LivingSocial Account Executive Interview Questions

3.1

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lancaster, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in August 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter through my linked in account. I had the first phone interview which is just really learning more about you, your skills, and learning more about the position. Passed that and had a 2nd phone interview a week later. That was a mock pitch phone interview. Was asked to create some deals ahead of time for this interview as well and share those deals over the phone. After reviweing the deals, was given a fake company and had to do a pitch over the phone. Had great feedback and was invited to DC the next week for 1on1 interviews. My first interview in the morning was actually with someone who worked in their web development department and this is just a get to know you type interview. I thought a little strange because he had no clue about what my job would entail as a sales person, but I understand they are tyring to get a feel from all aspects of their company as to who they are hiring. Second interview was with 3 people and you are asked to give a mock pitch on a business that they choose. Before arriving in DC they will give you a prep pack that has 3 different business's for your mock pitch. You will not know which business they will ask you to pitch going into it. I thought I did pretty well through the pitch and was asked to come back later on in the day for a 3rd interview. The 3rd interview is reviewing your resume and asking more questions to see how knowledeable you are about LivingSocial and their business model. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! I thought everything went great, but I just received my email saying I would not be getting an offer from them at this time. Very disapointed as I was very positive and really wanted this position. Lilving Social was first class all the way and their interview process while a bit out of the box will get is basically like most interviews for sales positions. My advice, do your homework on the company and it's competitors and have a plan in place on how you reach your sales goals ahead of time. They really want you to break down your numbers i.e. how many calls will it take to get to x number of appointments so you can make a sale and reach monthly goals.

Interview Questions
  • Why choose Living Social over Groupon?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LivingSocial

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LivingSocial in July 2011.

Interview process was much like a cattle call, being moved from one interview room to another for approximately 5 hours. Process could have been performed by one individual with some business knowledge and over the age of 30. Being a District Manager for a competitor and being over the age of 40 with 20 years experience being asked basic questions by kids in their 20's was insulting. I couldn't believe I was actually asked by someone interviewing me what B2B was. I wouldn't have hired that person for a receptionist position yet she was interviewing me. Out of the 30 individuals that interviewed with me only 3 where called back for second interviews, all under 30, except me, with very little experience. Seasoned sales people should not waste their time if they are over 35 interviewing with this company.

Interview Questions
    • I couldn't believe an early 20 something female was asking me what B2B was on my resume. As a former District and Regional Manager for GM I was shocked and saddened I was wasting my time with interviewing with them.   Answer Question

I prefer to work for a company that has experienced management personnel in their ranks. Although I know this company is young and growing I did not wish to be the father of my employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in July 2011.

I was wondering if anyone gets hired that wasn't invited to stay in DC for the 3rd round of the interview process? I went for the first 2 which went okay but was told I could head to the airport after that. From what I have read it appears that if you do not get asked for the 3rd you don't get an offer. Since they tell you that being invited to the 3rd or not being invited is not an indicator of whether or not you get the job....I was curious to see if anyone out there has gotten an offer from only 2 interviews while in DC?????? Thanks!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LivingSocial in April 2011.

All communication is done by email and the joblink online tool used to organize and track all progress. They are looking for sales people to live in the area they would sell in. The initial screening is about your level of cold calling, quota experience and honors/awards. Having some target accounts and business challenges would be a wise idea. Good luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at LivingSocial in March 2011.

Thanks to this site, I was pretty well prepared for the circus they put you through.

First of all, let me state that I love the business model and it's a vehicle that really works. Because it works they are growing so fast they have forgotten about cusomer service. Many of my current clients couldn't even get a call back. As a customer myself, I was put off by the lack of customer support and the flippant kid on the other end of the phone when a refund was not delivered.

The interview was three calls where I did a mock pitch. Easy. The people on the other line were the ones who got off subject but I passed and all was well. The next step is a series of emails to get you to DC. I can take a shuttle so why put me up in a hotel? Well there was no choice so I went and by the way I have never paid for my own meals before, what was that all about?

