. However, the process in general wasn't the most organized one.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to find the power of a^b
      Find the minimum distance between 2 words in a dictionary
      Evaluate a post-fix expression
      Given an array of numbers , replace each number with the product of all the numbers divided by the number at that index without using the division operator

Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was really pleasant- I was contacted by a recruiter about the job on LinkedIn, who scheduled a phone screen for the next day. There were a couple of easy questions, and then she told me she was going to put me through. The second round was a technical phone screen with an actual engineer- simple questions: fizz buzz, export to CSV, pull some stuff out of logs and count it. Not a whole lot of data structures. Like, you had to know dictionaries and stuff for it, but no software engineering style questions. I emailed my recruiter some feedback about the interview, and she emailed me back to put me through to the last (onsite) round. This was scheduled, and they sent a car to pick me up because I don't drive. I met the coordinator, who introduced me to the first engineer I met with, who basically did a deep dive into all the stuff I knew about networking, UNIX, operating systems, parallelism, security, and other relevant stuff. The next engineer presented a case study, focusing on scalability of a simple system. Both engineers were really good at presenting the problems in a clear way.

Interview Questions

• Take part of a log file, export to CSV.   1 Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Internal recruiter contacted me and set up a phone screen. The phone screen included a brief set of technical questions involving Linux and networking protocols. Following that there were two technical interviews, one of which was a coding exercise on collabedit. The last stage is an all day onsite interview consisting of 6 modules covering various topics.

The interview process was very organized, personalized, and enjoyable. Feedback was very quick after each stage, and a generous offer was presented with little delay.

Interview Questions

• Q: What problem did you solve in your career that you are most proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process started by a recruiter contacting me on LinkedIn and scheduled a phone interview. The interview questions weren't hard, the interviewer was expecting the solution to be in certain fashion, when i am writing code and explaining him a different way I do it, he doesn't want to hear, kept interrupting me with his questions before I finish what I have to say, which is very annoying and I lost my interest in explaining it to him and I told him I will write the code and if it doesn't work we can discuss, looks like he wasn't interested in code until he understood the logic. So, all in all, it wasn't a great interview.

Coming to the LinkedIn's recruiting part. They suck, absolutely bad hiring process and communications. 3 years ago I interviewed for LinkedIn and I didn't get through their phone screen, once phone screen is done the recruiter never gets back to you with anything. I emailed him multiple times, no reply, I called him, no reply and after 5 weeks, he replies with "we are not interested and will not be moving forward". LinkedIn needs 5 weeks to get feedback for your phone screen sounds "reasonable time". This time I didn't bother to even ask the recruiter about feedback.

I personally decided not to interview with them anytime in future again.

Interview Questions

• Nothing hard, 1 array related question and 1 modified binary search question   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

For a social networking company, I'm disappointed in the poor communication skills and disorganized interview processes.

Contacted by a LinkedIn recruiter via LinkedIn InMail message. Received a list of questions to answer via e-mail to prior to first phone call with the recruiter. When I talked to the recruiter over the phone, she hadn't read any of my responses whatsoever, and proceeded to ask the questions over the phone. She then said she doesn't think they have a fit for me, but she'll put me through the process anyways, just in case. SHE was the one who contacted ME in the first place, based on my LinkedIn profile, which exactly reflects what's on my resume.

I was then handed to an interview coordinator who scheduled me for a technical phone screen with a junior/senior software engineer duo. My phone screen was postponed, and the coordinator asked for available time slots in order to reschedule. I sent my response to the coordinator and CC'd the recruiter who initially contacted me. I received an out-of-office response from the coordinator, with the contact information for a backup coordinator. I resent my response to all three (recruiter, original coordinator, and backup coordinator). I didn't hear back for a day, and thought they were having issues finding engineers who could make the time slots. I then received e-mail from the recruiter saying she needed a response. I double-checked the e-mail addresses on my previous e-mail, and everything was correct. I forwarded it to all three people again. The next day, I received an e-mail from the original coordinator with the same urgent request. Again, I forwarded my time slots to the same three people. A day later, I finally received the names of another junior/senior duo and a confirmed time slot. When the phone screen finally happened (10 minutes late), I was contacted by someone entirely different. He was under the impression that I knew who he was. I got a vibe that there was someone else in the conference room with him. My time was cut short, as the interviewer was being kicked out of the conference room.

As others have mentioned, LinkedIn obviously has an interview question repository. Reviewing practice questions from Career Cup will help. Phone screen consisted of a series of programming puzzles to be done over Collabedit. In my opinion, these questions had absolutely nothing to do with the job I was contacted for, and had little relevance to anything LinkedIn does.

The job titles at LinkedIn appear to be horribly skewed. Most senior-level software engineering jobs in Silicon Valley are for 10+ years of professional experience. The two senior level engineers I was originally scheduled to talk to had only two years of experience, and were hired at LinkedIn straight out of college. The senior engineer I ACTUALLY talked to mentioned that he interned at LinkedIn the previous year. I find no comfort in the idea that a company, such as LinkedIn, can run the Engineering department with "senior software engineers" that practically just graduated from college (without even a Masters degree to bump the years in experience).

Rejection e-mail bad a vague, "Your experience doesn't fit any of our open positions," response. In reality, nothing was asked of me in the technical phone screen to actually determine this. I wish I had actually read some of the interview reviews on Glassdoor before I started this process. I probably never would have bothered responding to the recruiter in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself that's not on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

First round was behavioral and they just asked about how I got into CS and other standard questions about my interests.
    Second round was an hour long technical interview.
    Third round was two-one hour long interviews.
    And fourth was just talking with the team.

Interview Questions

• Question Description: Write a function that, given a list of integers (both positive and negative) returns the sum of the contiguous subsequence with maximum sum. Thus, given the sequence (1, 2, -4, 1, 3, -2, 3, -1) it should return 5.   8 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

HR contact me through linkedin, scheduled 2 phone interviews, pass both and move to the onsite interview, which consist of 6 back to back interviews, starting from 10am till 4pm. There are 3 technical interviews(coding skill, algorithm, system design) and 3 non-technical interviews(communication skills, lunch, and talk with the hiring manager)

Generally speaking all interview questions are not super hard and most of them are reasonable, the only thing that may affect your performance is that there's no time to rest, it's basically 6 hours back to back interview except the lunch. The lunch is lead by a senior enginner, we did a lot of chatting, which made me even more exhausted.

I'd suggest that if Linkedin can setup a 30min break time after lunch, that would help the candidates to relax and gain some stemina back because the 2 interviews after the lunch are both technical.

Interview Questions

• will not disclose due to NDA   1 Answer