Lloyds Banking Group

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

3.1

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

You interview with HR first, followed by a phone interview, followed by in person interviews and a final interview with the MD of the respective group.
    A lot of candidates will be invited in to interview even though it is clear they will not get the job. Managers will usually recommend friends or acquaintances for jobs and know who they want to hire before the process even begins but they still go through the HR process so they can not be accused of nepotism.
    If you are interviewing for a position below Vice President, be ready to speak to the financial statements and how they work together.

Interview Questions
    The Managing Director has final say in the ultimate outcome, but the hiring manager is key and should lobby on your behalf. If you can't enlist the hiring manager, there will be no negotiation.

Spring Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in December 2010.

It was a round of interviews at their office near Bryant Park. Over 3 hours met with 6 managers from various departments at Lloyds, half an hour each. All the interviews were resume cum behavioral interviews.

There were about 50 applicants applying for 6 positions. Very competitive and they are just looking for a reason to send you packing.

Financial Reporting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in April 2010.

I meet with the CFO and the Managing director on the first day. We all got along really well and I got positive feedback form the recruiter. The next day I met with what would be my dorect report. Even the recruirter warned me that she had no personality but I was still taken aback. She was diconnected and distant.

THis was a bacward interviw. Usually the potential direct hire is the easy interview and the higher ups are more hardass.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

Summer internship. Interview was online, they were pre recorded questions mostly competency based and you would have to record your answer. There were about 30 questions. I was given half a minute to prepare my answer then 2 minutes to give my answer then the recording cut off. I went for too long on one of the questions and started others too early.

Group Operations SummerVideo Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

KEY TIPS;

This info is based on my friend's knowledge of working in the hr department for recruiting interns and graduates but I think is important to consider....

IF you take part in an assessment centre, the current interns that are there to 'help answer questions' are assessing you to some degree! my friend was asked to give an opinion of what each member at the assessment centre's focus was, and how they felt that person would fit in to the group. I have no idea how much of this information would affect their application.

WHEN DOING THE VIDEO INTERVIEW. My friend who helped with the recruitment process highlighted the possibility that the recruiters are able to view your 'practice video questions' which is not judged'; while it is not judged it was implied that this section was still viewed as a way of assessing the individuals general behavior and getting a first impression of the individual.. so keep this in mind just in case this is true... whats the harm in acting professionally in the practice question, right?

APPLICATION PROCESS;

ONLINE FORM;

Started with a very simple online application form. Unlike many online application forms for other big companies, Lloyds do not require you to answer questions specific to the role, to Lloyds or to your strengths in the initial online application.

ONLINE TESTS;

A numerical test followed which, I think, was set to the format whereby each question was trying to identify your mathamatical ability level, rather than how many questions out of x you got right. For example, after the first few questions I answered, the net questions become progressively harder. This is only my interpretation however, and not based on fact.

The logical reasoning test was standard shl, just look for potential patterns, and what shape would logically follow the last one.

VIDEO INTERVIEW;

The pre-recorded video interview was the final stage for the process for an internship (unlike other applications that generally include at least one face to face interview or assessment centre), which allowed for increased convenience as you are able to take the test whenever you want (within the time frame) and where-ever you want.

When doing the interview, I wore a full suit and ensured that the camera was at eye-level and there was a large amount of light on my face to reduce any shadow effects across, on top of, or below my face.

I was asked twelve questions, which included 2 competency based questions and two commercial/company based questions.

The questions covered the following topics (as far as I remember);

(PRACTICE QUESTION: Tell me about your previous work experience?)
    Why are you right for the role?
    What did you find most interesting when learning about Lloyds?
    A time when you built relationships?
    A time when you used innovation to improve a process?
    Is ethical behavior of your colleagues important to you?
    When have you lead a team?
    How have you dealt with conflict?
    How have you solved a challenge?
    When have you used a variety of sources and explained key points?
    When have you taken initiative?
    Do you tend to get involved with tasks and take responsibility?
    when have you helped someone above their expectations?

These are the general topics of the question, they are similar to ones that I have found on this very website, whoever the ones I was posed with were in slightly different wording and a different order.

After submitting my video interview, I did not receive an offer until three weeks later (presumably, it is very time consuming to shift through a plethora of different videos interviews sent through the process).

