Lithium Technologies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Senior Technical Writer
Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in April 2013.

Interview Details – I spoke with five people (VP Engineering, VP Product Management, UX team member, Sr. Product Owner, Sr. Tech Pubs Manager). Each for about 45 minutes. Lots of questions about working in an Agile environment.

Interview Question – All pretty straightforward. No surprises   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Senior QA Engineer
Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process is long. I had one phone screen, one onsite visit, two skype interviews and one phone interview. There were delays in getting back to me about next steps.

The hiring process involves a background check that goes back 10 years. Make sure you have all your former addresses and employers. There is also online training of about 4 hours that you are expected to do before your first day. I was a little annoyed by this, but the benefit's of having been fully screened ahead is that everyone else is checked for having integrity for their facts before they come on and the time you spend before your first day understanding the product and the customer helps you when you have your on-boarding buddy bringing you up to speed.

Interview Question – They are looking for people who are smart and professional in approaching and solving a problem collaboratively. I can't say that I found any questions difficult, but I have been going to meetups on QA and I had a lot of ideas about the latest and greatest in QA from my peers to pull from in the innovation questions about how to grow process and testing to the next level and still support the legacy code/customers.   Answer Question

Marketing Digital Interview

Marketing Digital
Emeryville, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Lithium Technologies.

Interview Details – I spoke to the manager A on the phone and A seemed friendly. I was a bit hesitant on the phone as A mentioned he loved their site which is pretty terrible. He also began talking about the role and it became clear he didn't know what this person should be doing. He asked I review and make suggestions about their sites when I came in.

Met with A, he asked my opinion about their marketing and sites, which I was honest about. A didn't actually want to hear truthful opinions instead wanted to hear that his new site circa 2005 was awesome.

I think Lithium has some strong obstacles ahead of them if they continue to employ fairly mediocre people. They have reposted this job 8 times with a new title each time. I'm not sure they actually want to fill it with anyone who will actually make it perform and optimize it for better community etc. Also I'm not sure if they even know what this person should do. They just know they should have one.

Interview Question – Do you like our site?   Answer Question

Vice President, Product Management Interview

Vice President, Product Management
Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in March 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter contact, attention and followup were prompt and efficient. Interviewed with the founder - he didn't rush the interview and we had a very civilized discussion that covered all business value chain functions and their integration.

My take was that product management was an area that the founder did not yet want to 'let go of" - not atypical in startups but unexpected from a 10+-year old company. Their PM to ENG ratio was 1-30ish, which is twice the average.

Great company, relaxed workplace, about a 2.5 of 5 on the CMMi scale, growing 100% in the next year so plenty of opportunities there. Just was not a good fit for a senior PM with 20+ years experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here if you've been a co-founder of a dozen other startups?   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in May 2012.

Interview Details – After finding the posting for some project-based work in the marketing department, I had coffee with an acquaintance (and LinkedIn connection) to learn more about Lithium, whom to address my cover letter to, and so forth. I submitted my resume and work samples, and then . . . nothing.

A month later I got a call from a Marketing Manager A, who said something along the lines of "Hey, I've had your resume and stuff in my bag for a month, finally got around to reading through, and was wondering if you'd be interested in talking?" I had given up hope, but said sure, and then we had a very pleasant half-hour phone interview, and then set up an in-person interview with two other managers.

Manager B was really personable, asked interesting questions, and I thought we had good rapport. (However, this person had only been there for a few months.) Then Manager C came in, and while I didn't feel like I connected as well with Manager B, it was really difficult to read body language because all I could see was the reflection of this person's laptop screen in their glasses. Granted, Manager B was (I think) looking at my web site, and that of one of my past employers, but regardless, it was really uncomfortable attempting to talk to someone who mostly wasn't looking at me. It made me wonder how this person got where they are with such odd interpersonal skills. Or maybe that's why this person works in the computer business.

Anyway, the next day I sent a thank-you email to Managers B and C, and after not hearing anything for a few days, left a voicemail for Manager A as well.

[Final update: finally got an email back today, after my second-follow-up. They decided to go with someone else, and honestly I'm not that disappointed. I didn't feel valued as a candidate, and it's hard to conclude that the projects I'd have worked on would be valued either.]

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in August 2011.

Interview Details – 2 Skype interviews and then 1 all day onsite. basic resume drilling, future interests and coding questions.

Interview Question – Why social media?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in April 2012.

Interview Details – I met with hiring manager and 4 other employees. They asked very engaging questions but not too many typical interview questions. Most were around social media, how I can solve problems and collaborate with the team. Overall impression: a hard working and genuine team.

Interview Question – Tell me the process how you would solve a business change involving multiple stakeholders.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I based it on my current salary. They initially offered way below but met above my current W2. Overall very pleasant process. Be honest because they are.

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Interview

Sales
Emeryville, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in October 2010.

Interview Details – Had to present the company to a panel of "experts" that were with the organization and considered top management. They are all gone now.....every last one of them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – None

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Human Resources Business Partner
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in November 2011.

Interview Details – The head of staffing called me a few days after receiving my resume. I came in to meet with five, very smart, and friendly people the following week. I received an offer soon after my in-person round. Great experience!!

Interview Question – Questions were thoughtful and conversational. Very experienced interview team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very, very happy with the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Build/Release Engineer Interview

Build/Release Engineer
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Lithium Technologies in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email from the hiring manager. I didn't consider myself a perfect match for the position but wanted to have them keep me in mind for future positions. Doing build/release is just one of the many hats I've had to wear as a career systems engineer so I was really curious about the company and what its business model was. The hiring manager could not have been more pleasant. She was extremely candid about what the company did and what they were looking for. Phone-screenings can be nerve-wracking and this experience was anything but that. I hope they will keep me in mind. I didn't expect an offer but it was really nice of the hiring manager to take a little time out and discuss the company and how they implement their build and release processes as well as the company's products and goals.

Interview Question – Have you used CVS in the past?   View Answer

Worked for Lithium Technologies? Contribute to the Community!