LivingSocial Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.1

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in May 2009.

Interview

Rigorous interview process, but impressed with the entire outfit. Upon uploading a resume to their website, if you're a good candidate, you will be contacted by phone to setup an initial interview. Once I passed that interview, I was flown to Washington DC (on their dime), placed in a nice hotel, and shuttled to the Living Social home office along with a van load of other candidates. Once there, you are put through a private interview. If you make a good impression, you then sit through a group interview. If you still make a good impression, you are given the opportunity to present a mock sales presentation and closing. Final selections are made after you go back home.

Interview Questions

• Mock presentations are always nerve wracking. Study up on the company and prepare something ahead of time that you can adjust if necessary.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for LivingSocial

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in October 2013.

Interview

The initial interview is covered by an HR person who spends 20 mins on the phone with you before passing on to the hiring manager. The response time is poor and I found the HR person to "spring interviews" on you--like, are you available for an hour tomorrow? Then the response time to your questions or scheduling can be days or even beyond a week before a response. Currently still interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too out of the ordinary for a sales role position. Very curious about the flow of a mock interview...   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in October 2012.

Interview

I went through a phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. Then another phone interview that included a Mock Interview for a potential customer/vendor. Followed by another phone interview with a senior manager who then pushed me along to an Interview at the headquarters in D.C. which seemed like speed dating. Finally I had an interview on their values and I how I can relate to the company.

Interview Questions

• How would I find my market?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They gave me the job, I had 2 days to decide. I accepted asap. They then emailed me that they were so excited to meet me orientation....

They then called me ONE day later and terminated my acceptance because higher ups had a brainfart and decided regardless of putting multiple people who may or may not have had jobs during the interview process that they would decline the job offer and pull it back.

So I had a job..... left my job for Living Social.... Then had NOTHING.

Living Social's rep basically said I am sorry and it is out of my hands.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in September 2012.

Interview

Series of phone interviews from a contracted recruiter. Phone interview with Regional Sales Director

Interview Questions

• What separates Living Social from other opportunities like Groupon?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in March 2012.

Interview

I saw the ad on linked in and thought I'd send my resume over. The recruiter was really nice and I had a phone interview with her. I then had an interview with a gentleman who was late not once but twice to the conversation and really didn't think anything of it. I thought it was very unprofessional like my time wasn't valuable. After that bad experience, I got to role play with another hiring manager and she didn't even get involved in the role play at all! She just sat there and since role playing on the phone for an outside sales job is a waste of time, I declined to go further. Just too unprofessionally handled for me.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in December 2011.

Interview

Received an email after submitting my resume online, scheduled my first interview for the next week.

Unfortunately the interview did not go as well as I had hoped, but I knew it was a stretch since I have minimal sales experience.

Interview Questions

• What will be the biggest challenge that you will face in the field?   Answer Question
    • What kind of experience do you have with CRM systems?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process began with 3 phone interviews from the same recruiter. The first phone interview was basic and informational. The second interview was more in depth and focused more on my resume and experiences. I was also asked to name 3 businesses off of the top of my head that would be a good fit for a daily deal feature. The third interview was a mock pitch to the merchant of my choice. I was also asked to give an example of 3 deal suggestions to 3 different merchants. At the end of the mock pitch I was invited to fly into DC.

There was a lot of uncertainty in the air at the DC offices. You sit in a waiting room with about 15 other people and behind the glass walls of their offices - which are very casual. One guy wasn't even wearing shoes. With the exception of the people who are interviewing you, no one in the office will even glance at you - so don't bother being friendly and saying hello.

There were 3 - 20 minute interviews. First interview was another pitch (similar to the phone interview) in front of two people. Second interview was with a second pair of managers who discussed different parts of my resume and asked questions on what I thought it would take to be successful in the position. We also discussed the 60 day plan that you are required to bring along to your interview (under 2 pages). The last 20 minute interview was with one person who asked questions such as "what would you do if --?" and "how do you feel about --?" None of the interviewers offered any feedback or opinions on how they felt about my background or experiences or how I even did on the mock interview.

Overall it was a great experience. As I mentioned, there is a very strong air of uncertainty throughout, however I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and walked away having met quite a few interesting people who were also flown in from all over the country.

Interview Questions

• I have never advertised before and my restaurant is full every single night. I don't need your services.   3 Answers

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in October 2011.

Interview

Same experience as several have described here. Initial phone interview was about 20 minutes and included a basic overview of the position and my qualifications. Interviewer kept me on speakerphone for the entire call and was clearly distracted by another task while we spoke. Second interview was 30 minutes, also by phone, with another recruiter. This one was more professional but seemed unfamiliar with the position for which I applied as she was unable to answer most of my questions. I was then invited to travel to DC for in-person interviews. Before I was even able to make the travel arrangements I received an e-mail stating that an offer had been made to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for LivingSocial?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in September 2011.

