LinkedIn Web Developer Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Contacted via recruiter. Had a phone screen with HR, and then a phone screen with a Senior Developer. Then had an online code interview via CollabEdit (IF you're interviewing, I strongly recommend becoming familiar with CollabEdit before this step. It's... an interesting tool). Flew out there for an onsite. Everyone was very welcoming. Everyone new be my name and they greeted me with some welcoming swag. Flew back home and received a call two business days later with an offer. You need to be very comfortable with your HTML, CSS, and JavaScript during the on-site. If not, I'm sure this would be very difficult. Lots of whiteboarding.

Interview Questions

• While writing the markup for a page on a whiteboard, I was asked why I didn't use <DL> tags instead of what I had written.   Answer Question
  • Reverse a String in JavaScript. Show us multiple ways to do it. - Whiteboard   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

A recruiter responded to my initial application and lined up a introductory phone conversation. We talked briefly about my experience and interest in LinkedIn. The following week I did a phone interview with two Web Developers which covered some basics of my experience and skill-set. The next week then did two 45 minute coding sessions covering Javascript, HTML, and CSS. Ultimately I had to end the process as I was offered a position at another company before I could do an in person interview which LinkedIn stressed was a requirement for the job. They had previously expressed that I should contact them if my timeline changed. I did, but they were unable to accommodate my timeline.

Interview Questions

• Program a function which determines if one document node contains another node.   1 Answer
    • Build out the basic HTML and CSS required to build a "People You May Know" widget based on a screenshot.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at LinkedIn in February 2015.

Interview

Similar to other people. Contacted me on LinkedIn for phone interview. Got it done quickly because i was expecting other offers soon. Scheduled back to back 45 min code interviews using colabedit. Felt really rushed. People left in the middle of my interview to catch a bus!

Interview Questions

• Make a form, submit it, ajax submit it, add place holder, stop submit from bubbling, make a block grid which on hover each block is an opaque thumbnail and the rest translucent using only CSS, oh and make the block your hovering over appear in a large area overhead.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn InMail. Then after 2 week had my introductory round. After 2 week again had same introductory round from the same recruiter. then he scheduled Technical phone interview. It went good. Interviewer was asking increasing question difficulty gradually. Then they scheduled 2 Code interview of 45-45 min on collabedit. Unfortunately half an hour before my coding interview i receive email that position has been filled.!

Interview Questions

• Difference between JQuery getelement by id vs Javascript.   1 Answer
    • How DOM access its elements   Answer Question
    • Difference between Margin, Box, Padding   Answer Question
    • HTML5 vs HTML4, Basics of DOM and its working, Alternative of JQuery, javascript implementation of ajax etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

A recruiter initially reached out to me through LinkedIn. After a few phone call interviews, I moved on to a few remote skills exercises. I didn't interview for a specific position, instead I was told that the position the company thinks you are best suited for is determined through your interview process (whether you're senior or staff level or whatever). I had two screen-sharing interviews, which were coding exercises where two developers from LinkedIn would give you specific challenges or examples and ask you to solve them / work through them. Each one was about 45 minutes, with 30 minutes of coding and 15 minutes of just questions or introductions or whatnot. The first covered JavaScript, while the second covered HTML and CSS. Even though you're coding in a web interface, the code doesn't compile or actually show UI. I think it's so that you don't get distracted with minutia of making something actually work and instead talk about strategy and overall steps to achieving your goal. After these first skill assessment interviews, I was flown out to Mountain View to interview at their campus. The on-campus interview was pretty much a full day process. I started off with a brief tour of the office and some discussion about the background of the company with one of the people I had exchanged emails with during the early phases of the process. Then I was taken to a meeting room where the rest of my interviews would take place. There were six or seven groups of interviews. The first two were general information about the company and about the team. Then there were 4 technical interviews, each one with a pair of developers (one senior, one junior). Each one addressed different aspects of development - CSS, HTML, JS, etc. There was also a lunch interview, which is when you just grab lunch with another developer. Each of these interviews is about the same format as the phone interviews - about 45 minutes each with 30 minutes or so of coding and 15 minutes or so of general questions. Also, the technical challenges are all done on a whiteboard, without a computer.

Interview Questions

• During my phone JS interview, I got a lot of general CS questions. The questions were a bit frustrating, because they're things you know you can just Google search and find the one-line answer you need without any actual effort. Things like writing a function to determine if a string is a palindrome or writing a function for the Fibonacci sequence - things that don't have any real use and just exist as stereotypical interview questions.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

An internal recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. There was an initial 30min phone call to talk about background and get the gist of how they're setup and the rest of the process. Then was a longer call with a senior developer to talk "shop". Next was a set of technical phone calls/collaborative coding sessions to test basic JavaScript and HTML/CSS skills, nothing too difficult, about 45min each. All of this took place within about 10 business days. They flew me out for an on-site interview (full day 10am-3pm; a series of back-to-back 1-hour technical interviews with devs, mostly white boarding code and logic, with a lunch conversation with the development manager and the day ending with a conversation with their CTO).

Interview Questions

• Given a static comp/mockup, give the basic HTML with relevant classes, etc and explain why you chose to code it the way you did.   1 Answer
    • Given a simple JSON response consisting of an array of 3-4 similar objects made of the same properties w/ differing values, how would you transform them into another given format to be consumed/presented?   1 Answer
    • Given a interaction where hovering a link displays a tooltip of dynamic information (e.g.- Ajax), write the basic functions to perform the lookup (yes, jQuery is allowed) and explain how you'd cache the results so an HTTP request wasn't made if the tooltip already existed.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

1. get the email from the recruiter to schedule an interview 2. 30 min recruiter phone interview 3. 1 hour technical phone interview from two team members 4. 2 45-min online coding sessions 5. onsite

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Got contact from linkedin. One phone interview. I am more backend developer, but they are expect more frontend developer. So field doesn't match. didn't go further. Two interviewers, they were asking all general js and css, html question. Nothing too hard, some of questions are out of my knowledge. Recruiter called me to give me feedbacks, this is every nice.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Since it's first phone interview, they all general question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Had several interviews over phone with the recruiter as well as a couple different phone screens with multiple interviewers on the other end. All pretty straight forward HTML CSS JS questions. Then had an onsite all day loop with both individuals and panels of interviewers at their Mt. View Campus.

Interview Questions

• Analyze a horrible JavaScript function to determine the problems. Essentially a nasty for loop with a setTimeout inside that did a console.log of the loop iterator's value.   3 Answers

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

The process from start to finish was incredible. They are available, informative, and very detailed in everything that put together. The were punctual on all the phone interviews and when I had my on-site interview, they make you feel at home and very welcome.

Interview Questions

• A lot of JS questions are asked. They are very open to jQuery, but be sure you know your vanilla JS basics.   Answer Question

I decided that I did not want to move my family to CA. If I were single or newly married, I would have jumped on this job offer in a minute.