Lockerz Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lockerz

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lockerz in April 2012.

I first had a phone interview with the original founder of Tweetphoto and Plixi. We had a candid discussion when lead me to a 2nd round personal interview at their office in San Diego. He drill me during the phone conversations about my asking starting salary, in which, I mistakenly diverge when I should wisely waited until I get an offer. From this experience and the beginning phases, I learned not to discuss expected salary until final offer is made. This limit my possibility of getting a higher starting salary.

When I was at the personal interview, I sat down with the CTO and 2 other developers, 1 front-end, and other other was the back end developer. The CTO asked basic question as what's the difference between Java and PHP, name 3 of the 5 principles of object oriented development, and basic CSS type questions from the front end developer. Overall, I had a great interview with their small and expanding technical team. Later, the past founder of Plixi sat in and asked me why I don't program under a mac vs a pc. I felt his questioning was a bit rude and forward and lack the understanding that we can't all afford a mac. I simply explain the benefit of development under a mac b/c it ran using linux and it's design programs were better than a pc. He continue to reiterate, why you don't use a mac. I own a pc and can't afford a mac.

Although I didn't get an offer, I appreciate their vibrant culture and wish them well with their start-up. After this interview, I ultimately landed my dream job in downtown San Diego with the best company culture. They offered me a great starting salary; we have a company chef that prepared us lunch everyday. Our company is well mixed and have a dynamic growing team. I love my new place!

Interview Questions
    • What is your expected starting salary?   View Answer
    • Name 3 of the 5 principles of object oriented development.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Lockerz in February 2011.

I had a phone screen with a recruiter and another phone screen with the hiring manager before being brought in for all-day interview with about 8 employees from a variety of different departments. After the all-day interview, I had one more phone interview with another employee and also had a phone conversation with the CEO. After all that, I gave references (which were checked because several of my references reached out to me and confirmed they'd given me rave reviews). The recruiter also emailed me a detailed Word doc of their benefits. All signs were pointing toward an offer, but then I was contacted via phone and told they weren't going to pursue me because I didn't have enough retention marketing experience. I think this is probably something they should have figured out on phone screen #2 -- I was upfront about my experience throughout the process and my lack of retention marketing was never mentioned before. You'd think the CEO would have better things to do than interview a non-qualified candidate. The recruiter also said that if they had had two positions open, they would "have hired me in a heartbeat" ... but in fact they did have two marketing positions open. It was a real let down that they couldn't deal honestly with me and tell me the real reason that they weren't going to extend an offer.

I really liked all the people that I met with and this company could be a great fit for some people that are interested in a more chaotic start-up environment. Overall I was highly disappointed with the way the interview process was handled and their poor expectation setting. Doesn't bode well for how the company is managed overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Lockerz in February 2011.

Good communication, quick response time. Interesting group of people.

Interview Questions
    • Why is it you want to leave your current position?   View Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Lockerz in December 2010.

HR reached out to my inquiry about the job, which was posted on Craigslist. They then setup a phone screener. After that, they setup two interviews: one with the CEO, and one with a VP. After that, they brought me in for several hours of 1:1 interviews. During the interview process, one of the San Diego team members came off incredibly rude and condescending. His demeanor and social skills were incredibly lacking.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what Lockerz is, in your own words, in one sentence.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Lockerz in October 2010.

Be really familiar with the website before the interview. Be prepared to tell what you like, and what needs improvement. Be very metrics/outcome focused. There is a ton of info on this company on the internet. The site requires some time put in to really understand how it works.

Interview Questions
    • What is wrong with the website, and how would you make it better.   Answer Question
    • What do you read for pleasure, where do you get your news, what sites do you follow?   Answer Question

PHP Developer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Lockerz in March 2012.

I just got done with a phone interview with Lockerz for a PHP position. The interview lasted approximately 1 hour, with a 5 minute "Getting to know you". It started off with a typical fizz buzz test which I started with a recursive PHP programm to get the values, at which point I was told NOT to use recursive functions, so I started over with a foreach loop. This was the LAST PHP question that I had. After that every question that I had was Javascript, at which I told the interviewer that my Javascript is mostly for front end coding with JQuery. This did not stop him. After 45 minutes of Javascript questions I feel extremely burnt out. Things that were asked were scope in javascript for function variables, and why things wouldn't work. Comparison operators, and what is the difference between a normal comparison and a literal comparison. What is a Javascript array, at which point I was told that PHP arrays are "stupid and make no sense". I have a really bad taste in my mouth for being asked to interview for a PHP position, told its a hokey language, and being grilled in Javascript. I will not continue the interview process with them.

Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Lockerz in February 2011.

I was contacted via Linkedin, supplied with CEO interview articles and video. After some brief research I responded with interest and was invited to a phone interview with internal HR recruiter. The position is not posted on their website, and the recruiter did not specify a title or provide description. I assumed it's expected given the start-up nature of the company.

Without spending a lot of time, the website overall doesn't clearly spell out what they are about, but I learned that they are a social site targeted to "Gen Z" (age 13 - 30) who thinks that "facebook is what their moms use."

During the interview the recruiter didn't give a whole lot more information about the company or the position (even with explicit prompt) but quickly dived into a specific problem the company want to address after I provided quick overview of my background. At the end of the call, I was asked to put more thought into specific marketing programs they could run in order to attract a specific segment and send my ideas to them in an email.

3 business days later, I followed up with a call to the recruiter to confirm that the email has been received. She then told me that through a (job?) fair and other channels they have found people with B2C (rather than my B2B) background. Feeling like I've been used to generate marketing program ideas, I asked why, even though my B2B background is listed in my linkedin profile and discussed during our call, that I was still asked to send her marketing ideas over email. I was given the same 'why we didn't pick you' reasons and that my ideas weren't as creative and suited for the targeted segment.

At the end, I feel like I wouldn't want to work for a company that seems to be using interviews as an idea generation channel, so not getting an offer or getting to the next step of the interview process isn't a big deal anyways.

I just want to post this, so if other interviewees pondered, like I did, why we are asked to develop marketing program ideas in an interview and over email, that they are not alone and think twice before spending time and giving away their precious unique ideas.

Interview Questions

Worked for Lockerz? Contribute to the Community!