Liquidity Services

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.3

Office Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Liquidity Services in June 2014.

There was none. They went through a staffing agency to find me and then attempted to tell me for over a month they were going to hire me directly. When that time came, they said they wanted to wait 6 months to see if they had it in their budget to hire me.

The company is clearly going through issues, and I wasn't guaranteed a job within the next 6 months.

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Liquidity Services.

While the interview process was a little long, I totally understand as this is a remote position and it is necessary to be a self motivated, self starter and they really wanted to make sure that the person they chose would be successful.

The process started with an email of 3 questions from one of the companies recruiters. This was followed by a phone interview with the same recruiter and then a phone interview with the manager.

Next was a face to face interview with the same manager. This interview lasted aprox 2 hours. There were normal interview questions and then a number of situational questions. The manager also gave me a lot of information as to what would be expected of the new hire. I was told at this time that I was one of four being interviewed and that there would be two flown to their offices for a final interview.
    About a week later I was informed that they would like me to attend a final interview, they arranged and paid for flights as well as a hotel room as it would take me an entire day to fly there.
    The manager picked me up at the airport, checked me into the hotel and then took me out for dinner. The next morning he picked me up at the hotel and took me to the offices for the interview.
    I met a number of people in the office and had an opportunity to chat with them about the company. I was then interviewed by 5 individuals, all separately, this took about 4-1/2 - 5 hours. (after 3 or 4 of these, lunchtime hit and the manager took me to lunch.)
    When we were all finished the manager took me to the airport and I flew home.

A week later the manager called and informed me that they would be offering me the job, which I accepted.

This was a very positive experience. Everything they told me would happen did.

Interview Questions
    • I can't really say there were any difficult or unexpected questions. During the first phone interview the recruiter mentioned that I could ask questions during the interview process and while he didn't really stress any particular importance, I felt like they were going to be looking at the questions I was asking.
      I spent a lot of time preparing questions for all phases of the interview process.
        Answer Question
    Negotiation was easy. The recruiter told me what I could expect, if chosen, very early in the process and that is exactly what was offered.

Project Manager Interview

phone screening followed by in-person interviews

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Liquidity Services in January 2014.

I applied to this position via LinkedIn, and I received an almost immediate response from an LSI recruiter. I conducted a phone interview with this recruiter, and then had about a 30 minute conversation (each) with three members of the team I'd be working on. I got word that everyone gave me a "thumbs up" and I would be flown to Dallas/Ft. Worth for a face-to-face interview.

This is where things start to get interesting, and will go down as the strangest interview I've ever had.

The invitation to the interview stated (and this is directly from it): "Please wear a suit and tie and bring a copy of your resume. It’s good to arrive approximately 10 minutes early." I'm almost always in professional dress when conducting an interview, so that obviously wasn't a big deal.

The flight they booked was an in/out in the same day, which I didn't object to. I was coming from California though, so I had to get up at about 2:30AM to make the flight. I put my best foot forward though, and mustered a good visual presentation.

They requested I use a taxi from DFW -> an LSI office in Ft. Worth and provide receipts for reimbursement. This office was on the western outskirts of Ft. Worth. I was told that they would personally bring me back to DFW after the interview was complete.

Upon arrival to the office, the hiring manager met me and immediately said "why are you in a suit?". I informed him that LSI's HR dept. explicitly said formal dress required. He said "oh, you fell for that huh". He then told me I could lose the tie and jacket in his office. I removed the jacket, but kept my tie on.

The hiring manager's office had zero furniture except for his chair/desk and a kitchen stool in the corner. He told me to perch myself up on the stool, and so I did. We exchanged pleasantries and then immediately he told me lets go to lunch with the team. We grabbed the other people and headed out to lunch.

Lunch itself was uneventful, and they gave me tips about living in the area and which offices were more convienent depending on where you lived.

We returned to the office, and back into the hiring managers office I went. The hiring manager stated he was a "blunt man" and laid out his concerns for hiring me. All of his concerns were well taken, but why not just do that over the phone? At that point he told me I didn't have the job and thanks for coming out. I had been in Ft. Worth for a grand total of about one and a half hours.

