LinkedIn Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

34 interviews

3.4

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in August 2014.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter. We scheduled a time to talk on the phone. During the phone conversation, he explained what the process was going to be like, and we scheduled the first phone interview.

I had a total of two phone interviews. Both of them were conducted by two engineers and involved problem solving and questions. I was then scheduled for an in-house interview.

The in-house interview consisted of 5 interviews: all except for one were conducted by two engineers. Two covered coding, one covered system design, one covered team work (which was also a design question) and the last covered engineering communication.

Interview Questions
  • A multithreading question. Has I prepared for this, it would have been easy. But noting I've been programming in a single-threaded environment in the last 4 years, I struggled with this.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

I was referred at LinkedIn. The recruitment team was prompt and very responsive to schedule changes. The lead recruiter was very informative on the phone and talked to me for half an hour explaining LinkedIn and understanding my interests. I was very impressed.

First Phone Screen: Collabedit coding was expected with perfect language syntax
    Implement power function efficiently.
    Find maximum sum subset in an array with negative integers

Second Phone Screen:
    Find if a string is a number or not.
    Repeat question of maximum sum subset. After telling them that I already answered this, they were surprised as the first interviewer had not left any notes! This was a hard problem which I had answered correctly. I was very disappointed.
    Variation of the same problem, maximum product subset. I faultered a bit and was not able to get to the right code. However my idea was correct.

Interview Questions
    • Maximum product subset with negative and positive integers   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

2 initial phone screens where you will be asked to code on a collabedit link.
    Then 5 onsite rounds.
    2 Techincal ----> where they ask algo questions and expect code.
    1 Design ---> Where we have to design a problem.
    1 Design ---> Where you have to explain a project you have worked on.
    1 ----> Where they simply talk about your background/your interest and other stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Question were simple. They do have a question bank.
      a) Find the nearest K point given a set of N point.
      b) Print a tree level-by level.
      c) Given a dictionary find and set of two words find path from one word to another such that all the intermediate words are also from dictionary.
       Example: GOD -> GID -> DID -> DIG -> DOG.
      At each time we are allowed only one character change.
      d) Design an Hangman. { They expect MVC architecture. }
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in December 2013.

Applied to the position via Linkedin. Was contacted by a recruiter for an initial phone screen to discuss the job. Scheduled a 1-hour technical phone screen with 2 engineers the following week. During the interview, we used collabedit. Most of the interview consisted of technical trivia questions with one coding exercise using Python with regular expressions.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult, but unexpected. What are the differences between processes and threads?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in November 2009.

There are one to two phone screens, then an onsite that consists of five modules.

Interview Questions
    • It really varies person to person what is the hardest question.   Answer Question
    I simply accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in June 2013.

I was contacted by a LinkedIn recruiter. She was very responsive over email.

I then had a phone screen with an engineer. The phone screen did exactly what a phone screen should, it made sure I wasn't lying on my resume. The interviewer had me do some basic coding over collabnet. He also was very helpful in answering my questions about the company.

Having passed the phone screen I went in for an in-person interview. It was an all day affair where I got there at 10 and was out by 5:30 or so. The day consisted of a series of 45 minute interviews with pairs of engineers and managers from various groups in the department for which I was interviewing.

They have a well oiled interview machine going there. When I arrived they presented me with a loaner iPad which had my interview schedule, they gave me a tour of the campus, and when I got to the actual room where I was going to interview they had a number of goodies for me as gifts.

Unlike companies such as Google, the interview questions were aimed at assessing my skills rather than establishing the interviewer's alpha-geek status. Many questions were challenging without being "gotcha" questions. They were the sort of questions that an experienced engineer should be able to answer.

Interview Questions
    • Consider an X x Y array of 1's and 0s. The X axis represents "influences" meaning that X influences Y. So, for example, if $array[3,7] is 1 that means that 3 influences 7.

An "influencer" is someone who influences every other person, but is not influenced by any other member.

Given such an array, write a function to determine whether or not an "influencer" exists in the array.
        View Answers (6)

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in March 2013.

Contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter. After an initial chat with the recruiter, he offered some teams of interest. Then two phone screens. First phone screen was around Java specific questions and coding for multhreaded datastructure . Second phone screen asked me to create a minimal spanning tree. Easy enough. I got the reply back in 4 days. Then they setup the onsite. I was flown in to Mountain view. They took care of flight, car rental and hotel expenses. The onsite consisted of 5 interviews and a tour at the end.

