LinkedIn Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

86 interviews

3.3

86 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2012.

Hiring process included a telephonic call, and onsite interview with 10 folks. two folks were assigned for every interview (that is 5 interviews). They were piloting an initiative of a junior developer paired with a senior developer, and finally with hiring manager. The recruiter didnot get back, but upon calling multiple times, I got a response saying negative.

Interview Questions
  • Easy css questions, and writing the code for the notifications header of linkedin. No CS or algorithm questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in April 2014.

I applied online, and was later referred by a friend who had gotten an internship offer earlier in the academic year. I first had a phone screen with the recruiter, who then matched me with a team that was tailored to my interests/skills/experiences. I then had a 1-hour technical phone interview with one of the staff software engineers on the team, and was notified of the feedback that night. I was then scheduled for a second technical phone interview that would occur a few days later, which ended up being much more difficult than the first. I then had a third interview, which was mostly informational, with the engineering manager of the team. I got to ask questions about the types of projects the team worked on, the types of projects planned for interns, and the overall environment and culture. Overall, the entire process was very transparent and organized: you know who you are interviewing with (given a link to the interviewer's LinkedIn profile before each interview), and the recruiter was available to answer questions at any point in the process. They were also able to expedite the process for me since I had other competing offers.

Interview Questions
    • Very detailed questions on data structures and algorithms. Certain questions involved designing new data structures and implementing the corresponding interface functions (i.e., insertion, deletion, etc.) from scratch.   Answer Question
    No negotiation; offer was very competitive.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LinkedIn in July 2014.

Applied online, got call from Recuiter and the process was very professional and quick. The hiring manager and HR and Recruiter worked well to accommodate any time restrictions i had. Had initial phone screen with one of the engineers. Used collabedit for the interview/tech phone screen. Questions asked were fairly simple. Check if a String contains a number or not. Other was a backtracking/recursion basic CS question. Also some basic Java questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Applied on Company website. Contacted by HR, scheduled for technical screen. Online technical screen using a collaborative editing tool. Second technical screen by phone, no on line editing.

Scheduled for 5 hour on site. senior manager for position and I had short chat about company culture, then got lunch. Then 4 sets of technical interviews with one or two people asking me questions.

Culture was very exciting to me - the people seemed very enthusiastic about the company and that they would be solving interesting problems that would make a difference in people's lives.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult portion was due to poor time management - I didn't know I was going to be asked to do two whiteboard coding problems and the interviewers had asked me to talk about successes in my career. So 40 minutes of a 60 minute session were taken up before they got to what was important. My advice is to ask interviewers politely what they need to cover in their time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

First I went through a phone interview where they ask me the most basic questions, like what am I working on, what is my strength, ect. Second interview was a more technical phone interview where they ask me to write some class definition online using any programming language I prefer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. They asked questions about data structure and algorithm.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Contacted via linkedin, talked for a bit about what i've done and setup a phone interview. Interview was over the phone with two other interviewers. The question was about returning n closest points on a plane. Interviewers were hard to understand and hung up on minor code related details about the code instead of the general concepts.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Applied online with no internal referral, and a few days later there was a recruiter contacted me.

For the phone interview, I was asked a multi-thread and thread safety question during the phone interview, for which I did not prepare. I was focusing on data structure, algorithm, and design. Given that I did not prepare for this type of questions, I was notified by the recruiter 2/3 days after the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question is on this thread safety, for which i did not prepare before the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

1st call - Phone call with the Recruiter just to talk about what you've done and what currently interests you. Basically to directly communicate with you to see if you'd be a good fit for the company to want to go through the interview process with you

2nd call - Technical phone interview #1 using Collabedit. Given two questions to solve in one hour. First question was to find the lowest common ancestor given two nodes and the second question was to determine if two strings are isomorphic (there exact question can be found on this site)

3rd call - Technical phone interview #2 also using Collabedit. Given two questions to solve in one hour as well. First question was find the largest subsequence given an array that yields the largest sum. The second question was a modification of the first that required me to find the largest subsequence of the given array that yields the largest PRODUCT. Didn't complete the code for the second question in time.

Side note, recruiters were really easy to talk to and really speedy with their response.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected or difficult. If you put the time out to study for LinkedIn, you should be more than fine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at LinkedIn in March 2014.

Contacted by recruiter
    Phone screen by 2 engineer using http://collabedit.com

Interview Questions
    • * Print binary tree level by level
      * Find distance between words in a string
        eg: String => "I am a good girl" distance between "I" and "good" is 3
        View Answers (3)

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at LinkedIn in March 2014.

Interview was an initial phone conversation followed by an onsite interview day. I was interviewed by 5 different people. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel. The interview process was pretty standard. It consisted of a technical coding interview where I had to write code on the white board, followed by a software design interview and then some interviews with the management. I also was given a tour of the campus and given a welcome to your interview pack. Hardest part of the interview was at the end with one of the executives, who tore apart my resume, questioned what I was wearing, swore and made me feel like a fraud!

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!