LivingSocial Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.9

Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at LivingSocial.

Responded to a job posting from LS on Monster.com. Recruiter responded in less than a week -- very quickly! Interview was scheduled promptly with e-mail confirmation. Interview was with two staff members who asked a few questions. Very low pressure, easygoing recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Recruiters asked to do a quick role play of a scenario where they were the customer and I was the call center rep, and needed to help them. Unexpected, but I even made a little mistake during, and they let me start over, possible assuming that I Was just nervous.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate salary as it was already set for that position. Position was temporary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in August 2014.

I applied for the Inside Sales Rep via the website, and a friend working there also recommended me. I was contacted by a recruiter on the phone and went through the interview. She was incredibly enthusiastic about me, and then let me know that there were actually no job openings available, but hopefully there would be soon. She called three more times to check up on my job search and make sure I was still interested in working with LivingSocial. On the third call, she let me know that people had been promoted so they were "so excited" to have me come in for the interview, and sent me an interview package with questions that I should prepare for. I went in, and there was a plethora of just out of college kids also waiting to be interviewed. I am mid-career, having been laid off about 7 months ago and looking for a career change to a more stable industry. I went in for my first interview and the interviewers were very concerned that I hadn't had the type of sales experience where you are calling a hundred people a day. I explained that while it wasn't directly sales, I had had job experience where I was calling over 100 people a day to negotiate deals and obtain assets. They seemed satisfied with my responses, though they didn't ask a single question from the interview packet. They they didn't know that there was apparently a second part of the interview, so I almost left, but luckily saw my recruiter before walking out the door who ushered me back inside to just kind of speak with a senior sales person. That lasted about 10 minutes and we were done. There was no sample pitch like I had read on GlassDoor.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you will be able to handle being on the phone calling over 100 people a day?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at LivingSocial in August 2013.

Phone interview and then 3 separate group interviews with role plays with 3-4 in each interview. Also you get to shadow someone in the position you applied for. Ask you why you are a good fit, your background experience, have you done sales before. Some people were laid back and others in the interview seemed like they didn't want to be there. Overall lengthy, I was there for 4 hours.

No negotiation phase

Senior Inside Sales Representative At LivingSocial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in July 2014.

During the initial conversation with the recruiter we discussed qualifications and other info. I inquired about salary and the relocation portion of the position and what that entails. She explained everything differs based on which position you are hired for. Salary ranges from about $35,000 a year plus bonus for the basic sales role, and between 50,000 and 55,000 plus bonus for the Senior inside sales role. Relocation isn't offered for the basic inside sales role but is for the Senior role. She said she can't really go into much more detail, but she would like to schedule a call with the sales director in California and he can explain everything better.
    The call was supposed to be scheduled later that day by another person in the human resources department. 3 days later I received the email. The sales director was 15 minutes late for the call. We had a solid conversation about sales tactics. He proceeds to explain that they are filling 2 roles in California. I went over the details I had discussed with the recruiter and said everything sounded about right.
    I clarified that the Senior Sales role is the one I'm interested in because the cost of living in California is so high ,and he said my qualifications match up and he didn't see a problem. Then came one of the more shady aspects of my time dealing with Living Social. The sales director proceeds to tell me that he can offer the 50,000 a year plus bonus and relocation if I'm willing to not have the title of Senior Sales Rep, because they don't want to make waves by recruiting from outside the company. I thought it was odd but if the money was right I wasn't going to have a problem with it. He said great and that we will probably schedule a Skype interview with the sales managers or fly me out from Phoenix to LA to interview in person. I said that would be great, and he said I will have the info later that day. I waited for the information and hadn't heard anything back for another 4 days. I emailed the recruiter again explaining that the director wanted to schedule a face to face interview. About 6 hours later I received an email from another person asking for my availability because they were going to fly me out to interview. I decided I wanted to move forward so I scheduled everything for the next week. I was told that my air, travel from the airport, as well as the hotel would be covered entirely by LivinSocial. So Wednesday afternoon I arrived in LA,and there was no driver at the airport to take me to the hotel. So I had to navigate the city bus for almost 2 hours with my luggage to the hotel in Torrance. Around 8:00pm I arrived at the hotel to check in,and the front desk clerk asked me for my credit card. I explained that the room was already paid for by LivingSocial and that everything was supposed to be taken care of.
    She then explained the room had only been reserved with that card,and they need a card with at least a $200.00 limit to cover the cost of the room for the night. The cost was not something I was able to cover at that point in time. After not being able to check in to the hotel and knowing that my options were limited I attempted to contact the people who were responsible for travel at LivingSocial, but they both are in the Washington Dc office. So I was unable to reach anyone at Living Social,and unable to check into the hotel. So I was faced with either attempting to get an earlier flight home and call it a wash or sleep on the beach and interview luggage in hand the next morning. I decided to ride the bus back to LAX and was fortunate enough that the representative at United was willing to reschedule my flight for the next morning. For the hours between 10:00pm and 6:00am I was stranded at the airport.
     After arriving back in Phoenix I received an email asking why i didn't check in or fly out. I explained that they hadn't taken care of everything and I was unable to check in or make the interview. So after a few half hearted apologies I was offered the opportunity to do a Skype call. Again after days of waiting to schedule I was able to get a time for the call. The call started out pretty standard. We discussed my qualifications and why I would want to step down back into an individual contributor role after management for the last 2 years. I explained that I wanted more control over my success. I went through the mock pitch and attempted to handle objections and call flow the way they instructed in the prep info. Of course they went the extra difficult approach and made the call hard which was fine. What I didn't like was the snarky comments from one of the managers afterward about needing to know more. Then came the clencher. I WAS ASKED WHY I DIDN'T STAY FOR THE INTERVIEW WHEN I FLEW OUT. My response was that I wasn't going to sleep on the beach or go from the LAX to the interview on zero sleep and not showering. The response was well it would have shown more resolve. This place is a joke.