The first of three interviews was with a kid that had to be a recent college grad. While I look young, I am old enough to be his mother. He asked me questions that really had nothing to do with my qualifications but to see if I fit into the culture. Nice kid, but with so little life experience, how can he be a judge?

The second was with two very young ladies and the role play began. Easy, similar to the phone.

If you get the green light, you are asked to entertain yourself for three hours three inch heels. This bothered me because I could have had the entire thing done in an hour and been in my own bed but that is no how they do it.

The third was with three upper level management and I have to say, not so friendly. No questions about my qualifications, my successes or references. The questions were: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "If you had to choose career growth or financial reward which would you choose?"

Anyway I did not get the offer but even if I had, I wouldn't have gone for it. Although a great concept, they want people with unlimited time and probably no family or kids because I got the impression they want to hammer you to deliver a very high volume of 20 new sales a month. The base of $40K is small and there is no expense account or any guarantee your advertiser will run so I viewe this as some one else having control over how much commission you make..

This would be a good fit for a high energy young, single professional who has not yet proven themselves in the ad world and who would put up with unrealistic demands.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose career growth or financial rewards, which would you choose?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in February 2011.

I went online and filled out application that asked me " What makes you a good sales person" and "what was your most difficult sale and how did you go about wining the client" in so many words. I soon got an email from them requesting a phone interview. This interview was more of a question and answer, very basic, first string. Nothing too hard for anyone who has been on a job interview or has had a seasoned sales career. She was very pleasant and respectful.

The second phone interview that would consist of my "pitching" a product to the interviewer. She also informed me of a 40k base plus commission. I asked about the earning potential of a typical sales person in a demographic roughly the size of mine and she stated that a rep in Colorado Springs, CO was making "six figures". Now that demographic is smaller than mine so this was all I needed to hear. However, there was never any mention on how anything worked from that point on. I spoke briefly with the interviewer and was given a hair salon as my pitch. She had told me we had set the appointment via phone and I was coming in to speak with her. I was given a tip that this person had used a social media site like Living Social before and was not super happy with the outcome. I went into my sale working from the hints given to me by the previous HR representative who said to "qualify", "answer questions" , "listen", and "close with a follow up appointment". The HR rep was tough and this was not an "easy" sale by any means. I was asked questions that I would not have known the answer to in order to "trip me up" to see how I would react. I am ASSUMING this was done to see how we would handle ourselves under pressure and/or how we would think on our feet. It would be a bit disconcerting to someone who isn't relatively seasoned in sales. I was given good feedback and the HR person filled me in on the items I did not know i.e. how big my region was as far as subscribers and how long it took for them to mail the check to the client.

I was cleared to move on to the next round which was another email that asked me to come to DC for an interview. I was emailed a list of three possible businesses and asked to study them. I was also told I would be given a prep call to walk through these options and to deliver another mock pitch which I would not be graded upon. I was given the option of calling in on the day I was to drive up to DC for my in person interview. I called in and learned that the material I was sent was not the right list of business choices. They emailed me again and told me to study for a few hours and call back that evening. So that evening I do another role play and she gives me feedback and I feel confident and at ease for the interview.

I walk over to the offices in the morning. There are many candidates coming and going that day and many are from all over the country. I am quickly taken to a class walled room where I meet with a young lady (mid 20s at most). She did not ask me much that would have allowed her to get a great read on me to be honest. She asked about the most recent offer they did for a local diner in my city and I told her that it would not have been a restaurant I would have chosen as having worked for Yelp! she could see that I did not give it a positive review or recommend it myself to my fans. Let me explain that they keep beating the drum that they are way more upscale then Groupon and have a stringent way of choosing which companies would be allowed to be featured on LivingSocial. Well, I can honestly say, without reservation, this place they chose was a diner themed restaurant with 2-3 star food and service. I would never have chosen it if I had worked for LivingSocial. She seemed taken aback at my honesty but I am no liar and answered truthfully.

