Lloyds Banking Group

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

3.1

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

You interview with HR first, followed by a phone interview, followed by in person interviews and a final interview with the MD of the respective group.
    A lot of candidates will be invited in to interview even though it is clear they will not get the job. Managers will usually recommend friends or acquaintances for jobs and know who they want to hire before the process even begins but they still go through the HR process so they can not be accused of nepotism.
    If you are interviewing for a position below Vice President, be ready to speak to the financial statements and how they work together.

Interview Questions
    The Managing Director has final say in the ultimate outcome, but the hiring manager is key and should lobby on your behalf. If you can't enlist the hiring manager, there will be no negotiation.

Spring Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in December 2010.

It was a round of interviews at their office near Bryant Park. Over 3 hours met with 6 managers from various departments at Lloyds, half an hour each. All the interviews were resume cum behavioral interviews.

There were about 50 applicants applying for 6 positions. Very competitive and they are just looking for a reason to send you packing.

Financial Reporting Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in April 2010.

I meet with the CFO and the Managing director on the first day. We all got along really well and I got positive feedback form the recruiter. The next day I met with what would be my dorect report. Even the recruirter warned me that she had no personality but I was still taken aback. She was diconnected and distant.

THis was a bacward interviw. Usually the potential direct hire is the easy interview and the higher ups are more hardass.

Intern Interview

There are 5 stages to the process. They are online form, questionnaire, test, phone interview and if you impress them during your telephone interview they'll invite you to an onsite assessment at a location near you. It will include an interview and a role-play exercise. Following the onsite assessment, we will make you an offer if we believe you will succeed on the apprenticeship programme.

Commercial Banking - SME and Mid Markets Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in February 2015.

Cultural assessment, online numerical reasoning and inductive reasoning tests, video interview, assessment center. The cultural assessment is relatively straight forward, all your answers should reflect a focus on customer service. Online testing can be tricky, make sure you practice on SHL. You can find all the video interview questions online. Assessment center is just like any other.

Interview Questions
    • e.g. What attracts you about working for LBG, tell us about a time you were faced with a problem and how you resolved it, what skills do you have that apply to this role.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in February 2015.

I applied on Lloyds website for a Customer Service Advisor position at Halifax. I made the application on 17.01, on 19.01 I received an email letting me know that I passed the first stage of the application process and that I can book a telephone interview slot in the next week. I had the telephone interview on the 30.01. The interviewer was very friendly, he told me few things about the job, the shift patterns and then he asked questions like:
    - What attracted you to this role?
    - What do you know about Lloyds?
    - What do you think is the most important part of this role?
    - What is your biggest challenge?
    - Name a thing you disliked at your current job?
    - How would you act if an angry customer called you to complain?
    - Something about creating a rapport with the customers
    - An example of a time when you provided the best customer service

The telephone interview lasted for 30 minutes, after that I was put on hold so the interviewer could finish his notes (he writes down everything you say). When the interviewer came back he told me that I was successful to this interview and that I have to book a slot for the assessment center. I went to the assessment center where we had a face to face interview where I was asked approximately the same questions as in the telephone interview with more competency based questions like:

- Tell me a time when you received a negative feedback
    - Tell me a time when you had to work as a team
    - Tell me a time when you had to make a decision
    - Tell me a time when you provided good customer service
    - Tell me a time when you went the extra-mile to help a customer

After the interview, we had a group exercise where each of us got a sheet containing a discussion between an advisor and a customer. We had to discuss between us what the advisor did right, what could have been improved. The assessors were taking notes and were not interfering the conversation.
    After the group exercise we had 2 role plays. We got a customer sheet, we had to read it carefully and to answer the queries the customer had. You should be careful at the security checks to make sure that what the "customer" is telling you is the exact same thing as on the sheet you have.
    That was all! To be honest, it was a bit easier than I imagined. The people are very friendly and they make you feel comfortable.
     2 hours after getting home I got a phone call from Lloyds telling me that I have the job!