Interview Questions
    • Why didn't you sleep on the Beach or at the Airport after we messed up booking your hotel room for your interview?   View Answer

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LivingSocial in October 2013.

Everything went very smoothly and very quickly. Everyone that I had contact with was thorough, friendly, and professional. I was contacted almost one day after I had submitted my application. I was on the phone for an initial interview within two days, on my second phone interview with someone from the team a day after that, and was brought in for a round of in-person interviews (I met with four people). I was offered the position the very next day. The entire process took about one week.

Interview Questions
    • Not sure. Lots of questions just about why I wanted to work there/personality questions/how do you see this fitting into your overall career goals?   View Answer
    This was the weirdest part for me. The HR initial contact called me to inform me of the good news. I was very excited and asked if I would be able to see the contract in order to make my final decision (I was in the middle of interviews with a few other companies, and I wanted to know what the best decision for me would be). The HR contact seemed a little confused, and then offended that I hadn't accepted the offer immediately. She then told me that I had until COB to make the decision. At this point, it was already 3 PM EST, so I ultimately had two hours to make a decision without having anything in front of me except for the verbal salary she had told me.

Also, when I tried to negotiate my salary, I was told that there was no room for negotiation. I thought this was really bizarre considering the rest of the interview process had been very fluid, and this part of the process was incredibly rigid and confusing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at LivingSocial in July 2014.

I applied online and by the next day I was contacted by a recruiter via email to set up a phone interview. The next step was an in-person interview with four of the Sales Managers. They asked questions about my past experience, explain a typical sales cycle and do a mock sales pitch.

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in January 2014.

Everything happened fairly quickly - I was contacted within a week of applying online. Two phone interviews and one in person interview. The entire process felt very casual - I was very overdressed compared to the people I met with. I was waiting about 30 minutes in the reception area before anyone met me. Eventually I met with two Managers in the department and was offered the job within 10 days.

Interview Questions
    • They were very keen on determining my future goals, not as abstract as five years, but wanting to know what other roles I would see myself in the company. Wanted to know what other teams/verticals I would be interested in. Be prepared with a list of goals!   Answer Question
    There was not any negotiation. They offered me the highest that they were able to offer and communicated that with me.

Accounts Payable Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in December 2012.

The process was extremely comfortable. They were very honest and open. Answered all of my questions and their questions were extremely straight forward. Because the job was in DC they were honest that there would be no relocation costs. There were no hidden questions. In the end, experience is what they are looking for in an ideal candidate.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question to me, was salary. I always struggle with finding a good medium.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at LivingSocial in June 2014.

Got an email pretty much right after I sent my resume in. Recruiter scheduled an initial phone call for June 2014. We had a quick chat about the company and my background. Nothing out of the ordinary. I definitely had way to much experience for the position. The recruiter said she'd be in touch & to date I haven't heard back from her - very unprofessional!!!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult - standard questions. What are your strengths & weaknesses....   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in April 2014.

Started with the standard phone interview, lead to an in-person interview two days later. The office was very cool and super flashy, but something about it seemed sterile. While interviewing, I met with four different sales managers from the company. The interview was pretty straight forward as far as questioning was concerned. I was asked to give a mock pitch for a company, but was not briefed on the situation. Apparently I was supposed to be briefed prior to the interview, I went in cold and did a decent job. I was then asked to have another phone interview to go over the pitch again. I figured the phone interview was going to be merely a refined pitch of what I had done in-person. Nope, I interviewed with two completely different people who spent another 40 minutes grilling me on my past experience. Eventually we got to the pitch and it went alright, not perfect but that's how things go. I was made an offer and turned it down due to financial obligations and the organization/outlook of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Why is LivingSocial different from Groupon?   View Answer

Financial reasons/outlook of the company

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!