LivingSocial

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial.

Went through 4 Interviews. First was a phone screen with a recruiter from home office. Pretty standard questions, nothing too difficult. Then I had to prepare for a role play interview with the same recruiter. Also very standard stuff and the recruiter gave me great feedback. If you move on you are sent to home office in DC for a round robin style interview. Here you will do a role play for 3 different managers. The next step is to speak with someone not in the sales department. Personally, I think this is a waste of time but is easy and is the last step.

Interview Questions
    • They rely heavily on the role play scenarios. Be prepared and think outside the box.   Answer Question
    They offer a very competitive comp plan, but the culture of the .com world, your comp plan you have when you start will change multiple times over the course of your time there.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at LivingSocial in September 2011.

I was an Employee Referral so I'm assuming my application went to the top of the heap.
    I had 2 phone interviews, 1 onsite interview, and 1 1:1 sales pitch

1st Phone interview (10 mins) this was the typical resume run down; the interviewer was just qualifying me (credentials, speaking ability), I read my resume verbatim I don't think the interviewee was paying much attention. I was engaging and personable that's pretty much key in phone sales anyway.

2nd Phone interview (10 mins) this was the typical personality interview, likes/dislikes from my previous positions, why I want to work for LivingSocial. Take the opportunity to ask every question, comment, concern you have, if this is a career path move make sure ALL of your goals are aligned.

Onsite interview [if you make it through the phone interviews, you will be flown to Washington, DC for a face to face interview. I suggest you request to be flown in the night before - you'll be more refreshed, get a good night sleep, eat breakfast and be 5 mins early] The face to face interview isn't terrible if you get along with people. Bring 4 copies of your resume, the interviewers will have a copy but you can never be too prepared, review your resume as it is a conversation, talk about what you did, what you liked, and why you've moved on, smile talk like a human.

Sales Pitch [If the interviews ask you to hang around, you will be back for a sales pitch, if you nail this you've got the job] Refer to SPIN selling and you are golden. You'll probably pitch a product/service or the classic mindless almost insulting "sell me this marker" pitch. What you're selling isn't as important as how you are selling it. LivingSocial is a sales organization if you're not selling you might as well grab a snapple and a bag of pretzels and HIT THE BRICKS!

The DC office Pros: cool looking, snacks, beverages Cons: NO personal space, everyone is on top of each other - kind of like a colorful US version of an overseas call center

Interview Questions
    There is NO room to negotiate your Base is $45k and your quota/commission will go up and DOWN every other month you are there

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at LivingSocial in May 2011.

I wish I could say this was a professional process, but since they contact you and then never get back to responses I can't label it as such.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at LivingSocial in July 2011.

I was wondering if anyone gets hired that wasn't invited to stay in DC for the 3rd round of the interview process? I went for the first 2 which went okay but was told I could head to the airport after that. From what I have read it appears that if you do not get asked for the 3rd you don't get an offer. Since they tell you that being invited to the 3rd or not being invited is not an indicator of whether or not you get the job....I was curious to see if anyone out there has gotten an offer from only 2 interviews while in DC?????? Thanks!

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at LivingSocial in March 2011.

Thanks to this site, I was pretty well prepared for the circus they put you through.

First of all, let me state that I love the business model and it's a vehicle that really works. Because it works they are growing so fast they have forgotten about cusomer service. Many of my current clients couldn't even get a call back. As a customer myself, I was put off by the lack of customer support and the flippant kid on the other end of the phone when a refund was not delivered.

The interview was three calls where I did a mock pitch. Easy. The people on the other line were the ones who got off subject but I passed and all was well. The next step is a series of emails to get you to DC. I can take a shuttle so why put me up in a hotel? Well there was no choice so I went and by the way I have never paid for my own meals before, what was that all about?

The first of three interviews was with a kid that had to be a recent college grad. While I look young, I am old enough to be his mother. He asked me questions that really had nothing to do with my qualifications but to see if I fit into the culture. Nice kid, but with so little life experience, how can he be a judge?

The second was with two very young ladies and the role play began. Easy, similar to the phone.

If you get the green light, you are asked to entertain yourself for three hours three inch heels. This bothered me because I could have had the entire thing done in an hour and been in my own bed but that is no how they do it.

The third was with three upper level management and I have to say, not so friendly. No questions about my qualifications, my successes or references. The questions were: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "If you had to choose career growth or financial reward which would you choose?"

Anyway I did not get the offer but even if I had, I wouldn't have gone for it. Although a great concept, they want people with unlimited time and probably no family or kids because I got the impression they want to hammer you to deliver a very high volume of 20 new sales a month. The base of $40K is small and there is no expense account or any guarantee your advertiser will run so I viewe this as some one else having control over how much commission you make..

This would be a good fit for a high energy young, single professional who has not yet proven themselves in the ad world and who would put up with unrealistic demands.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose career growth or financial rewards, which would you choose?   Answer Question

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!