The onsite question were considerably more difficult. Each interview had a shadow interviewer so that made things more stressful. Two interviews were deep dives into projects on my resume. They wanted to know each and every detail including why I made certain decisions, what were the tradeoffs, what were the most difficult bugs, what mistakes I made and more technical details. One interview was on system design where they asked me to implement my own web crawler system. Again very technical and deep. I didn't know much about search systems so didn't do very well here. Two interviews focused on coding. First was a Dynamic programming question that I had not seen before. Required a bit of help to realize that it was a DP. Was able to write code after I realized the approach. Second coding question was to find the longest arithmetic progression in an array of integers. This was easy.

Got an offer after one week. The offer was decent. I spoke to some friends of friends working at linkedin and got a sense that it was not a healthy work environment and they weren't very happy. The office space was crowded beyond what it could hold and the environment just didn't seem like a place where I could do my best work.

Interview Questions
    • Dynamic programming question, don't remember the details   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

I had two phone interviews and SIX back to back onsite interviews. The second phone interviewer did not call at the assigned time, I had to track the recruiter - when they finally tracked the guy down, they arranged for another call. The interviewer was clearly frazzled and had no idea how to frame questions - he got lost explaining the question itself!!

Anyways, I aced both phone interviews and go invited to on-site and they scheduled me with the same guy for the first interview. Guess what? He doesn't show up, AGAIN! I sit in the room with my 'oh so cool iPad' waiting, then finally he shows up 45 minutes late and they made him come back again after my last interview.

Total 6 on-site interviews with coding and design questions. The design interviewers weren't really sure on what they were looking for - they didn't even know how to explain the question well or how to probe deeper. After all six interviews (majority of which ended up in the interviewer clearly impressed and one even saying 'hope to see around here soon'. I got a small tour of the company by the recruiter.

The next day recruiter calls me and says that they were very impressed with my interview feedback and wanted to see where I fit and he wil call back and arrange a phone call with a hiring manager and then prepare an offer.

Few hours later the recruiter calls back and tells me that none of the hiring managers found me to be a good fit so they are not proceeding an offer at this time and gave some vague assurances that they will keep looking for a fit (wth?!)

I found the whole interview process totally BACKWARDS. Why would you put a candidate through EIGHT HOURS of interviewing - not to mention waste his entire day and energy - and then have all your interviewers give positive feedback AND THEN find out if he is a good fit or not.

In any mature stable company, that kind of stuff is cleared out BEFORE the first phone interview or DURING the phone interviews or DURING the on-site interviews. Not AFTER the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were standard Software Engineering questions. The 'host manager' asked a lot of 'fitness' related questions. Try to read up on their open source products and prepare to prove that you have built something meaningful in your past.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in October 2012.

A recruiter contacted me via their own website - LinkedIn! A junior recruiter talked to me first and then a senior recruiter called me. The recruiters were courteous and punctual and had taken the time to read my resume and asked interesting questions. I was a little skeptical as being a C++ guy, I had very little java experience. They told me they are language agnostic which sounded ok to me. I was then setup for a technical phone screen which was a most unprofessional experience. The interviewer was late by 22 min. I almost thought they had stood me up. When he called he sounded rushed and it was evident he had not read my resume. He asked me to describe my projects and then cut me off mid-sentence - he was not even interested in my work history. This was followed by some standard java questions which I answered but I also told him I had no java experience and he was taken aback - another sign he had not read my resume. He gave me two programming questions on collabedit, rpn and justify. I coded up the first and he agreed that what I had written would work and as soon as I started the second problem he told me he would be kicked out of the conference room so I had to hurry. So effectively I had less than 40 mins for what was supposed to be an hour long interview. He hung up and told me I had 15 mins to finish the code on the collabedit session which was still live. I got no further input from him and even though I posted comments and questions in the chat in collabedit, I got no reply. He clearly was not reading my code and I should not have bothered. It was not a good experience and the recruiter emailed me a couple of days later and told me I was not a match.

Interview Questions
    • I did not encounter any difficult questions - it was just the unprofessional attitude of the engineer that I was taken aback with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at LinkedIn in July 2012.

After the two phone screens, I had a full day of interviews on site.
    Question around design and problem solving.

Question on how to convey an idea.
    Towards the last two interviews, I got tired of talking.

Interview Questions

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!