Lloyds Banking Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.1

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

Interview

You interview with HR first, followed by a phone interview, followed by in person interviews and a final interview with the MD of the respective group.
    A lot of candidates will be invited in to interview even though it is clear they will not get the job. Managers will usually recommend friends or acquaintances for jobs and know who they want to hire before the process even begins but they still go through the HR process so they can not be accused of nepotism.
    If you are interviewing for a position below Vice President, be ready to speak to the financial statements and how they work together.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The Managing Director has final say in the ultimate outcome, but the hiring manager is key and should lobby on your behalf. If you can't enlist the hiring manager, there will be no negotiation.

Spring Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

It was a round of interviews at their office near Bryant Park. Over 3 hours met with 6 managers from various departments at Lloyds, half an hour each. All the interviews were resume cum behavioral interviews.

There were about 50 applicants applying for 6 positions. Very competitive and they are just looking for a reason to send you packing.

Financial Reporting Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

I meet with the CFO and the Managing director on the first day. We all got along really well and I got positive feedback form the recruiter. The next day I met with what would be my dorect report. Even the recruirter warned me that she had no personality but I was still taken aback. She was diconnected and distant.

THis was a bacward interviw. Usually the potential direct hire is the easy interview and the higher ups are more hardass.

Interview Questions

• Why dont you have your CPA?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

Interview

Applied via agency and then had to complete online application. First round interview was technical exam writing code based on SQL server and VBA. Based on the exam was obvious that LBG are working 10 years in the past and are not taking advantage of anything new in SQL Server. You'll be pigeon holed in this career path and not challenged technically. Long winded and very impersonal hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Write a stored procedure that accepts a date range to return data from a set of tables   Answer Question
    • Call the stored procedure via VBA, return data into excel and format, delete all unused worksheets   Answer Question
    • What is parameter sniffing?   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Two role play scenarios that took place on the main floor, paper script with information.
    One to one with an existing employee as the "customer" they provided feedback before proceeding to the second scenario.

This Was ok but could have been planned better.

Support Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group.

Interview

Although it was meant to be a two stage process, only one person interviewed me and this was a rewarding experience in which I was asked good questions about my previous role, size of company etc

Interview Questions

• technical questions and competency based questions   1 Answer

Lloyds Banking Group Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Athens (Greece)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group (Athens (Greece)) in May 2015.

Interview

The first step of the application is composed of a simple form and a cv uploading. The next step is a Strengths and Cultural Assessment and a numerical and inductive test. If you are pass this the possibly ask you for more details on high school certificates. Finally, before the assessment there is a video interview.

Interview Questions

• What excites you about the role that you applied for within the bank?   Answer Question
    • Describe when you ensured somebody received a level of service or support that exceeded their expectations.   Answer Question

IT Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group (Birmingham, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, numerical and so forth followed, video interview and then a half day assessment.. Pretty standard setup, revolved around being the best bank for customers. Long process mainly due to the number of applicants but every stage was easy to follow and friendly.

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Lloyds Banking Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The assessment day involved a 1 hour competency-based interview with two managers. Also, I was given 45 minutes to go through a case study and prepare a 10 minute presentation on some questions regarding the case study. Finally, there was a short 30 minute test to review my coding abilities.

Commercial Banking - SME & Mid Markets Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solihull, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Lloyds Banking Group (Solihull, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Completed online application (usual stuff)

Online tests - numerical, reasoning and strengths

Automated Video Interview - Motives, Strengths (eg how important do you consider reading people), some competency questions.

Innovation Lab (Assessment Centre) usually 8-10 candidates consisting of:

Interview - 50 minute interview with one assessor. This interview consisted of motivations, Why Lloyds? Why are you suited to this role?etc. Competencies, describe a time when you showed leadership, teamwork etc etc. One key area aswell is strengths and weaknesses know yours and in terms of weaknesses put a positive spin on them (e.g. I have found that I can sometimes take on too much at once, however I have learnt to manage my time a lot more effectively so that I can manage a heavy work load whilst maintaining high quality). Commercial Awareness - What are the 5 main things facing the banking industry and how can Lloyds overcome these challenges, there is an article (Learn it until you know it completely and you will be fine: if you search financial institutions business unit strategy emerging market equilibrium by BCG perspectives you should find it.

Written task - 30 minutes. A) What are Lloyds Values and why are they relevant in todays environment?
    B) What steps or initiative(s) can Lloyds take to deliver upon these values (good idea to use your pitch presentation idea - see below) This was fairly straightforward in terms of written assessments I felt.

Group Task - 30 Minutes with 4-5 candidates. 10 Minutes Reading about 6-8 A4 sheets on varying current aspects and data about Lloyds. 15-20 Minutes to talk with your group (whilst supervised by 3 assessors) come up with 5 issues facing Lloyds and 5 actionable courses to deal with these issues. I would advise discussion for 15 mins then 5 minutes writing down finalised issues and solutions. REMEMBER WORK WITH EVERYONE. IF EVERYONE IS GOOD THEY WILL HIRE YOU ALL SO DONT TRY AND UPSTAGE EACH OTHER. WORK TOGETHER AND EMPOWER YOUR TEAMMATES TOO!

Presentation (Pitch) - Come up with a Product/Service/Initiative that will help Lloyds become the "best bank for customers". This is a 5 minute pitch (get your timing bang on!) You will get what you have to prepare 5-7 days in advance so you can (and should prepare). You will only have access to a flipchart and get 5 minutes prep time. If like me you are not very good at writing on a board/flipchart either make a handout or an A1 poster beforehand that you can just clip/bluetac onto the flipchart.

Points to address: Environment, why this idea. What the idea is. What the idea delivers (why it will help Lloyds be the best bank for customers in this case). What challenges you expect to face, how to overcome them. Practice your pitch at least 5 times before the day, so you get your timing right. You will then face questions on your idea. I would advise pitching in such a way so that you can leave small gaps (not big ones) as to lead the assessor (there is only one) into asking certain questions. This way you can have answers ready to close the assessors concerns thoughts etc.

That's it! I thoroughly enjoyed it and you will too. BE YOURSELF. Don't read scripted answers, prepare bullet points on any interview questions before so your answers flow and you don't sound like a robot!

I think from my group 4-5 out of the 8 there got offers, myself included. Good Luck!

One extra tip. If you record yourself reading out all your interview answers and relevant articles (like the one linked above) and then play this back on your journey to the AC or a few days before they will sink in a lot more. Your answers/info will definitely sink in more.

Interview Questions

• Name five key issues facing banking. Describe how these issues might be overcome or capitalised on.   2 Answers