LivingSocial

Getting the Interview

251 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Specialist - At Home Services Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at LivingSocial.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview. Follow up by a in office interview with the sales manager. I was unimpressed in his demeanor. When I asked him what were the principles of the company, he could only name one. The recruiter wanted to give me details on the interview, but only 4 hours before the interview.

Interview Question – Besides starting your own business, what was the greatest thing you have ever accomplished.   View Answer

Production Coordinator Interview

Production Coordinator

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at LivingSocial.

Interview Details – I got an email for a phone interview about a week after I submitted my resume and cover letter. Interview went fine. Recruiter asked about my background and then some questions related to the position. Told me she'd let me know if I was chosen for the next round the following day, and then didn't. I followed up via email two days later, and she said "we think you're overqualified but we'll let you know." Haven't heard from her since. I just read the employee reviews and am kind of glad that this didn't work out.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, really. It was just a scoping out call.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in June 2012.

Interview Details – It has changed. At one point they brought everyone in for the outside sales team. Now the outside sales team barely exists

Interview Question – expected you to role play   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation of salary

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at LivingSocial in August 2012.

Interview Details – Easy. Talked with recruiter then met with Manager and got the job.

Interview Question – Never had an actual interview questions with them.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial.

Interview Details – Very quick and easy. Phone call with 1-2 recruiters, face to face or phone call with your direct manager and final phone interview with regional manager.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate. They always offer $40,000 base but negotiate, especially if you have advertising experience and connections in the community because you will not make much in commission. You're paid based on how the promotion sells and people use Groupon rather then LivingSocial.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at LivingSocial in September 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter reached out to me through LinkedIn. We spoke the next day on the phone. She asked me some basic questions. I was not offered the job because they were looking for someone to start immediately and I had other obligations. I was a little upset.

Interview Question – What would my most recent employer say my biggest weakness was   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at LivingSocial in June 2012.

Interview Details – 4 rounds, long day of interviews. it was very professional and made me want the job

Interview Question – mock pitch   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in May 2009.

Interview Details – Rigorous interview process, but impressed with the entire outfit. Upon uploading a resume to their website, if you're a good candidate, you will be contacted by phone to setup an initial interview. Once I passed that interview, I was flown to Washington DC (on their dime), placed in a nice hotel, and shuttled to the Living Social home office along with a van load of other candidates. Once there, you are put through a private interview. If you make a good impression, you then sit through a group interview. If you still make a good impression, you are given the opportunity to present a mock sales presentation and closing. Final selections are made after you go back home.

Interview Question – Mock presentations are always nerve wracking. Study up on the company and prepare something ahead of time that you can adjust if necessary.   Answer Question

Production Coordinator Interview

Production Coordinator
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at LivingSocial in September 2013.

Interview Details – It was so quick! Someone from HR contacted me to set up a phone interview. The interview took about 20 minutes, with the last five minutes consisting of me asking my questions. A few days later I went into one of the DC offices to do an in-person. They told me to dress business casual and bring copies of my resume. I interviewed with three separate managers for about 30 minutes each. They all had their own copies of my resume, so I didn't need to hand any out. The atmosphere was very laid back and they allowed me to ask lots of questions. They were mostly trying to learn more about my work history and make sure I was a good fit. Therefore, they didn't ask a lot of questions like, "Tell me about a time when..." (though there were a couple). The questions were mostly, "I see X on your resume. Tell me about that."

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.
Why LivingSocial?
How did you come across the position and why do you think you are a good fit?
Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult client or coworker.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable salary offer.

Training and Communications Specialist Interview

Tucson, AZ

The process took a day - interviewed at LivingSocial in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initially, I played some phone/email tag with a recruiter, who didn't seem to be listening to my messages or reading my emails, as I was providing possible interview times but couldn't get any confirmation. Then I received an email notification of a calendar appointment for a time when I was not supposed to be available and missing key details like WHERE I was supposed to be. Luckily, I was able to make the time work, and I knew the location from outside sources.
When I arrived I faced an elevator accessed by an electronic card and an intercom that no one answered. I sneaked into the elevator behind an employee who was leaving and went up to the fourth floor. The office was a colorful zoo of unprofessional-looking people and desk clutter, which goes with their google-esque business philosophy, I guess. Made me a little seasick.

I spoke with two supervisors who asked me garden-variety interview questions and had me talk about my work experience. I probably came off like a dork, being the only guy in the building with a tie on (I had just come from my current, more conservative, job), and using a lot of military/institutional jargon rather than showing that I had a personality, which I do, by the way.

If there were a moment that sealed my fate, it was probably when, having been asked what I think LivingSocial does, I said "It's like Groupon, right?" I could sense they both wanted to do a facepalm, but restrained themselves. Basically, I failed to do my research on the company and it showed.

While I didn't think it was a completely horrible interview (I was a bit off my game, though), I came away with the realization that I probably need a more traditional work environment, and they probably aren't interested in a square like me, who is pushing 40 and old enough to be most of their dads--including one of my interviewers, who sported a "faux hawk" --ugh. (I am not alleging age discrimination here, by the way, just talking about communication / culture differences) The other interviewer was a lady about my age, so I may have inadvertently directed too much attention her direction, assuming she was the boss. Plus, you know, faux hawk.

All in all, they were nice, and the people working there seemed happy. I was amazed to hear about their 8% turnover rate (it's mostly a call center and the industry norm is over 100%), and clearly they are doing something right. I was interesting in the opportunity to get into their organization, which may have serious growth potential, but I couldn't quite drink the "kool aid" to the degree that working in a "fun" (possibly annoying) place is worth ten grand less than the industry average.

No matter, though, they didn't hire me, and I don't take it too hard, since they said they had a lot of applicants (which I tend to believe, and if it was a lie, it was a very thoughtful lie). Were I to do it over again, I'd take it more seriously and try to show that I take myself less seriously. I would do my research, present myself more enthusiastically, and ditch the tie.

Interview Question – "Tell me a joke."   View Answer