It was all very cordial and I as picked up by the young lady with the clip board and bought directly into another room across the hall with three sales managers. There was a guy from LA who complimented me on my suit and 2 other ladies. All seemed mid 30s to early 40s is my best guess. One lady was quiet an the other turned out to be in my region. All were very nice and I went into my pitch and was told I "nailed" it. I asked if they had any feedback and they said "no" and asked me if I had any questions. I asked what the process was if we were to get an offer and she stated that I would be bought back to DC for training and then train with a local person in the field. I also asked about hiring dates as I had to finish a project for my current company, and she said it would be worked out upon the offer being given. I was then escorted to a table where the girl with the clipboard told me I was her "favorite" of the day and she was sure I would get an offer. I asked her how she knew and she said it was a feeling she had. I thanked her and she told me it was a 1 to 2 week process of getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult sale and how did you land it eventually. What were the challenges you faced and how did you over come them?   View Answer

The rushed, impersonal way in which the candidates were interviewed. It was seriously like a "cattle call" I also was able to observe the working conditions of those in the office and seeing how they all worked at large work tables with zero privacy or personal space, I decided this was not a company that really cared for its employees. I also reviewed feedback on this web site and it was the nail in the coffin. They maybe be young, fun, and cool as perceived by those on the outside, but they are also a highly organized machine caught up in a super aggressive growth mode and they need bodies to fill the positions in the cities they have opened up already, not to mention the UK and Australia. Further, the 20 a month sales quota was/is ridiculous and there is no disclosure as to how you earn your commission or what that potential is. Lastly, there was no application filled out of disclosure of drug testing or background/credit checks anywhere to be found. It just seemed all a little "on edge" for my tastes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in January 2011.

The reviews of the interview process on here are accurate. I dealt with very competent, professional and responsive recruiters and hiring managers. After 3 phone interviews they arranged for me to fly to Washington DC. The people in Washington DC were amazing! I left so excited about coming to work for their company and was very anxious to receive an offer.

About a week later I received a call from a "Regional Sales Director" from Chicago. The guy was pushy and slightly rude, but said he'd be happy to send me their offer. He emailed it to me and told me I had 24 hours to reply. I called him back and asked for specifics (for some reason he was unwilling to release the terms of their commission structure -- RED FLAG!!) He was also unable to release any information about what LivingSocial was doing to market itself or provide leads to their sales force (RED FLAGS!) He said he couldn't discuss the terms of the agreement until it was signed (WHAT?)

At the beginning of the interview process I was told that their monthly sales exec quota was 12-15 deals per month with a 50k/year base. The formal offer I received stated that the quota was 20 deals/month for a 40k/year base (RED FLAG!!) I assumed that this Sales Director was earning a bonus based on low-balling recruits and bringing them in for less. I wrote up and submitted a counter-offer. The Sales Director quit returning my calls and emails. No more communication was ever received from LivingSocial. I was out of the country for 2-weeks and when I returned I officially declined their offer. They are still advertising open positions in my market.

I interviewed and dealt with 15+ people at LivingSocial. I've been in B2B sales for over 10 years now and have never soured on an opportunity so quickly. I understand that they are growing fast but I can't imagine that they'll continue to succeed as the market becomes saturated and the novelty of daily deals begins to wear off. Luckily, I avoided inking a deal with them and retained my current job. Job hunter beware!

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to a business owner that didn't believe in the merits of online advertising?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in October 2010.

This company doesn't have it together. Its unfortunate because they seem to be heavily funded.

I began with 2 phone interviews that I had to call into. the 1st was a basic interview, the 2nd was a phone pitch. After nailing both interviews, they flew me to D.C where I was to have 2-3 face to face interviews, one being a sales pitch, the others being basic canned question interviews.

