LinkedIn Web Developer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2014

3.3

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

A recruiter initially reached out to me through LinkedIn.

After a few phone call interviews, I moved on to a few remote skills exercises. I didn't interview for a specific position, instead I was told that the position the company thinks you are best suited for is determined through your interview process (whether you're senior or staff level or whatever).

I had two screen-sharing interviews, which were coding exercises where two developers from LinkedIn would give you specific challenges or examples and ask you to solve them / work through them. Each one was about 45 minutes, with 30 minutes of coding and 15 minutes of just questions or introductions or whatnot. The first covered JavaScript, while the second covered HTML and CSS. Even though you're coding in a web interface, the code doesn't compile or actually show UI. I think it's so that you don't get distracted with minutia of making something actually work and instead talk about strategy and overall steps to achieving your goal.

After these first skill assessment interviews, I was flown out to Mountain View to interview at their campus. The on-campus interview was pretty much a full day process. I started off with a brief tour of the office and some discussion about the background of the company with one of the people I had exchanged emails with during the early phases of the process. Then I was taken to a meeting room where the rest of my interviews would take place.

There were six or seven groups of interviews. The first two were general information about the company and about the team. Then there were 4 technical interviews, each one with a pair of developers (one senior, one junior). Each one addressed different aspects of development - CSS, HTML, JS, etc. There was also a lunch interview, which is when you just grab lunch with another developer. Each of these interviews is about the same format as the phone interviews - about 45 minutes each with 30 minutes or so of coding and 15 minutes or so of general questions. Also, the technical challenges are all done on a whiteboard, without a computer.

Interview Questions
  • During my phone JS interview, I got a lot of general CS questions. The questions were a bit frustrating, because they're things you know you can just Google search and find the one-line answer you need without any actual effort. Things like writing a function to determine if a string is a palindrome or writing a function for the Fibonacci sequence - things that don't have any real use and just exist as stereotypical interview questions.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Web Developer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at LinkedIn.

1. get the email from the recruiter to schedule an interview
    2. 30 min recruiter phone interview
    3. 1 hour technical phone interview from two team members
    4. 2 45-min online coding sessions
    5. onsite

Web Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Got contact from linkedin. One phone interview. I am more backend developer, but they are expect more frontend developer. So field doesn't match. didn't go further.
    Two interviewers, they were asking all general js and css, html question. Nothing too hard, some of questions are out of my knowledge.

Recruiter called me to give me feedbacks, this is every nice.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Since it's first phone interview, they all general question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Had several interviews over phone with the recruiter as well as a couple different phone screens with multiple interviewers on the other end. All pretty straight forward HTML CSS JS questions.

Then had an onsite all day loop with both individuals and panels of interviewers at their Mt. View Campus.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze a horrible JavaScript function to determine the problems. Essentially a nasty for loop with a setTimeout inside that did a console.log of the loop iterator's value.   View Answers (2)

Web Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

The process from start to finish was incredible. They are available, informative, and very detailed in everything that put together. The were punctual on all the phone interviews and when I had my on-site interview, they make you feel at home and very welcome.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of JS questions are asked. They are very open to jQuery, but be sure you know your vanilla JS basics.   Answer Question

I decided that I did not want to move my family to CA. If I were single or newly married, I would have jumped on this job offer in a minute.

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at LinkedIn.

Went through a recruiter. Had 2 - 45 minute online coding tests.

Interview Questions
    • Create a native javscript function that adds a class to an element.   Answer Question
    • Create a function that compares 2 objects. (deepEqual)   View Answer

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn in April 2014.

Got a recruiter called for phone interview after couple days applied for this position on Linkedin website. Scheduled for technical interview 2 days later. After first technical phone interview, they scheduled me for one more technical phone interview with other team members. and after that recruiter called me that I did not attend team's expectation.. whole process took around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • explain what is "Graceful degredation versus progressive enhancement", I did not prepare well on this one probably the reason..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

The first interview was a phone screen with the technical recruiter. It was mostly an opportunity to hear about the state of LinkedIn and see if it's a good fit for you. The recruiter asked me about my current skills and roles.

The second phone call was with a two session, 45 minutes each, phone code challenge using collabedit. The questions were both frontend questions about markup, css and javascript. If you know these three intimately, you'll be okay.

The developers I talked with were really great and were really interested in talking through the process with you, so don't get carried away just typing, talk through your process.

The last interview was an onsite.

The recruiter met me at the lobby and walked with me to the interview room and explained to me how the interview process was going to go. They give you an itinerary with everyone's name on it, which is really nice to offload one more thing you have to stress about through the day. We had a great conversation about what the recruiter liked about LinkedIn, about where I currently work and just life in general until my first technical interview.

Each technical interview (of which there were 7 questions), was about an hour, and a mix of culture/skills questions and whiteboard questions. These questions ranged from moderate to difficult, and they all require you to think through the process of solving the problem.

You really need to know html and css with 100% certainty, and you need to know your javascript well. There were two CSS challenges and 5 javascript challenges, almost all of them involved also writing the markup to correlate with them.

Overall, this has been the best interview experience I've ever had, and I've had some really great interview experiences. LinkedIn seems like the kind of place anyone with a passion for development/engineering would love to be.

Interview Questions
    • What features do you see LinkedIn finding valuable?   View Answer

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LinkedIn.

I took the phone interview last week. It was actually pretty easy but I messed it up. Several web development questions. 1. How to check if a form is empty 2. replace all subarrays in an original array which match a given array, replace using another array. For example, we have:
    original array: "aaabbc"
    findarray: "bb"
    replaceArray: "ee"
    After running your function, it should be "aaaeec";

Web Developer Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter over LinkedIn message. Had one phone screen with HR asking about my past experiences and my interest in development. Had a 30 minute phone interview with an employee asking about basic CSS and HTML concepts like box model and tags. Third round included two 45 minute interviews with coding required. First gave a image and asked to code something similar to that layout. Second was more coding, but much more difficult

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm that returns T or F in finding a substring in a string   Answer Question