Client Service Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Banbury, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Banbury, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in February 2015.

I applied online and got invited to the interview. the process took about 3 weeks. I then went to the interview and the first person i Saw wasn't friendly at all which made the whole experience a bit difficult.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group in February 2015.

The telephone interview lasted about 20 minuets. She was very friendly and nice. After the lady asked me the questions I was put on hold for a few minutes she then came back and told me I was successful and to attend another interview in march. Every question you give back they type it in to there computer. I just took my time and answered every question clearly. The questions art that difficult so don't worry about it. The phone interview seemed rather quick ! I was worried about it but once I was on the phone I was talking away and it was fine.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for lloyds ?
      what do you know about lloyds ?
      What attracted you to this role ?
      How do you build up a rapport with a customer ?
      What skills will you bring to this role ?
      what would you do if an angry customer was on the phone ?
      what skills will you bring to this role ?

Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

Summer internship. Interview was online, they were pre recorded questions mostly competency based and you would have to record your answer. There were about 30 questions. I was given half a minute to prepare my answer then 2 minutes to give my answer then the recording cut off. I went for too long on one of the questions and started others too early.

Group Operations SummerVideo Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

KEY TIPS;

This info is based on my friend's knowledge of working in the hr department for recruiting interns and graduates but I think is important to consider....

IF you take part in an assessment centre, the current interns that are there to 'help answer questions' are assessing you to some degree! my friend was asked to give an opinion of what each member at the assessment centre's focus was, and how they felt that person would fit in to the group. I have no idea how much of this information would affect their application.

WHEN DOING THE VIDEO INTERVIEW. My friend who helped with the recruitment process highlighted the possibility that the recruiters are able to view your 'practice video questions' which is not judged'; while it is not judged it was implied that this section was still viewed as a way of assessing the individuals general behavior and getting a first impression of the individual.. so keep this in mind just in case this is true... whats the harm in acting professionally in the practice question, right?

APPLICATION PROCESS;

ONLINE FORM;

Started with a very simple online application form. Unlike many online application forms for other big companies, Lloyds do not require you to answer questions specific to the role, to Lloyds or to your strengths in the initial online application.

ONLINE TESTS;

A numerical test followed which, I think, was set to the format whereby each question was trying to identify your mathamatical ability level, rather than how many questions out of x you got right. For example, after the first few questions I answered, the net questions become progressively harder. This is only my interpretation however, and not based on fact.

The logical reasoning test was standard shl, just look for potential patterns, and what shape would logically follow the last one.

VIDEO INTERVIEW;

The pre-recorded video interview was the final stage for the process for an internship (unlike other applications that generally include at least one face to face interview or assessment centre), which allowed for increased convenience as you are able to take the test whenever you want (within the time frame) and where-ever you want.

When doing the interview, I wore a full suit and ensured that the camera was at eye-level and there was a large amount of light on my face to reduce any shadow effects across, on top of, or below my face.

I was asked twelve questions, which included 2 competency based questions and two commercial/company based questions.

The questions covered the following topics (as far as I remember);

(PRACTICE QUESTION: Tell me about your previous work experience?)
    Why are you right for the role?
    What did you find most interesting when learning about Lloyds?
    A time when you built relationships?
    A time when you used innovation to improve a process?
    Is ethical behavior of your colleagues important to you?
    When have you lead a team?
    How have you dealt with conflict?
    How have you solved a challenge?
    When have you used a variety of sources and explained key points?
    When have you taken initiative?
    Do you tend to get involved with tasks and take responsibility?
    when have you helped someone above their expectations?

These are the general topics of the question, they are similar to ones that I have found on this very website, whoever the ones I was posed with were in slightly different wording and a different order.

After submitting my video interview, I did not receive an offer until three weeks later (presumably, it is very time consuming to shift through a plethora of different videos interviews sent through the process).

Interview Questions
    • How important is the ethical behavior of your colleagues?   Answer Question