On the morning of, I find out that everyone running the show were college kids literally right out of college. I did not meet a single person who was with the company longer than 5 months. The "senior level VPs", had zero experience in sales and were given the responsibility to hire or deny sales talent based on some unknown criteria. Needless to say, you can assume that lots of extremely talented sales professionals have slipped right through their fingers.

so, i interview with the first guy and its a basic 5 minute interview. Then i get to the pitch and i nail it (been doing this for 12 years as a top producer in the top 5% of the past two companies ive worked for in online advertising sales), then i get to my 3rd interview with these 3 kids.....

They ask me questions like "what do you think makes a livingsocial rep successful. Of course I don't know this, and neither do they considering how short of time they have been with the company. So I give them an answer that illustrated what makes ANY outside sales rep successful. (Will, desire to succeed, time management, product knowledge, etc). Then he asked me again, as if he was looking for a particular answer. This guy had no idea that the things I outlined are universal in outside sales, and without training and knowing very little about the company, the only accurate answer you can give to canned questions are canned answers. Another question they asked was "what kind of businesses would you NOT solicit?" Again, how could anyone know this without having worked for the company? what works? what doesn't? who knows at this point, right? My answer was car dealers, finance guys, etc. the next thing I know, the kid begins to ask me about who I would prospect and what not. I explain to him how i would go after lesser-know restaurants, salons, cosmetic dentists, and well established resort style hotels because they need to get their name out a more economical way, and lifetime customer value will strongly benefit them in the long run. he proceeded to argue against my answers without knowing that I came up with these answers based on the businesses that have been featured in my market on livingsocial's website! it was profoundly comical.

By the end of the interview, I knew right away that I was not going to get an offer. The kids were too motivated to flex their ego than try to find successful candidates.

The thing I couldn't get passed was how much the kids were bragging about the company spending $20k-$30K PER WEEK on flying people in for interviews. Thats not an encouraging thing in business. Its actually kind of a red flag. especially in these times. there are go 2 meetings, skype, etc. all more economical and more time efficient ways to accomplish their interviewing objectives.

I, myself have been VERY successful in online ad sales for the past 4 years averaging 125k per year on my w2s and I'm 31 years old. I have developed well over 300 contacts over the years that will be great prospects for this kind of model, and THAT makes me very excited about my new job with their biggest competitor.

If you get asked to fly to DC, DO NOT GO! they just make you wait forever then interview with inexperienced college kids that wouldn't know a rockstar sales person if he were sitting right in front of them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in April 2010.

I was first contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn who viewed my resume. Apparently, as I found out later, they contacted several of my past co-workers for the same position. After an initial phone interview, I was then asked to submit a 30 second video of why I would want to work for their company. The next step, they flew me out to Baltimore, MD for a face to face group interview where I was asked to give a presentation on one of 3 chosen companies. I received a letter to come back an hour later for a 2nd interview, which was one on one with a different person. It seemed things went very well but I never did receive an offer after returning home. They did, however, hire my co-worker for the position. Overall, it was a great experience and the most thorough interview process I have been through. Unfortunately, I recently applied for the same position and after receiving a request for another phone interview, I was told that they cannot interview me for the position if I have already done so.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult. I was asked where I see myself in 5 years and what I think it would take to succeed as an account rep for their company.   Answer Question
    • We had to study a sheet of 3 companies and they chose which one we would give a presentation.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in May 2009.

Rigorous interview process, but impressed with the entire outfit. Upon uploading a resume to their website, if you're a good candidate, you will be contacted by phone to setup an initial interview. Once I passed that interview, I was flown to Washington DC (on their dime), placed in a nice hotel, and shuttled to the Living Social home office along with a van load of other candidates. Once there, you are put through a private interview. If you make a good impression, you then sit through a group interview. If you still make a good impression, you are given the opportunity to present a mock sales presentation and closing. Final selections are made after you go back home.

Interview Questions
    • Mock presentations are always nerve wracking. Study up on the company and prepare something ahead of time that you can adjust if necessary.   Answer Question