As a parting gift, he tried to ask me a stupid trivia question (IE: why are manholes round type stuff) and I bluntly told him I wasn't going to play trivia at this point. That might sound bad, but I kept it very professional given the situation.

I was told, even though there were about 6 people there, nobody could spare the time to take me back to DFW. It took about an hour, but finally I convinced a cab to come pick me up in this rural area.

I flew home, and on the way got an email from the recruiter that I didn't get the job. I submitted my $160 in taxi fares to LSI, and about 2 months later a check showed up. To this day ...I really can't figure out why they spent a grand on airfare/taxi's to have lunch and tell me "no".

Interview Questions
    • They tried to ask the stupid Microsoft "3 light bulbs" question.   Answer Question

Business Development Director Interview

Lots of phone screens and then several hours of back to back in person interviews

Interview Questions
    • very focused on analyzing previous employer feedback and revenue attainment...to the point of being anal about it   Answer Question

company seems to have a lot of financial stress

Staff Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Liquidity Services.

Everyone one was reallly nice excpet for one of the finance managers. Extremely rude asking me why the previous company I worked in was so small and trying to intimidate me the whole time.

Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Liquidity Services in November 2013.

My Recruiter was great! he did a great job selling the company, explaining the role, giving me insight on exactly what they were looking for and he stayed in contact with me throughout the entire process. The entire process took about three weeks, I had quite a few phone interviews before I was asked to go in and have an in person interview, which I thought was a little odd, but now I know they wanted to make sure they found the right fit, not just the right skills.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself and how you got to where you are in 7 minutes, you must speak for 7 minutes and keep me engaged, I'm watching the clock, go.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate, value what you are worth.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Liquidity Services in October 2013.

I was contacted by an internal recruiter to find out my willingness to pursue the position. I did an initial phone screen with the Recruiter then another with my prospective Director. I did a final technical interview with my manager. 3 days later I received an offer, very easy process.

Directory of Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Liquidity Services in July 2013.

I was phone screened by HR initially. She did not have a lot of knowledge of the subject matter, so I spent time educating her on the role, which I hoped would help her be an advocate for me within the company.

She arranged for a Skype interview between me and the VP for the Director position. This happened over a holiday as he was unavailable any other day.

A week later, I was invited in to the office to meet 4 other members of the team and extended team (who would be peers to this position) in 2 one hour sessions with two members of the team in each session. A senior member and a junior member of the team were in each session.

After that, I spoke with the original VP again, and he explained that it was a close race between me and another candidate. In order to make sure we really understood the role, and to compare apples to apples, he asked us to both prepare a Project Management Plan, a very in-depth analysis and plan of an upcoming (fictitional) project. I worked up my PMP and submitted it, and a few days later again met over Skype with the VP and "presented it" as if he were the committee I would be presenting it to in the usual course of business.

My feedback was very positive. However, a few weeks later I heard back that while I was a terrific fit, the other candidate was just a bit better of a fit.

Frankly, I was fine with it because I hadn't been keen on other aspects of the company in the first place. I had participated in the PMP more because I was curious about their process, which was interesting and a worthwhile process.

Considering the role and responsibility, I think it was a fair process, certainly more in-depth than I am used to. I hope the candidate they hired works out for them, and I am glad to be considered with them.

Interview Questions
    • Instead of the usual "what is your greatest weakness", it was slightly slanted to say "while we have the impression that you try very hard to be successful and make your projects successful, when has a project NOT been successful, despite your greatest efforts."   Answer Question

Manager Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Liquidity Services in July 2013.

HR rep started with the statement " we are having trouble filling out this position" went on to describe how many other companies this one acquired. And that this position require a lot of travel to remote sites and work with a lot of new people.
    detailed question - how many new team members are in the team - answer - "well about 3-4. one in Japan one in Colorado".
    Then she went into systems' integration and experience digging. Covering from data strategy, online processing, ERP migration to project management and i already forgot what else.

Each of the requirements is highly important and extremely visible.

Bottom line:
     based on the this conversation and other reviews - management has no idea how to set a direction and priorities for the team. typical sweat shop.
    sorry for employees; glad they didn't extend the offer would denied it anyway.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult questions - just listen to what they say..   View Answer