Interview Questions
    • How important is the ethical behavior of your colleagues?   Answer Question

Lloyds Banking Group Graduate Program- Group Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

Just thought I'd share my video interview questions. The questions themselves weren't difficult, but talking to a computer screen and cutting down the answers into 90 seconds was a bit of a weird experience.
    The questions that I got were something along the lines of:
    - what motivates you to pursue a career in this role?
    - are you good at using different sources and explaining key points?
    - do you believe that banks should have ethical standards?
    - are you one to take ownership for tasks and challenges?
    - what do you do to fit in in a new team?
    - time when you solved a challenge
    -improving a process
    -are you good at reacting and adapting to people's behaviour?
    -do you take initiative and want to get involved?
    - what did you enjoy learning about lloyds?
    -are you good at building relationships?
    -when did you exceed someone's expectations in helping them?

Have 12 questions and 90 seconds to answer each, with 30 seconds to think in between. Can pause for as long as you want in between questions.

Now waiting to hear back! Good luck :)

Interview Questions
    • are you good at reacting and adapting to people's behaviour   View Answer

SME & Mid Markets Interview

I had a "video" interview in which I had to answer Lloyd Bank's questions one by one. There was no 'interviewer', and my answers were automatically recorded. I had to look up at my webcam consistently, as if I am facing my interviewer. The questions were mostly asking my previous work experiences, what I've learned from it, and of course, 'why Lloyds'.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any questions that overturned my expectations. It was consistent with what previous interviewees reviewed on this glassdoor site.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in January 2015.

Very straight forward, applied through a recruitment agency, got a telephone interview which I was successful on (usual customer service questions) then I was invited up for an assessment which I had to do a questionnaire on an iPad to see if I suited the roll, personally I feel this should of been done before the telephone interview as if I had of failed it I would of wasted a 150mile round trip! After that it was two role plays with experienced staff on which I was given a sheet to read of in regards to their polices.

Waited a day got a telephone called and I accepted the job

Interview Questions
    • What makes you different from the other candidates in the lobby?   View Answers (3)
    No negotiation, £9.75hr

Lloyds Banking Group Graduate Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in December 2014.

The whole process is as outlined, so I won't go into much detail. The video interview was standard, I was asked one tricky question which was what I had enjoyed learning about Lloyds banking group throughout my research. Apart from that it was things like should banks uphold the highest moral standards, questions about you, that type of thing. Fairly typical. The assessment centre was held over half a day in London, consisting of a group exercise (something along the lines of what do the Lloyds values mean to you personally and how should graduate should contribute to upholding them, tailored towards your scheme, which was finance for me, discussed as a group and submitted on paper). I also had a 20-minute written exercise on how Lloyds could improve for its customers, and a 8 question in 10 minute numerical test. I struggled to finish due to time, but simple questions. I had to present in 5 minutes on '“An initiative, product or service that will help Lloyds Banking Group be the best bank for customers”, which you have to prepare in advance after confirming your attendance. I printed off some pages and prepared a topic, but you're not given a computer or anything, just a flip-chart. Be careful on timing, they will stop you at 5 minutes exactly, followed by questions. Finally there was an hour-long interview. This was pretty tough, asking about the values and objectives, about what I'd expect to be doing in my scheme, how I could contribute, as well as behavioural questions, do I consider myself someone who seeks to improve myself, do I enjoy helping people understand difficult concepts, that type of thing. It's not a competency based interview, so don't expect the usual format. These exercises could be in any order depending on your timetable. I heard within 10 days.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what you know about recent changes to our group, the biggest challenges facing the industry and where what our goals in the next 5 years are.   Answer Question

Commercial Banking - Global Corporates and Financial Institutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in November 2014.

Online application form that only required you to attach a CV, no competency questions, no cover letter.

Usual SHL tests

Video interview - asked 12 questions, had 30 seconds to prepare for each and 1 min 30 to answer. The questions that I can remember are:
    - why does the role interest you
    - what interests you about Lloyds
    - something about taking initiative
    - would you say you're good at building relationships
    - time when you improved a process
    - your biggest achievement
    - when did you successful help or support someone

It all went past very quickly and I found it quite strange! But I think as long as you try to be as calm and comfortable as possible you'll be fine. I think I prefer telephone interviews. Currently waiting to hear back from them about whether I was successful.

Interview Questions
    • Would you say you're good at building lasting relationships?   Answer Question