Interview

My interview process was consistent with the other reviews here on glassdoor. I applied online and was emailed a few days later by recruiter #1 to set up a 30 minute phone interview. I had a very professional, enjoyable chat with the guy and he gave me broad info about the job and I answered standard questions about my sales background and rankings. He was not able to give me details about the territory or the commission structure. He asked me if I'd be interested in moving forward and explained the next step would be a mock pitch with recruiter #2 and then possibly a face to face interview in DC. I told him I wanted to move forward and received an email from recruiter #2 a few hours later. I had my second phone interview later that week. Again, I was very happy with how professional and friendly the recruiter was. She asked me more detailed questions about my background...really getting into what sets me apart from others and ideas I might have for working the territory. She told me she wanted me to pitch to a hair salon and we started that process. I had researched the details - how daily deals work for the customer and merchant - and had paid close attention to what recruiter #1 had said about what differentiates LivingSocial from the competition. She didn't let me close her but I got her to agree to a call to action. She gave me some great feedback about my pitch and I took her suggestions seriously so I could modify it for my face to face interview. She said she wouldn't have any problem bringing me forward and that I would hear from LS whether I'd go to DC in a few days. I got an email 2 days later from an admin at LS inviting me to interview in DC. She gave me a link to the travel website and I got to arrange my own flights and bill it directly to LS. She arranged for a car service to pick me up from the airport. Incidentals and meals are not covered or reimbursed by LS. Also, she emailed me an info packet about DC, sales aids, and instructions to prepare a 60 day ramp up plan and a mock pitch for 3 businesses (the interviewers would choose which business I would pitch). I flew to DC and spent the night at a hotel close to the office. The next morning I walked to the LS office and there were 10-15 other people interviewing from all parts of the US for the same role all waiting in a reception area outside the office. The candidates varied in age from late 20s to early 40s and were friendly and polished - typical sales. I was called back and interviewed with a male lawyer in his late 20s with a timer set for 20 minutes. He asked typical questions about my background. We reviewed my 60 day plan and I was ushered back out to the waiting area. Next, I was called back again and interviewed with 2 female managers. They had a timer set for 20 minutes and after a quick exchange of background info they asked me to pitch the steakhouse to them as if we were all meeting for the first time. They had objections about wanting to get the right type of customers and how much the deal would cost them. One of the managers said I'd be returning for afternoon interviews and sent me back outside to the waiting area. I knew from glassdoor that being asked back for the afternoon was a good sign. Apparently, the successful candidates are asked back and I felt really good about how all of this was going...no curveballs. I arrived in the waiting area and everybody who remained were excited to be there and knew it was a good sign. I was called back to do a quick technology test - I had to create a new contact in salesforce, look up something on yelp, and use google to research a deal. Next, I had my final interview with another set of 2 female managers. One of them appeared bored and was trying not to yawn during our talk. This step consisted of more info exchange - why I want to work there, what kinds of deals would I do, what would the merchant mix look like, etc. They had a timer, too, and before I knew it - the 20 minutes were up. I left feeling great and met the admin who had set up my travel on the way out and thanked her for how smoothly my trip had gone. This was an intense but fun day and I had put a lot of preparation and thought into my pitch, 60 day plan, and learning the business. I was really surprised to receive a cookie-cutter rejection email a week later.

Interview Questions

• What makes LivingSocial different from other daily deal sites?   Answer Question
    • What would a week of deals submitted by you look like? Be specific.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at LivingSocial in September 2011.

Interview

First Interview was screening, recruiter talked more than I did, and had to call back for another interview to get MY info, Second phone interview the recruiter never came on the call.. had to resechedule 3 times. They say they are not having a lot of turn over. I hear differently.
    The interview process was totally impersonal, and robotic. The role play was very impersonal. did not afford enough time to really let someones skills shine... I am a seasoned sales professional in Media, and I see they are hiring young people with not a ton of sales experience. I was not impressed at all with the recruiter on the second call... very dismissive, not engaging at all very robotic.
     Sales expectations are pretty crazy for a crowded space like this. they want 20 deals a month.. thats one per day! If you want to interview with these guys do your home work ,and have ideas of what kind of deals you would create in your hood.

Interview Questions

• Interview 1 was basic.. did not ask a lot of questions, Interview 2 was a role play and they asked me 3 times if I had questions which I did not at this stage of the interview process.   Answer Question
    • in role play , be prepared to overcome objections on the ROI of a deal.   Answer Question