LinkedIn Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.3

88 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in September 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, who later called me and informally discussed the position they were looking for and asked about my background. After this phone call, the recruiter scheduled an hour-long technical phone interview with two software engineers based on my availability, which happened to be 2 weeks after this initial phone call from the recruiter.

The technical phone screen was conducted using collabedit. First, the interviewer asked about my background and what my favorite project was that I had worked on. Then, the technical questions began. He said, depending on the time, that 2 coding questions would be asked and we had enough time for both questions plus extra time for me to ask them questions. I coded my answers in C++.

I was notified 3 days after the phone screen that they would not be moving forward with me.

Interview Questions
  • Implement double pow(double a, int b) without using any already built-in functions (aka, don't use an already defined pow function).   View Answer
  • Given two (dictionary) words as Strings, determine if they are isomorphic. Two words are called isomorphic if the letters in one word can be remapped to get the second word. Remapping a letter means replacing all occurrences of it with another letter while the ordering of the letters remains unchanged. No two letters may map to the same letter, but a letter may map to itself.

Example:
    Given "foo", "app"; returns true
       we can map 'f' -> 'a' and 'o' -> 'p'
    Given "bar", "foo"; returns false
       we can't map both 'a' and 'r' to 'o'

Given "turtle", "tletur"; returns true
       we can map 't' -> 't', 'u' -> 'l', 'r' -> 'e', 'l' -> 'u', 'e' -'r'

Given "ab", "ca"; returns true
       we can map 'a' -> 'c', 'b'
      View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at LinkedIn in August 2014.

2 telephonic followed by 6 in-house algo/design/coding interviews.

- How to find if nodes in graph are exactly 1/2/3 edges apart. how would you distribute graph across machines.
    - Given set of characters and a string, find smallest substring which contains all characters.
    - Implement a delayed scheduler for jobs using pthread apis (mutex/cond_var)
    - You have bunch of numbers coming in, and a given a window size, how would you save numbers so that you can return number if present in window and provide average for current window.
    - Manager round: You are given bunch of machines with services running on them, how would you improve things. very vague design talk.
    - Reverse words in a string.
    - Implement decimal to roman and vice versa.

Interview Questions
    • 2 person (one senior / one junior) interview panel system at LinkedIn is weird. It is interviewee's responsibility to manage time during interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn in April 2014.

I applied online, and was later referred by a friend who had gotten an internship offer earlier in the academic year. I first had a phone screen with the recruiter, who then matched me with a team that was tailored to my interests/skills/experiences. I then had a 1-hour technical phone interview with one of the staff software engineers on the team, and was notified of the feedback that night. I was then scheduled for a second technical phone interview that would occur a few days later, which ended up being much more difficult than the first. I then had a third interview, which was mostly informational, with the engineering manager of the team. I got to ask questions about the types of projects the team worked on, the types of projects planned for interns, and the overall environment and culture. Overall, the entire process was very transparent and organized: you know who you are interviewing with (given a link to the interviewer's LinkedIn profile before each interview), and the recruiter was available to answer questions at any point in the process. They were also able to expedite the process for me since I had other competing offers.

Interview Questions
    • Very detailed questions on data structures and algorithms. Certain questions involved designing new data structures and implementing the corresponding interface functions (i.e., insertion, deletion, etc.) from scratch.   Answer Question
    No negotiation; offer was very competitive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2012.

Hiring process included a telephonic call, and onsite interview with 10 folks. two folks were assigned for every interview (that is 5 interviews). They were piloting an initiative of a junior developer paired with a senior developer, and finally with hiring manager. The recruiter didnot get back, but upon calling multiple times, I got a response saying negative.

Interview Questions
    • Easy css questions, and writing the code for the notifications header of linkedin. No CS or algorithm questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LinkedIn in July 2014.

Applied online, got call from Recuiter and the process was very professional and quick. The hiring manager and HR and Recruiter worked well to accommodate any time restrictions i had. Had initial phone screen with one of the engineers. Used collabedit for the interview/tech phone screen. Questions asked were fairly simple. Check if a String contains a number or not. Other was a backtracking/recursion basic CS question. Also some basic Java questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Applied on Company website. Contacted by HR, scheduled for technical screen. Online technical screen using a collaborative editing tool. Second technical screen by phone, no on line editing.

Scheduled for 5 hour on site. senior manager for position and I had short chat about company culture, then got lunch. Then 4 sets of technical interviews with one or two people asking me questions.

Culture was very exciting to me - the people seemed very enthusiastic about the company and that they would be solving interesting problems that would make a difference in people's lives.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult portion was due to poor time management - I didn't know I was going to be asked to do two whiteboard coding problems and the interviewers had asked me to talk about successes in my career. So 40 minutes of a 60 minute session were taken up before they got to what was important. My advice is to ask interviewers politely what they need to cover in their time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

First I went through a phone interview where they ask me the most basic questions, like what am I working on, what is my strength, ect. Second interview was a more technical phone interview where they ask me to write some class definition online using any programming language I prefer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. They asked questions about data structure and algorithm.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Contacted via linkedin, talked for a bit about what i've done and setup a phone interview. Interview was over the phone with two other interviewers. The question was about returning n closest points on a plane. Interviewers were hard to understand and hung up on minor code related details about the code instead of the general concepts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at LinkedIn.

Applied online with no internal referral, and a few days later there was a recruiter contacted me.

For the phone interview, I was asked a multi-thread and thread safety question during the phone interview, for which I did not prepare. I was focusing on data structure, algorithm, and design. Given that I did not prepare for this type of questions, I was notified by the recruiter 2/3 days after the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question is on this thread safety, for which i did not prepare before the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LinkedIn.

1st call - Phone call with the Recruiter just to talk about what you've done and what currently interests you. Basically to directly communicate with you to see if you'd be a good fit for the company to want to go through the interview process with you

2nd call - Technical phone interview #1 using Collabedit. Given two questions to solve in one hour. First question was to find the lowest common ancestor given two nodes and the second question was to determine if two strings are isomorphic (there exact question can be found on this site)

3rd call - Technical phone interview #2 also using Collabedit. Given two questions to solve in one hour as well. First question was find the largest subsequence given an array that yields the largest sum. The second question was a modification of the first that required me to find the largest subsequence of the given array that yields the largest PRODUCT. Didn't complete the code for the second question in time.

Side note, recruiters were really easy to talk to and really speedy with their response.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected or difficult. If you put the time out to study for LinkedIn, you should be more than fine.   Answer Question

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!